The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Massive X
Old 28th June 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Stormchild's Avatar
Massive X

Some quick thoughts after spending an hour or so with it:
  • This is NI's first high-res, scalable interface. Finally! At 200% it's too big for my 27" 5K iMac. I attached a screenshot of what it looks like at 175%. Very nice. (Edit: looks like it got scaled down and overcompressed, and now looks like crap. Take a look at the official Massive X page instead.)
  • There's an impressive amount of variety in the presets. You can definitely hear the Massive lineage.
  • It sounds GOOD. Sure, it can do harsh, tinny, digital wavetable stuff, but it can also sound super fat, punchy, soft, warm, delicate, etc.
  • More importantly, it makes all kinds of sounds I've never heard before. Not just weird random chaos, but new sounds I actually want to play with.
  • I don't want to bag on Arturia (I really like most of their stuff), but Massive X immediately grabbed me in a way Pigments just doesn't. They're similar in overall concept, but the result is very different. Maybe Pigments just has terrible presets, but I haven't gotten anything I really love out of it when making my own patches either. (Anyone who loves Pigments…please tell me why I'm wrong!)

Side note: it's unfortunate to hear some people can't run Massive X because of the (previously unannounced, as far as I know) AVX requirement. Basically it means you probably can't run it if your computer is more than 8 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Massive X-screen-shot-2019-06-28-10.05.06-.jpg  
Old 28th June 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
So far, amazing!! Quite a beast indeed!
Old 28th June 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
 
FlameTop's Avatar
I cant even install it as it says my CPU is too old :( It's missing some later vector features.

I've been putting off upgrading my hardware. Massive X is probably a good excuse to give in.
Old 28th June 2019
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Some quick thoughts after spending an hour or so with it:
  • This is NI's first high-res, scalable interface. Finally! At 200% it's too big for my 27" 5K iMac. I attached a screenshot of what it looks like at 175%. Very nice. (Edit: looks like it got scaled down and overcompressed, and now looks like crap. Take a look at the official Massive X page instead.)
  • There's an impressive amount of variety in the presets. You can definitely hear the Massive lineage.
  • It sounds GOOD. Sure, it can do harsh, tinny, digital wavetable stuff, but it can also sound super fat, punchy, soft, warm, delicate, etc.
  • More importantly, it makes all kinds of sounds I've never heard before. Not just weird random chaos, but new sounds I actually want to play with.
  • I don't want to bag on Arturia (I really like most of their stuff), but Massive X immediately grabbed me in a way Pigments just doesn't. They're similar in overall concept, but the result is very different. Maybe Pigments just has terrible presets, but I haven't gotten anything I really love out of it when making my own patches either. (Anyone who loves Pigments…please tell me why I'm wrong!)

Side note: it's unfortunate to hear some people can't run Massive X because of the (previously unannounced, as far as I know) AVX requirement. Basically it means you probably can't run it if your computer is more than 8 years old.
What are some of your favorite presets so far? Theres not that many presets and so far I've been underwhelmed. For it to take this long to come out. Sounds like a bunch of EDM harsh sounds
Old 28th June 2019
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Stormchild's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGOD_OFFICIAL View Post
What are some of your favorite presets so far? Theres not that many presets and so far I've been underwhelmed. For it to take this long to come out. Sounds like a bunch of EDM harsh sounds
Some of the ones I liked:
  • Clean Strings — Might strike you as just a vanilla guitar sample but it responds very nicely to velocity and has some subtle detuning. The parameters tastefully shape the sound. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from a synth like this but I found myself playing it for a good 10 minutes.
  • Comb Experiment — Try turning up the modwheel just barely above 0.
  • Elizabeth — The beat continues even when you aren't pressing a key. Play a funk bassline or lead.
  • Forever Now
  • Magic Man
  • Matrix Rainfall
  • Vantage
  • Wintery Tinkle — Fortunately this is not a simulation of someone peeing in snow.

