The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Vocoder Plugin 2019? (Billie Eilish)
Old 2nd July 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
Best Vocoder Plugin 2019? (Billie Eilish)

Hey slutz,

Been creeping here for a few months and love it here, finally posting for the first time!

I'm wondering if people can recommend the best vocoder plugins in 2019! I'd be using a midi controller. Specifically, I'd love to know what vocoder Billie and Finneas used on their new album.

You can hear Finneas (Billie's producer/brother) using something here (linked at vocal starting point). https://youtu.be/ZBJ914ha6LQ?t=87

(And yes, I know, all of the other production elements and Billie's voice are what make her stuff really shine!)

I'm aware of Antares Harmony Engine, Vocal Synth 2, and Melodyne, but don't know too much about which of those hold up best in 2019. So all recommendations are much appreciated.


(And if it matters or is helpful - I'm a male singer/songwriter, doing lots of modern indie folk/rock, folk/pop type stuff, and wanting to experiment with some new, richer textures. I use logic. I'm a great singer already but I'm wanting to add more modern depth and complexity to my harmonies - a la Bon Iver, Billie, Imogen Heap, etc.)

Thanks everybody!

Edit: I should clarify this is for recording and songwriting, not live purposes!
Old 2nd July 2019
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Polyverse has one, too, in its vocal synthesizer, but I wouldn't call it the best--just it has its own character. Orange Vocoder from Zynaptiq is on the horizon, but we cannot tell when they will finish it. I'm fairly certain it will be one of the best or the best--along with having unique features. Check out free vocoders, too. I think TAL has one. Not sure if it would get you at all close to what you are going for.
Old 2nd July 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
I know you already mentioned VocalSynth, but that and Reason's Vocoder are two I've been very happy with. For reason you'd have to get your vocals to Reason and rewire it into Logic, but if you have it, it's worth trying out.
Old 2nd July 2019
  #4
Gear Head
 

ImageLine Vocodex is very good.
Old 8th July 2019
  #5
That was a really cool video! Thanks for sharing, had no idea he was that talented. I think XILS Lab is doing the best software vocoders right now, they make two really amazing ones.

The XILS Vocoder 500 emulates the EMS Model 5000:
https://www.xils-lab.com/products/xi...000-p-152.html



And the XILS V Plus emulates the Roland VP330 Vocoder Plus:
https://www.xils-lab.com/products/xils-v+-p-145.html



I own the V+, it's amazing, fkng love it. It actually comes with 2 plugins, an effect and a virtual instrument. The virtual instrument is as good as the vocoder, amazing strings, fckng awesome plugins.
Old 8th July 2019
  #6
A dude rocking the alphabet on an actual Roland VP330

Old 8th July 2019
  #7
Gear Addict
I’ve found the Softube Vocoder really easy to use when testing it against most of the other similar plugins. If it were native and the same price as the Fix line, I’d definitely own it.
Old 8th July 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout View Post
A dude rocking the alphabet on an actual Roland VP330 ]
Sounds fantastic.

What a classic unit.
Old 10th July 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
Thanks everybody for the recommendations!

Trackbout, love that alphabet video. Great stuff, sounds awesome. And glad you enjoyed the video with Finneas, you can see why he and Billie are doing so well!

Update for everyone - ending up purchasing Vocal Synth 2 just now. I used it on a trial for the last week and was loving the sounds (I'd get lost for a few hours at a time playing with it, and it sounds glorious), and Izotope has a bundle (currently on sale for $199) where you get Vocal Synth 2, Nectar 3, some debreath plugin, and Melodyne 4 Essentials.

I didn't have Melodyne yet, and knew I needed to get it as a singer, so I got to kill two birds with one stone for a great price! Highly recommend if anyone else doesn't have those in their arsenal yet.
Old 10th July 2019
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itswintertime View Post
Thanks everybody for the recommendations!

Trackbout, love that alphabet video. Great stuff, sounds awesome. And glad you enjoyed the video with Finneas, you can see why he and Billie are doing so well!

Update for everyone - ending up purchasing Vocal Synth 2 just now. I used it on a trial for the last week and was loving the sounds (I'd get lost for a few hours at a time playing with it, and it sounds glorious), and Izotope has a bundle (currently on sale for $199) where you get Vocal Synth 2, Nectar 3, some debreath plugin, and Melodyne 4 Essentials.

I didn't have Melodyne yet, and knew I needed to get it as a singer, so I got to kill two birds with one stone for a great price! Highly recommend if anyone else doesn't have those in their arsenal yet.
Good choice, that is a ridiculous deal! You can't go wrong with iZotope they make pro sh!t. Also Melodyne is pure magic, it's not a thing I need often, but any time i fck with it it feels like magic. Also Nectar 3 is sooooooo good, use it all the time. Nectar 3 is great for normal vocal EQ/DEess etc, but also if you ever need the "Autotune effect", just use the "Pitch" module, power on "Correction", set "Strength" to 100%, and set "Speed" to 0 ms, boom! Instant Autotune effect.
Old 16th July 2019
  #11
Here for the gear
 

David Finneas And Billie Eilish have been using TC-Helicon VoiceLive Touch 2's for a couple of years and are now playing with Perform-VE while working on new songs. Perfrom-VE can be used as a Vocoder/Harmonizer or you can sample a sung phrase then play back using MIDI, like in this quick video demo I made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPa8TUPStJE

Jacob Collier also uses Perform-VE on his live shows

Last edited by David Hilderman; 16th July 2019 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: added more info
Old 16th July 2019
  #12
Here for the gear
 
loopman's Avatar
I used the Image-Line Vocodex long time ago, it sounded very nice. I had Vocalsynth 2 on demo and told myself I will buy it next time I need it it is very nice. But since then I did buy the UAD Softube Vocoder during their annual sale for $80. There is one vocoder no one has mentioned: Waves Morphoder.. for $29 right now I might just buy that too. Nice demos here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv57...&index=20&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsox...st=WL&index=20
Old 19th August 2019
  #13
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilderman View Post
David Finneas And Billie Eilish have been using TC-Helicon VoiceLive Touch 2's for a couple of years and are now playing with Perform-VE while working on new songs. Perfrom-VE can be used as a Vocoder/Harmonizer or you can sample a sung phrase then play back using MIDI, like in this quick video demo I made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPa8TUPStJE

Jacob Collier also uses Perform-VE on his live shows
Thank you David, that's perfect! I'll be looking into that, too, once I've got a little more disposable income. (In proper gearslutz form... why use one when you can have both!)

Thanks again to all other posters!
Old 20th August 2019
  #14
TAL - Vocoder is great & free!

Meldaproduction - MMorph is insane!

Zynaptic - Pitchmap is really amazing & quite unique, kind of pricy though!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
Yesterday evening i started demoing vocal synth 2.
Holy mother of batman it's amazing.
It's on sale for 100 euros on plugin boutique. Will get it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump