The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonnox Inflator - 2019, anyone still using it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

TransMod is just as old as Inflator. How does that one hold up in 2020?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Apologies in advance for the cross-post. I also asked this question in the 'demystify' thread, but this thread seems to be getting more traction so I'll ask here as well. Again, sorry!

-----------------------------

Can someone please let me know what other uses there are, if I am wrong about what I am thinking it can do or even if what I am describing makes sense, but Inflator does it better?

Inflator increasing density: I want something an instrument/subgroup/frequency range to have more density. Normally what I would do here is to use parallel compression with a very fast attack and slow release to create a blob of dense tone and then EQ'd to emphasis the area I want to focus on and mixed in underneath. This gives me control over frequency and gives me density for days. I'll bandpass if I don't want the resulting harmonics mixed in.

Inflator increasing loudness: Same as above, parallel compression but with different compression settings, by ear. I like using parallel compression for this because it brings up the bottom of signals without touching the tops of the signals.

Inflator for character and harmonics: I have some favourites here including PA Phil's Cascade, Acustica Crimson, SoundToys Decapitator/Radiator/Devil Loc and a few others.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I was put onto Inflator by the Disclosure streams - it lives on their drum bus, and I was intrigued as it really fattens things up.

Looked into it, and turns out Inflator is a straight up waveshaper . Effect is dry/wet, the curve adjusts the response waveform, clip is a soft clip.
This demonstrates it well https://youtu.be/B0yd3amDn8s

You can match it perfectly very easily using e.g. the free Melda Waveshaper (many waveshapers will do it - the built in FL Studio, CM Waveshaper, Izotope Trash 2..):
For example, to match the default Inflator mode with Melda Waveshaper:
- curve mode 1 pull the curve up (center dot as far up as it will go).(= Inflator at default curve 0),
- set dry/wet to match the inflator Effect setting
- adjust output volume, probably -0.2 or so.
- Done. Takes 5 s, or save a preset if you've paid for the plugin.

For a clean demonstration the video above feeds the plugin a sine wave. I tried this with an Inflator trial (demo period now over) by duplicating a busy EDM drum track and flipping the polarity of one. The tracks cancelled out to -65dB or so. Running the signal hotter into Inflator did not seem to produce any special magic, still just waveshaping. The clip behavior is matched in these free tools by pulling down the very top of the response curve. I did not quite manage to null the multiband setting (bit fiddly as then you also have to match the split points and curves) but can get some terrific tones out of the free tools, which also allow oversampling.

On top of the cost, Sonnox rubs me the wrong way with their manual and marketing material where they do their best to avoid saying it is a static Waveshaper (instead using all sorts of flowery audio language). The creator seems to have done the same when asked about it on forums.. and then there's the Cloud Ilok/hardware dongle requirement. Hard pass from me as I get the same or better results with free tools. Add oversampling for even nicer results (reduced aliasing)
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Didn't you post that under a different name on another thread? Some name starts with C?

odd.

I just bought it. I think its great. Took an unfinished mix from the admittedly super low level of -26 lufs to -12 with an actual improvement in impact. Easy to use. $30.

What's to complain about?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
Didn't you post that under a different name on another thread? Some name starts with C?

odd.

I just bought it. I think its great. Took an unfinished mix from the admittedly super low level of -26 lufs to -12 with an actual improvement in impact. Easy to use. $30.

What's to complain about?
No I have only one user on here, but I see many have posted similar information. I did just post something related on the "please demistify" thread. I felt there is a lot of confusion (and what I would regard desinformation) about what Inflator does, and that the information of its function was worth repeating so people can make an informed decision.

Yes, at the current price you may not really care, might prefer the Inflator interface and parameter naming, and you are obviously free to choose your weapon I have no stake in this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el davo View Post
No I have only one user on here, but I see many have posted similar information. I did just post something related on the "please demistify" thread. I felt there is a lot of confusion (and what I would regard desinformation) about what Inflator does, and that the information of its function was worth repeating so people can make an informed decision.

Yes, at the current price you may not really care, might prefer the Inflator interface and parameter naming, and you are obviously free to choose your weapon I have no stake in this.
Gotcha.Hey, it’s early days, but I find it hard to not be impressed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Same here. Tried it out for a couple of days before buying. Nice little plugin that will come in handy on a lot of things. Very easy to dial in, seems to work great on tracks, busses, master, cheap as chips ATM... what's not to like?

Thanks to everyone on the various threads for the "heads-up."

Cheers and Happy Halloween!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ugh, this or SSL X-Saturator?

I know they’re different beasts. I don’t really have anything like Intensity, Reviver, Sugar or Aroma and Inflator seems similar-ish. But I love saturation. At work and can’t demo either and I think the SSL goes off sale in a few hours.

Anyone know how long the Inflator sale lasts?

EDIT: nm I see 3 December for sale end!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How long is the SSL sale? Never heard of these plugins before.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
How long is the SSL sale? Never heard of these plugins before.
I think it was a 72 hour sale that started October 29. Over sometime today.
Lives for gear

price is automatic?
Lives for gear

Quote:
price is automatic?
Code “XSAT1999” (minus quotes)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks swartzfeger.

Also "xsat" must to be lower case.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks swartzfeger.

