The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me pick the right CPU and Motherboard
Old 16th July 2019
Help me pick the right CPU and Motherboard

I need some help and opinion with my pc build. I’ll mainly be producing tracks and doing some live instruments mixed in, so not much mixing. I would also like it to game, but the focus is on music.

I’m trying to decide between Ryzen 7 3700x and i7 8700k. They seem to be the best that I’ll be able to afford. The Intel seems like a safer bet, more tried and true, but with the MDS security issues and Ryzen stepping up the AMD is looking good too. I looked at all the dawbench benchmarks for the two of them. They seem pretty even with Intel allowing for more plugins, and Ryzen higher polyphony from my understanding. If I’m wrong about that let me know.

A real BIG issue for me is motherboards. I’m really struggling to find something that will work. Having all the io and features I want, good reliability, with decent price it tough. DPC latency is whats really getting me though. I’m new to this so I really have no idea if its something I should worry about, how big of an issue it is, or what. Its really a pain trying to find the right mobo.

Was looking at-
-MSI B450 Tomahawk or Gaming Pro Carbon AC for 3700x
-Gigabyte z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming Wifi for 8700k

I was looking at Aorus Pro Wifi too for 8700k, but it seems it has not so great DPC latency. Any other ideas for 8700k?

For reference I’ll have to get a new interface, so don’t worry about it if that plays in at all. I have an Apogee Duet Firewire, so I won’t be able to use that with this build.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

IF you ever want Thunderbolt, go for Intel/Gigabyte or AMD/ASRock x570.

I prefer the AMD option, if you do not miss any feature from the Gaming Pro Carbon AC
go for the MSI B450 Tomahawk and make sure to use a well ventilated case.
Old 18th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
IF you ever want Thunderbolt, go for Intel/Gigabyte or AMD/ASRock x570.

I prefer the AMD option, if you do not miss any feature from the Gaming Pro Carbon AC
go for the MSI B450 Tomahawk and make sure to use a well ventilated case.
At first I was excited I was going to build a new pc, but now it's just making me really depressed. There just isn't enough info online to find the right motherboard. for the Ryzen either the motherboards might not work or are like $250. For Intell there is almost no info online about dpc latency for the z370 and z390 boards I want. Only anandtech and hardocp test it, and they have such a small selection of reviews.

Especially since I won't be able to get an amd gpu I feel like I'm just cruising for dpc issues and headaches. Almost makes me just want to call the whole thing off.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

You may ask Sleazy_Rider how his system is working, check this.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
IF you ever want Thunderbolt, go for AMD/ASRock x570.
Would you know if any ones used that board with the new UAD Apollo X series?
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Head

Or you could keep your current interface and get a Gigabyte Designare z390 which has on board Thunderbolt and spend $50-75 to get an FireWire adapter.

I did this and it works pretty damn well with my RME Fireface 400 and 800.

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherbo...NARE-rev-10#kf
Old 19th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by plant-on View Post
Or you could keep your current interface and get a Gigabyte Designare z390 which has on board Thunderbolt and spend $50-75 to get an FireWire adapter.

I did this and it works pretty damn well with my RME Fireface 400 and 800.

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherbo...NARE-rev-10#kf
I though about that but there are no windows drivers for my interface, so that would be pointless. I've been out of the game for a while, so I don't really know much about it, but I don't think I want thunderbolt.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Would you know if any ones used that board with the new UAD Apollo X series?
No, but UAD Apollo X is new and Thunderbolt 3, so I see no reason for not be compatible.
Unfortunately everything is possible, but very unlikely...

BTW, some ASRock have TB header and three models have built-in Thunderbolt ports:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14461...erbolt-10g-lan
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14455...th-thunderbolt
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14550...aming-itx-tb3-

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search