The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonnox Inflator - 2019, anyone still using it?
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Sonnox Inflator - 2019, anyone still using it?

It's fantastic just before the limiter to eek out a bit more loudness/glue. 100% effect, input hitting the green bar area.

Anyone push it further than that on the master? :¬)

Any 'better' alternatives now it's 2019?
Old 11th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
It's fantastic just before the limiter to eek out a bit more loudness/glue. 100% effect, input hitting the green bar area.

I haven't found anything quite like the Inflator. Certainly that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I still use it when it works, usually on anemic mixes, or EDM styles of production. I also really like the way it can shape the low end when tweaked in the right way. It can give the effect of extending the lower frequencies without negatively effecting clarity. For me, gain-staging is usually about listening. I push things until I hear diminishing returns. You kind of can't fail in that way, because the speakers are telling you everything you need to know. I try not to go by meters etc...those things can be so misguiding. I do meter for "overshoot" and my a/d d/a chain. Otherwise it's all listening.

I remember asking this extremely talented mastering engineer why he was adding a click of 56Hz on his eq, and his answer was "because it sounds good." Lesson learned...
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

It’s still great
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yep. Permanent place on my mix buss. I don't bake the final output or anything but just add that little bit of je ne sais quoi that I can't seem to find anywhere else and miss once it's not there.

R.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Nut

Yes, still has a place on tracks for me.
Old 12th July 2019
Those still using it... how are you setting it up? 100% effect? Curve setting? Using Band Split or not?

Curious... it's been in a dusty cigar box for the last couple of years since getting Intensity.
Old 12th July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Those still using it... how are you setting it up? 100% effect? Curve setting? Using Band Split or not?

Curious... it's been in a dusty cigar box for the last couple of years since getting Intensity.
No band split, no clipping, 100% effect and dial the I/O out as desired. Curve is usually at default (Paul mentioned this is the point where the DR remains the same. Lower values increase, higher values decrease).

Some great info here.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Still great
Old 13th July 2019
Yep, still using it on some stuff.

There's nothing quite like it. That goes both ways of course.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Same here, still using it. Usually 100%. Sometimes in band-split mode for some more shaping.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yep. Nearly every mix. FWIW, I do more post then music and Inflator is generally on the ‘music bus’.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I find you can drive it quite hard with electronic music (mixbus).

How hard are you guys hitting it?
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Its a waveshaper, is it not?
Old 14th July 2019
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Alternative, that same thread will lead you to Intensity
https://www.zynaptiq.com/intensity/
Old 14th July 2019
I have both Inflator and Intensity... similar, yet different. Both really good. Been leaning more on Intensity (and then only occasionally), but was good to dust this off again.

Always good to commiserate on how people are using these to occasionally break out of old habits.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Nut

A mainstay on the mix bus for me. I haven't experimented with an alternative.

Using it at 100% effect but I'm not going into it very hot. Just like it for a little extra density and mid-range hype. Adjust the curve towards the end of the mix to see if it holds up to being pushed that bit further... normally end up between 0 and 10 for one reason or another.

I feel as though I use it in quite a subtle way but am very reliant on what it adds.
Old 16th July 2019
Using it a bit to bring subgroups that need more impact to the front. Settings similar to multi-band off, 50-60 % effect, -20-20 % curve. Volume-matched, the Inflator is a lot more subtle. Still a great plugin.
Old 17th July 2019
I'm curious about those who leave it at 100% effect and regulate the input level vs. those who ride the effect level percentage instead. There must be a difference in result other than the possibility of overs when not at 100%.

More importantly, where do you normally set the curve and what are your thoughts about it?

Personally, I have tried all the different ways and usually end up on something I consider an improvement; but I've never felt like I've mastered the approach like I would like.
Old 17th July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
I'm curious about those who leave it at 100% effect and regulate the input level vs. those who ride the effect level percentage instead. There must be a difference in result other than the possibility of overs when not at 100%.

More importantly, where do you normally set the curve and what are your thoughts about it?

Personally, I have tried all the different ways and usually end up on something I consider an improvement; but I've never felt like I've mastered the approach like I would like.
Paul Frindle recommended it. Enough for me :¬)
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I bought it for Powercore and native and have never really used it on my master bus because shortly after I bought a Crane Song HEDD which has saturation FX far superior to Inflator imho.

For me the thing about Inflator I don't like on the master is it slightly degrades the signal and makes it sound a little bit grainy
and less defined, at least that's how I hear it.

I think it's useful as a channel insert though.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Can you post an example of the of passing audio (or a sample) through both. I would love to hear those differences you describe.

What kind of saturation is the Crane Song HEDD providing?

Yoda, digital is it not?
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Funny you should mention. Haven't used if it years; just threw it up on Mixbuss right before I read this and it worked. I usually don't find it adds a lot once level-matched, but it's overall so transparent, it never sounds bad.
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Maniac

Inflator is still great, I use it all the time, mostly on submixes.
Old 21st July 2019
Here for the gear
Always!
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Head

After hearing it a few times, the day they introduce machine authorization is the day I get my hands on it.
Old 21st July 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Regarding "getting used in 2019", here's an interview I think from this year (maybe 2018) where Post Melone's producer says that he uses inflator to get the vocals of Post Melone loud and bright the way he wants.
https://www.uaudio.de/blog/louis-bel...r-post-malone/
Old 21st July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Regarding "getting used in 2019", here's an interview I think from this year (maybe 2018) where Post Melone's producer says that he uses inflator to get the vocals of Post Melone loud and bright the way he wants.
https://www.uaudio.de/blog/louis-bel...r-post-malone/
Nice. I used Inflator on vocals in the last track - worked a treat.

I don't use it on multiple elements that compete for the same spot, just the lead element(s) using on/off automation.
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Isn't the correct way to place the Inflator after the peak limiter on the master bus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post

Old 21st July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Isn't the correct way to place the Inflator after the peak limiter on the master bus?
Wouldn't that (potentially) defeat the point of the limiter?
📝 Reply