The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The pointlessness of tape plugins and how they completely miss the point
View Poll Results: Which file do you prefer?
I prefer Tape 1
12 Votes - 25.00%
I prefer Tape 2
28 Votes - 58.33%
I prefer Tape 3
8 Votes - 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Good post Joe.

There are literally thousands of variables when comparing recordings - yet some people will cherry pick an issue and ascribe all kinds of justification to just that thing they're hyper-focused on.
Not sure if directed at my comment where I said I know what tape is "supposed" to sound like, but I wasn't talking about records/album recordings with a zillion other factors.

There have been dozens of tape vs digital comparisons over the years, especially back around 2010 here on Gearslutz when skepticism towards tape plugins was even greater.

Things like this:
http://recordinghacks.com/2013/01/26...pe-vs-digital/
And this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2quieLxCE0

And especially comparisons of drum recordings, digital vs digital-out-to-tape (the best example for me personally due to the way drums make me focus on sonics), which I can't find in an instant -- but I promise you exist in fair comparisons somewhere here on the forum -- all present a pretty clear picture of what tape can and/or should do to a single audio source, which is what I find most interesting.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I hear distortion in the lows on all 3 versions. Sounds really bad.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
so..which one is which?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmstudios View Post
so..which one is which?
The real tape is the one that "comes alive".

Last edited by joeq; 2 days ago at 05:16 AM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
The real tape is the one that "comes alive".
the one that goes off its reels and gets all twirled up ? :-)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just like the high pass filter was to tape, the low pass filter is to digital. Two different mediums with two very different characteristics.

If you let low end build up on a tape machine without using HPLs on each track you get a pile of mud.

If you let frequencies well above 20kHz build up on a digital machine without using LPFs on each track then you will get a pile of ice picks.

Practicing good mic technique is not shoving a mic down the throat of everything you record. It’s a good way to achieve no depth on any format. Mics need some space between object recorded and itself.

The medium is simply not as important as the technical skill of the engineer.

The day that the thread “Why do analog mixes sound so much better than digital” was written and Skip B. taught us how to use digital correctly, should have been the last day we ever had a reason to compare digital to analog recording IMHO

Pat
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Playing off the OP's thread title, if he feels tape plugins are "pointless" and they "miss the point", then they must be doing their job.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
The pointlessness of this thread is what I find astounding.

It is from nearly a year ago and still doesn't have a reveal.
It uses one already heavily processed drum loop to compare the effects of one tape machine and one plugin and draws a conclusion about all tape plugins for all use cases.

If I didn't know any better I'd be shocked by the bombastic, authoratative claim despite the lack of logic and rigor.
But you know, Gearslutz.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
Totally forgot about this thread, sorry guys.
Mind revealing? Rather curious
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

I vote for whichever has more cowbell
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Addict

Only 1 rule in audio: "If it sounds good, it is good."

So when I add the UAD Ampex or Studer tape emus I don't ask myself, "Does this sound like the Teac half track machine I owned or the Studers I recorded on in recording studios?"

No.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Ive never heard any tape plug-in that sound good, they all sound like crap to me.
Just a waste of money IMO.

If you want tape, either get a tape machine or there are two hardware emulations that sound great too, (Handsome Audio Zulu and the Neve 542's).
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Only 1 rule in audio: "If it sounds good, it is good."
Not according to most Gearslutz members. It's all about expensive gear. If it's expensive, it's automatically magical and awesome.
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky View Post
Not according to most Gearslutz members. It's all about expensive gear. If it's expensive, it's automatically magical and awesome.
well, it can also be a huge pain in the ass, that's also magical.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
well, it can also be a huge pain in the ass, that's also magical.
Yes, I love well maintained, properly setup, biased and carefully over saturated tape. For the most part, tape was a pain in the rear, digital couldn't happen fast enough for me!
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Addict

For me the match score between plugins and hardware is 1,000,000 : 0. Because hardware is a no-show in my studio on every session and plugins are present on every project.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search