The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thunderbolt 3 SSD enclosure
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thunderbolt 3 SSD enclosure

Looking for the best external solution to add to my new Mac Mini.
Not set yet on Sata 6 or NVME but would like a good solution. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krubbadoo View Post
Looking for the best external solution to add to my new Mac Mini.
Not set yet on Sata 6 or NVME but would like a good solution. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Check out this post (link below) and then look around GS for anything @ charlieclouser says about SSD's in the context of music production.

[ Thunderbolt 2 SSD for streaming samples ]
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The post mentioned above talks mostly about tiny, single-drive portable gadgets like the Samsung T5 and X5 - but for non-laptop, less portable uses there are enclosures that jam four NVME sticks into a box that serves them up via TB3:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/express-4m2

This is just one example - I like OWC because they're very Mac-focused, but people have been using similar boxes from Akitio and other manufacturers as well. The competitors won't be all that much cheaper, and OWC have excellent support and return policies, so....

I don't have the 4m2 box, but a friend has one on his 2018 Mac Mini and loves it. Stuffed with four 2tb sticks that's 8tb at basically the speed of the Mini's internal drive - 2,800mb/sec.

I'm still using SATA Samsung SSDs in BlackMagic MultiDocks via TB2 with my Mac Pro cylinder, so I'm in the stone age with only ~500mb/sec speeds - but even that is plenty fast enough for me, at least until I jump aboard the new Cheese Greater machine.

SATA SSDs are cheaper, but the NVME sticks are dropping in price FAST, as they take over the market. There are some conveniences to SATA drives, but the form factor is outdated. If you open up a 2.5" Samsung drive there's a tiny little circuit board and a lot of empty space. So if you don't need to yank 'em and swap 'em all the time then perhaps an NVME enclosure like the 4m2 I mentioned would be better - it's certainly faster and more modern.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search