Also "xsat" must to be lower case.
So sorry! Oops :O

For anyone interested, EndeavorFX Contemporary Color just received a big update and no longer requires iLok. CC fell off my radar for awhile so I need to give it another spin.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Heb
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
The Oxford Limiter is an interesting alternative to more well known limiters such as FabFilter Pro-L 2 or iZotope’s Ozone Maximizer. Oxford is much “harder” sounding than those two - punchier, sharper edges, more of a sense of space sometimes, more prone to breathing when misused. It’s also more prone to audibly distorting low frequency information.

I quite like it, because the thing I hate most about limiters is the squishy destruction of detail that they typically incur (Pro-L 2 is especially objectionable to me in this way), and Oxford incurs very very little of that under most circumstances.

But if you are looking for a “one and only” limiter I strongly suggest spending a bit more for DMG’s Limitless.

Edit: Oxford Dynamics (the comp) can be very effective sometimes but generally I would not recommend it. Like the limiter it tends to be either extremely transparent or impressively punchy, but the hidden second release stage is so program dependent (and fixed/uncontrollable in that dependency) that it is to me hard to control or use reliably.
Care to share where you've got the info about this second hidden release stage and program dependency from..
It's not mentioned in the manual (really well written and informative as all manuals Paul has written btw) or by Paul in different discussions here..
I have always felt that the Oxford compressor does exactly what you "tell it" to do and have never felt or thought of it as program dependent..
Old 3 weeks ago
If the Inflator is currently on sale, stop thinking about it and buy
The UAD Precision Maximizer is also very good but the Inflator sounds a bit better to me (I've been using the Inflator for about 13 years)
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
If the Inflator is currently on sale, stop thinking about it and buy
The UAD Precision Maximizer is also very good but the Inflator sounds a bit better to me (I've been using the Inflator for about 13 years)
Where have you been all my life. I need this kind of decisiveness / not over thinking it / 3 hours of tests that could be used to make music.
CvD
Here for the gear

demoed it, liked it. came super close to the same sound with reasons scream4 tape setting, could not resist so I bought inflator.

at that price a no brainer, easy to use :-)
Gear Addict

is a simple effect/process but what it does, it does well!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
So sorry! Oops :O

For anyone interested, EndeavorFX Contemporary Color just received a big update and no longer requires iLok. CC fell off my radar for awhile so I need to give it another spin.
CC still holds up. I prefer Spectre to it now though for similar work. Spectre is a bit more flexible, but for the price CC is damn near unbeatable.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Loudness Penalty?

Do tools like this (wave shapers, clippers, etc) hurt you in terms of loudness penalties when submitting to online sources?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2studios View Post
Do tools like this (wave shapers, clippers, etc) hurt you in terms of loudness penalties when submitting to online sources?
That's more to do with your dBTP I believe, as streaming services may need headroom for SRC/limiting.
Gear Maniac

I have fielding DSP Reviver - does inflator sound similar - worth having both?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbita View Post
I have fielding DSP Reviver - does inflator sound similar - worth having both?
Different tools, worth having both.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
Care to share where you've got the info about this second hidden release stage and program dependency from..
It's not mentioned in the manual (really well written and informative as all manuals Paul has written btw) or by Paul in different discussions here..
I have always felt that the Oxford compressor does exactly what you "tell it" to do and have never felt or thought of it as program dependent..
Hi Heb! I've got no info so to speak, other than my impression that while the plugin claims to have a minimum release time of 5ms, it sure doesn't sound like any other compressor at 5ms release that I've heard. Perhaps it's the fact that there is a non-zero minimum hold time that stops it from grinding or fuzzing in the way that I expect super short release times.

I've read the manual, and indeed I've sent it to people who don't even own the plugin because it's such a great mini-textbook on compression, but if you have any further input I'd be interested to hear them. I'll update my earlier post as necessary.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On sale .... had to grab INFLATOR after demo'ing it.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
On sale .... had to grab INFLATOR after demo'ing it.
It is somewhat special! I'm a late convert myself, I've had it only for few years now. I grew to hate it when it was released as I had a partner mixing in the room next to me, and boy did he REALLY love it! :D It was on every track on his mixes, totally overused the thing!

Fun thing.. Last week I was making a remaster of an album originally released in 1986. Very cool and melodic stuff, extremely well played. The original producer was present, the mixes were so and so, and we tried to enhance his vision for the new digital release. I was trying out few plugins, tweaked the Inflator with band split on, and suddenly heard a loud "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?", scared the sh1t out of me, followed by "DON'T STOP, SOUNDS GREAT!!!".

Sometimes stuff like this is just.. Well great to wake up such positive responses.. But simply just fun.. as these guys have been doing it since the early 70's, they've seen and heard it ALL, and to me the enjoyable and random little moments like this, Inflator (which I used to HATE lol) makes an old cat flip out like that .. It's just a precious little moment keeping me smiling and thankful during working in the studio.

So, Paul Frindle, thanks to you too
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

This plugin makes me nervous on my master buss but it sounds great! Still trying to get used to it. Is everyone generally keeping it at 100% effect and adjusting the input/output levels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hw2nw View Post
This plugin makes me nervous on my master buss but it sounds great! Still trying to get used to it. Is everyone generally keeping it at 100% effect and adjusting the input/output levels?
Nervous? It should make you calm and smiling. On a master buss I NEVER use 100% effect. Instead I start with input and output levels to determine how much I want it to clip or not and then start sliding the effect up and listen, usually not past 25% to 30%.
Curve more often than not just stays dead center.
📝 Reply