The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Plan for macOS users when MBP mid 15 becomes out of date?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Plan for macOS users when MBP mid 15 becomes out of date?

Hi!

What do you think? I have a MacBook Pro mid 15 i7, the last line of MBP’s that use the old chassis with great I/O in the MBP lineup. What do we Mac users do when these laptop can’t compete with the newer ones anymore? That is: when we can’t update the OS and other software anymore. The underlying attitude here is that the newer MBP’s aren’t worth neither the price or functionality (or lack thereof) in comparison as of today.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My ancient 2011 MBP was just orphaned by Mojave, but it still does what I need it for.
Mostly mobility, and Logic can load sessions from older versions.

Keep on using it until it dies or your business requires an upgrade, you can also get a few dollars for used machines.

It's currently my secondary machine, 2012 Mini is my workhorse.
I will soon pull the trigger on a 6-core mini.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hopefully they'll redesign it like they did with the Mac Pro for a mid 2020 release, because my late '13 might die any moment now
Old 4 weeks ago
It's going to take some time until those mid-2015 MBPs are out of OS updates. I think it will carry on for another 4-5 years and maybe even a bit further than that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You don't have a lot of say in it....Apple will decide when you can no longer use your hardware with their latest OS. But ask yourself, for what you're using your MacBook to do, do you absolutely need to have it running the latest OS ?

If it's an audio only computer, you likely have all the software you're going to want already installed, and most interfaces will work with OS's quite a few years old, so the system updates don't give you any particular advantages when it comes to audio work.

I plan to keep my mid 2010 MBP on Yosemite for several more years, it does everything I need it to right now, and I have no intention of bringing it "up to date" . As for my other computer (email, word processing, video editing, web surfing)....yep, I'm happy to keep that one more up to date.
Old 4 weeks ago
yeah i dont think the 2015 is gonna go out of date like others are saying. i'm still rocking the mid 2012 on High sierra and dont have a problem at all. granted i upgraded the hard drive to a 1tb ssd and added a 2nd 1tb ssd where the CD drive use to be. The ssd upgrade gave it new life and i'm happy with it. even being a 2012 i dont have out of date in the slightest even when collabing with others on newer laptops.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim_s View Post
Hi!

The underlying attitude here is that the newer MBP’s aren’t worth neither the price or functionality (or lack thereof) in comparison as of today.
The prevailing attitude here certainly has it's merits, however I think you have to weigh these things out with the info and opinions presented, then from your own based on your needs.

I have a late 2013 MBP and a 2018 i9 MBP. The 13 served me well but it was hitting the wall in terms of what I needed it to do. When the 18 dropped, it instantly solved all my problems. I've yet to max it out. The lack of ports is a minor annoyance for me. I bought a cheap USB-C adaptor on the Zon, paid for the overpriced USB-C to Thundebolt and moved on. All of the tech issues that were so widely discussed on the web never seemed to affect me. I would've like to have paid less for it but for me the value of it was higher than the price. It has earned its keep. We tend to defend the stuff we spend money on. I'm not sure if I'm biased or not, but at the moment I'm still very happy about the purchase.

When the 13 hits the end of the road in terms of its updatability, I'll either have a use for it, clerical stuff and whatnot, or I'll stick it on a shelf someplace where it will eventually be forgotten about. Years later after I die, my grandkids will find it when they're cleaning out my shyt and arguing over who gets to keep what. It'll get tossed in the trash bin with the rest of my crap.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi!

What do you think? I have a MacBook Pro mid 15 i7, the last line of MBP’s that use the old chassis with great I/O in the MBP lineup. What do we Mac users do when these laptop can’t compete with the newer ones anymore? That is: when we can’t update the OS and other software anymore. The underlying attitude here is that the newer MBP’s aren’t worth neither the price or functionality (or lack thereof) in comparison as of today.
You mean you found the 2015 MacBook Pro mid 15" i7 inexpensive? I think you can safely assume this model to work for you at least three more years. Barring some dedicated graphics card conking out. You got the one without, right?

Last edited by Mikael B; 3 weeks ago at 03:23 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
You mean you found the 2015 MacBook Pro mid 15" i7 inexpensive? I think you can safely assume this model to work for you at least three more years. Barring some dedicated graphics card conking out. You got the one without, right?
No, I never mentioned price. And my MBP is certainly not inexpensive. I know it will work for years to come, even when it’s not supported by newer OS’s. I’m not talking about the next coming years, I’m talking about the MBP as a relevant, mobile computer for the future. The newer ones cost money from irrelevant reasons such as the Touch Bar that is very expensive. Apple take away I/O functionality for the sake of battery as they say. Might be right, but still: the speed of these computers can’t outweigh the lack of pro functionality and cost for stuff that no one cares too much about (like the Touch Bar). MBP’s have always been expensive, but in a relevant way for being pro, but more speed (that we get with every new computer) and less functionality just isn’t a valid reason for this price in a pro product. And with dongles they loose their mobile functionality. So yeah, if not like someone said they’ll rethink this, in the long run the MacBook Pro will not be a laptop for me anymore, expect I love macOS and want to stay on that platform so it’s quite a conundrum.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, I never mentioned price. And my MBP is certainly not inexpensive. I know it will work for years to come, even when it’s not supported by newer OS’s. I’m not talking about the next coming years, I’m talking about the MBP as a relevant, mobile computer for the future. The newer ones cost money from irrelevant reasons such as the Touch Bar that is very expensive. Apple take away I/O functionality for the sake of battery as they say. Might be right, but still: the speed of these computers can’t outweigh the lack of pro functionality and cost for stuff that no one cares too much about (like the Touch Bar). MBP’s have always been expensive, but in a relevant way for being pro, but more speed (that we get with every new computer) and less functionality just isn’t a valid reason for this price in a pro product. And with dongles they loose their mobile functionality. So yeah, if not like someone said they’ll rethink this, in the long run the MacBook Pro will not be a laptop for me anymore, expect I love macOS and want to stay on that platform so it’s quite a conundrum.
OK.

I'm getting the 8-core MBP 2019. Except for the power supply (A fifth connector should have been there) I'm unconcerned about adapters or small connector boxes as I already use these. Thunderbolt III and USB-C connectors are not Mac-only.

I'd suggest you stop worrying about the future support and make music! Now!

If it might make it easier to let go of this, you can send Apple some feedback on the MBP.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You go out and buy a ThinkPad and switch to windows 10 so you don’t have to deal with the nonsense anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
You go out and buy a ThinkPad and switch to windows 10 so you don’t have to deal with the nonsense anymore.
No, you have to deal with a lot of other nonsense, even worse.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
The eternal question, Nausea or Tyfus? I know I can survive the first so I'm staying put.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Now that they fixed the os issues, the new computers are screaming. I actually prefer the lack of peripherals, I can hang SO many USB/whatever off of these ports its just ridiculous. And the speed is crazy. I have a 2018 6 core I9, I bet the new 8 core is insane. I have a 12 core upgraded cheese grater Mac Pro, but I never turn it on anymore because my laptop is faster in almost all instances.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search