The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
USB interface focused on outputs
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

USB interface focused on outputs

Looking for an interface that focuses on 8+ hardware outputs. Inputs are not important for this rig. Driver stability is a must. Please share your thoughts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
RME has a 16 output D/A converters
Burl can be configured with mostly outputs

But those are MADI units. In USB, that may be impossible to find.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hmmm. RME is a bit expensive. Anything 400 or less? Looking to map any combination of stems or mix minuses to 8+ hardware outputs. The track is already in protools, so inputs are not necessary.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrnxG View Post
Hmmm. RME is a bit expensive. Anything 400 or less? Looking to map any combination of stems or mix minuses to 8+ hardware outputs. The track is already in protools, so inputs are not necessary.
Hi,

I'm afraid, intended pricing level its bit delusional, sorry.

In general mixing with analog summing (just guessing the purpose) doesn't make much sense with cheapest budget gear.
To put that in some perspective $400 is around the price of one serious microphone or one 500-series module at used market.
You're looking for complete multi-channel audio interface with stable drivers (another tricky thing).

People, spending at least several grands for outboard mixer (or summing box) and effects, usually doesn't mate that with cheapest available interfaces for couple of reasons (like.. sound quality, lack of analog headroom, limited options for expansion, lackluster drivers).

So at smaller project/home studios, you likely find some midrange external interfaces (like RME, MOTU, UAD..) possibly expanded by additional ADAT converter.
And in pro studios, it's pretty much AVID I/Os, Apogee Symphony, Burl, Lynx.. and that kind of stuff. Those can offer additional features for PT rigs in terms further modularity, native DigiLink support (for more than 32 channels) automatic hardware delay compensation with PT software etc.

While you can likely manage to get say Behringer UMC1820 expanded by ADA8200 to meet your goal and have more than 8 balanced line-level outputs from computer, I don't think, it's really worthwhile solution for OTB analog summing.
I would rather wait, until I will be able to get something around $1500-2000, where is quite few other options, which are noticeable step up IMO/IME.
From mentioned mid-range external all-in-one interfaces.. up to some used professional converters (like Lucid, Apogee Rosetta, DA16x), whose can be nicely combined with something like RME DigiFace USB via ADAT I/Os. So you'll get both stable drivers with good performance and good sounding I/O.

Also from my point of view (YMMV of course), you'll get main benefit of analog summing, only when it's combined with good sounding external outboard effects for group and master bus processing.. because you can save AD/DA roundtrips, gainstage chains of effects freely in analog domain etc.
If that's just analog summing itself (IMO lot of people see that as magic missing element) and setup, where I would need to carefully plan budget, I personally won't bother that, stick with ITB mixing, enjoy faster than real-time exports.. and rather concentrate for other stuff (say good quality monitoring).

Michal
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,

I'm afraid, intended pricing level its bit delusional, sorry.

In general mixing with analog summing (just guessing the purpose) doesn't make much sense with cheapest budget gear.
To put that in some perspective $400 is around the price of one serious microphone or one 500-series module at used market.
You're looking for complete multi-channel audio interface with stable drivers (another tricky thing).

People, spending at least several grands for outboard mixer (or summing box) and effects, usually doesn't mate that with cheapest available interfaces for couple of reasons (like.. sound quality, lack of analog headroom, limited options for expansion, lackluster drivers).

So at smaller project/home studios, you likely find some midrange external interfaces (like RME, MOTU, UAD..) possibly expanded by additional ADAT converter.
And in pro studios, it's pretty much AVID I/Os, Apogee Symphony, Burl, Lynx.. and that kind of stuff. Those can offer additional features for PT rigs in terms further modularity, native DigiLink support (for more than 32 channels) automatic hardware delay compensation with PT software etc.

While you can likely manage to get say Behringer UMC1820 expanded by ADA8200 to meet your goal and have more than 8 balanced line-level outputs from computer, I don't think, it's really worthwhile solution for OTB analog summing.
I would rather wait, until I will be able to get something around $1500-2000, where is quite few other options, which are noticeable step up IMO/IME.
From mentioned mid-range external all-in-one interfaces.. up to some used professional converters (like Lucid, Apogee Rosetta, DA16x), whose can be nicely combined with something like RME DigiFace USB via ADAT I/Os. So you'll get both stable drivers with good performance and good sounding I/O.

Also from my point of view (YMMV of course), you'll get main benefit of analog summing, only when it's combined with good sounding external outboard effects for group and master bus processing.. because you can save AD/DA roundtrips, gainstage chains of effects freely in analog domain etc.
If that's just analog summing itself (IMO lot of people see that as magic missing element) and setup, where I would need to carefully plan budget, I personally won't bother that, stick with ITB mixing, enjoy faster than real-time exports.. and rather concentrate for other stuff (say good quality monitoring).

Michal
Thank you Michal! This was super informative. I will save my money and revise the plan with this advise. Thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrnxG View Post
Thank you Michal! This was super informative. I will save my money and revise the plan with this advise. Thank you
Hi and you're welcome.
That seems like good idea to me, as I've said before you'd have much more sensible options, if you save some money.
Even if that would be much more conscious investment, especially if you don't make any money with that and for example have that just as your hobby, it's still significantly more affordable compared to what such setup (with similar feature set) cost before.

In the meantime, you can also check guys from Cranborne Audio in the UK, they designed (AFAIK it's not shipping yet, there is also some thread over here about that) some super interesting stuff for hybrid mixing in very streamlined way.
http://www.cranborne-audio.com
There are two 8 position 500 series racks with built-in summing mixer, monitor controller and AD/DA converter. One model is with built-in USB audio interface, the other has ADAT, so it's suitable for expansion of existing interfaces (like DigiFace USB).
I definitely keep eye on that.. because it seems to me like great idea, which can save quite bit of hassle and money in sum for what you get. If they do that well, it can be great thing for small studios environments with current abundance of 500 series modules and keep that in manageable budgets. So far, products they did (like their preamps) looks like very well executed.

All the best,

Michal
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Perhaps try the Play Audio 12. 10 analogue outputs (12 if you include stereo headphone out). Simple and solid interface.

Designed for live playback situations so unsure how well it would fulfil your needs in a studio context.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/iconnectivit...ayaudio_12.htm
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
TASCAM US-16x08

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search