A lot of the patches may seem ordinary at first, but using the modwheel or tweaking the macros usually makes some interesting things happen.
Old 28th June 2019
  #6
There is no way to make an init patch is there?

The amount of presets is quite low, I expected more of them.

Some presets are cool, but some use a huge amount of CPU.

GUI is sweet, and is different on each patch. Depending on modules used etc.

Soundwise it is up to par to other great plugins that are around these days
Old 28th June 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
goony's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Side note: it's unfortunate to hear some people can't run Massive X because of the (previously unannounced, as far as I know) AVX requirement. Basically it means you probably can't run it if your computer is more than 8 years old.
This was stated in the initial requirements long time ago.
Old 28th June 2019
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Some of the ones I liked:
  • Clean Strings — Might strike you as just a vanilla guitar sample but it responds very nicely to velocity and has some subtle detuning. The parameters tastefully shape the sound. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from a synth like this but I found myself playing it for a good 10 minutes.
  • Comb Experiment — Try turning up the modwheel just barely above 0.
  • Elizabeth — The beat continues even when you aren't pressing a key. Play a funk bassline or lead.
  • Forever Now
  • Magic Man
  • Matrix Rainfall
  • Vantage
  • Wintery Tinkle — Fortunately this is not a simulation of someone peeing in snow.

A lot of the patches may seem ordinary at first, but using the modwheel or tweaking the macros usually makes some interesting things happen.
I like two on your list...

Comb Experience I like I set the mod wheel at 4.5 on Kontrol and the sound is saucy.

Vantage, if you tweak it some and use the lower octaves makes beautiful sounds. I just started a track using it.
Old 28th June 2019
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

This is NI's first high-res, scalable interface. Finally!
Indeed. I wish everyone did this for everything, but I get why they don't.
Old 28th June 2019
  #10
Gear Nut
It’s an unfinished product. It is not even in a beta state.

1. There is a search icon next to the preset browser. It does not work. You can’t search. It’s only decoration.

2. There is no Init patch or init or reset function.

3. There is no undo/redo function.

4. The presets are a bad joke. All my software synths sound better. Not because they all have a better sound engine for sure, but because I don’t buy synths with as garbage presets as Massive X has.

5. When you edit the envelopes, the graphical presentation (blue area) does not change. (I edited Env 2) Again, it’s not even a beta software stage.

6. There is a filter below OSC 1. It seems like some kind of LP filter, but if you turn it to zero, there is still sound coming through it. I guess I should read the manual. But it’s the first synth ever in which I could not use a filter at all by intuition (had no idea about it after three minutes or less).

It’s a pity because the sound engine might be good. I spent only a few minutes playing with it from scratch, but I created a sound I often create in synths. It’s almost like "hello world" for me.

It took me no time to make it sound a way I like. It’s rare I can make it sound good as fast as I did with Massive X. Besides, I like the visuals and the resolution on a retina screen.

Without knowing anything about the development, I guess, they had to release it after so much delay and early pre-sale.

It’s in a condition that you are happy if it doesn’t fall apart. They didn’t find a sound designer so someone from the kindergarten jumped in to make a few patches.

There is a chance that the sound engine is great. I didn’t spend enough time using it to tell, but even after a few minutes, it’s much better than I thought based on the presets in the "Best" folder.

In other words, in at most two minutes, I created a sound that was better than any of the presets I tried. And I’m a beginner. It’s not about how good I am but how bad the factory presets are.

In about one year, it might be a finished product, or at least a stable beta release.
Old 28th June 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 




Update - Massive X Does NOT Alias!
Old 29th June 2019
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
pcaudiolabs's Avatar
 

Excited about this one!
Old 29th June 2019
  #13
Gear Addict
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post

2. There is no Init patch or init or reset function.
There is an Init patch because I’ve used it tonight! Think it was just in the preset browser. Also, referring to your point no.6 - that filter is just like an oscillator tone control or tilt filter. The main filter section is to the right of the oscillators - fairly obvious!
Old 29th June 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
There is an Init patch because I’ve used it tonight! Think it was just in the preset browser. Also, referring to your point no.6 - that filter is just like an oscillator tone control or tilt filter. The main filter section is to the right of the oscillators - fairly obvious!
Yeah, found it under Basic

The 2 Oscs are really crazy with options, it is insane.

