The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Non-PWM flicker-free 40" display?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Non-PWM flicker-free 40" display?

I've been experiencing eye fatigue ever since LED displays went mainstream, and I'm 99% sure it's down to PWM brightness control. When I'm working on my computer, my left eye becomes fatigued, and I close it. When I use my phone, my right eye becomes fatigued and I close it. Using my wife's phone camera I can see both of the displays are using PWM and the frequencies are different, and my left and right eyes react differently.

I've just downloaded PangoBrght. With my screen set to full brightness (i.e. no PWM) and PangoBright running, my eyes don't feel strained. Unfortunately PangoBright isn't perfect, and some menus and the moues pointer display at full brightness.

This is severely impairing my ability to focus on my work, so I'm now looking for 4K 40-50" displays that don't use PWM, if anyone can recommend one that it would be very helpful, especially if you have tested it personally. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Wow, this is an interesting question! I don't have an answer in my pocket, but I think an OLED display may be a way forward for you. Have you already investigated this option?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I'm honestly not sure about PWM, but my BenQ monitor (https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/stylish/gw2760hs.html0 is flicker free and I honestly stare at it for way too many hours and have never once had fatigue issues. I also really like that it's a VA panel, the blacks are much deeper than IPs or TN panels.

All that PangoBright is doing is setting brigtness; have you tried lowering the brightness of your display? I usually run my brightness at 0% and still find it a bit too brigt at times.

Another trick to get a darker image is to set a custom colour profile and simply lower the red, green and blue values to get a darker image.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search