And those 2 noisegenerators have also the most wild options, very nice
Old 29th June 2019
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
It’s an unfinished product. It is not even in a beta state.

5. When you edit the envelopes, the graphical presentation (blue area) does not change. (I edited Env 2) Again, it’s not even a beta software stage.
Yeah this is a **** implementation. It needs fixing, and also a realtime tracking of the env stages would be nice.
Old 29th June 2019
  #16
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
There is an Init patch because I’ve used it tonight! Think it was just in the preset browser. Also, referring to your point no.6 - that filter is just like an oscillator tone control or tilt filter. The main filter section is to the right of the oscillators - fairly obvious!
I figured it out.

But if you look at it, by default, that tone control is labeled as "Filter", and the filter is labeled as "Asimov".

Yes, there is an F letter above it, as well as LP4.

Back to the thing you call tone control, I would expect at least the Gorilla being able to stop the sound. He is the king of the rainforest. At least, what remained of it.

By the way, the Gorilla has a cool icon. The other one I like is the icon of the ART.
Old 29th June 2019
  #17
Gear Nut
 

On my Macbook Pro 2015 the fan gets to work quite intensive after some time with Massive X i Live 10. CPU only about 20%. How can this be?
Old 29th June 2019
  #18
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqoulflutter View Post
On my Macbook Pro 2015 the fan gets to work quite intensive after some time with Massive X i Live 10. CPU only about 20%. How can this be?
On my Macs, I had the impression that whenever I use Reaper or Live, most of the heat (= fan noise) is generated not because of the CPU but the display/GPU.

Update: I found this on kvraudio:

Old 29th June 2019
  #19
Gear Nut
As for the Init, there is no "Basic" folder but QuickStart. They are there.

What annoys me the most is that there is no numeric feedback about any of the controls. (Same as Massive. Probably that’s why I don’t use it.)

If I change something, I have near to zero chance to put it back to the same position.

If they don’t want to display meaningful values (for example, Hz for a filter), then why can’t they display an abstract number? Something between 0 and 100 or -100 to 100.

u-he synths do it, and most of the time it’s perfect.

Having no feedback is just stupid.

Also, it’s a bit offending how unfinished it is at the release. For example, there is no right click function in it. Not at all. Not on the controls, not on the presets. Nowhere.

I guess I skip this one. (I wish I knew any other reason on Earth I upgraded to Komplete 12).
Old 29th June 2019
  #20
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
On my Macs, I had the impression that whenever I use Reaper or Live, most of the heat (= fan noise) is generated not because of the CPU but the display/GPU.

Update: I found this on kvraudio:

I am missing your link!

It is like this only with Massive X.
Old 29th June 2019
  #21
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqoulflutter View Post
On my Macbook Pro 2015 the fan gets to work quite intensive after some time with Massive X i Live 10. CPU only about 20%. How can this be?
Massive X uses AVX, which helps wring more performance from your CPU... which, in turn, means it’s working harder and therefore sucks up more watts to run, generating heat, and potentially requiring additional cooling measures.
Old 29th June 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
goony's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Massive X uses AVX, which helps wring more performance from your CPU... which, in turn, means it’s working harder and therefore sucks up more watts to run, generating heat, and potentially requiring additional cooling measures.
Not quite, AVX allows the same operation on several vectors at once, for the cost of a single operation. So this doesn't easily translate to "speed", it's more about how much data can be processed in a single operation. For some things this can be a great performance boost.
Old 29th June 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
Yeah, found it under Basic

The 2 Oscs are really crazy with options, it is insane.

And those 2 noisegenerators have also the most wild options, very nice
I looked everywhere last night for anything with the work init in preserat. Nothing came up. Even under search. I will try under basic.

But so far. I with with the , this seems like it needs a lot more work and uldates., Crowd. And it needs a friggin in depth manual. MX is far from a stripped down easy to use interface.
Old 29th June 2019
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
I looked everywhere last night for anything with the work init in preserat. .
Sorry, it is Quickstart folder where the basics are in
Old 29th June 2019
  #25
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqoulflutter View Post
I am missing your link!

It is like this only with Massive X.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...start=3105#top

If you don’t see it on it, Page 208.
Old 29th June 2019
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Massive x was a massive disappointment!!
Old 30th June 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
goony's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
no 32 bit support, hell i would of prefered it as a reaktor 6 instrument, ni blocks and super 8 kill it. Hell, I like massive more..

Also its buggy in cubase 10 displays in the window wrong...

Dont get me wrong, i was going to buy massive but got komplete 12 for the same price, so i got a lot of cool stuff like trk01 etc... So yes i am not happy with massive x. U-he hive, Diva, Repro 1, bazille are much better..

DF
32bit!!!! Ni haven't done 32 bit for a long time now, let alone on a new product.
Old 30th June 2019
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
It’s an unfinished product. It is not even in a beta state.

1. There is a search icon next to the preset browser. It does not work. You can’t search. It’s only decoration.

2. There is no Init patch or init or reset function.

3. There is no undo/redo function.

4. The presets are a bad joke. All my software synths sound better. Not because they all have a better sound engine for sure, but because I don’t buy synths with as garbage presets as Massive X has.

5. When you edit the envelopes, the graphical presentation (blue area) does not change. (I edited Env 2) Again, it’s not even a beta software stage.

6. There is a filter below OSC 1. It seems like some kind of LP filter, but if you turn it to zero, there is still sound coming through it. I guess I should read the manual. But it’s the first synth ever in which I could not use a filter at all by intuition (had no idea about it after three minutes or less).

It’s a pity because the sound engine might be good. I spent only a few minutes playing with it from scratch, but I created a sound I often create in synths. It’s almost like "hello world" for me.

It took me no time to make it sound a way I like. It’s rare I can make it sound good as fast as I did with Massive X. Besides, I like the visuals and the resolution on a retina screen.

Without knowing anything about the development, I guess, they had to release it after so much delay and early pre-sale.

It’s in a condition that you are happy if it doesn’t fall apart. They didn’t find a sound designer so someone from the kindergarten jumped in to make a few patches.

There is a chance that the sound engine is great. I didn’t spend enough time using it to tell, but even after a few minutes, it’s much better than I thought based on the presets in the "Best" folder.

In other words, in at most two minutes, I created a sound that was better than any of the presets I tried. And I’m a beginner. It’s not about how good I am but how bad the factory presets are.

In about one year, it might be a finished product, or at least a stable beta release.
I wish NI would just move to an annual support subscription instead of the update revenue model. I am going to do the Komplete 10 Ultimate to 12 Ultimate update for $199 before the end of the Summer sale, which of course, includes Massive X. I would just as soon pay them $100/yr for a continued support contract. It's not exactly unusual today to have basically paid public betas with this increasing power and complexity of these platforms. If the choice is to be part of the beta process or wait for a polished product, I would rather have it now, and participate in test and debug. You sound engaged, so I guess we have a responsibility to submit bug tickets to help them track and prioritize .
Old 30th June 2019
  #29
Gear Addict
 

Sounds excellent and you really can do whatever you think of. But they really need to fix Envelopes animation thing.
Old 30th June 2019
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
Stormchild's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
Sounds excellent and you really can do whatever you think of. But they really need to fix Envelopes animation thing.
I agree. They said they’re working on it.

There’s a feedback forum on NI’s site (separate from the main forum) where they’re asking for feature requests and bug reports.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump