All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RME Fireface UFX - Multiple Digital AES Outs
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head
RME Fireface UFX - Multiple Digital AES Outs

Hello

I have a Fireface UFX

Using the AES connection in and out to my converters for outboard

How do I use another digital out for a DAC for playback, or an AES meter?

If I change the ADAT to use SPDIF it just mirrors the AES out signal instead of giving me a second out

Thanks
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kant3r View Post
Hello

I have a Fireface UFX

Using the AES connection in and out to my converters for outboard

How do I use another digital out for a DAC for playback, or an AES meter?

If I change the ADAT to use SPDIF it just mirrors the AES out signal instead of giving me a second out

Thanks
Hello,

You changed the Adat to play SPDIF, then you have to check your routing because you can send everything you want to any output, even with the digital outputs...
BUT
check you plug on the ADAT2 output. when you change in the driver from Adat to AES/SPDIF it concerns the ADAT2 output...

Good luck!
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Hello,

You changed the Adat to play SPDIF, then you have to check your routing because you can send everything you want to any output, even with the digital outputs...
BUT
check you plug on the ADAT2 output. when you change in the driver from Adat to AES/SPDIF it concerns the ADAT2 output...

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for your reply, I am engaging the ADAT2 in spdif mode in the settings. I read the manual and from what I can see if I set the ADAT2 to be spdif it mirrors what is coming though the AES connection, and cant output its own, so it's like you can't have a separate signal through AES and spdif which is a shame, in totalmix I just see it replicate when I set to spdif protocol, if there is another method that would be great

Thanks
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kant3r View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply, I am engaging the ADAT2 in spdif mode in the settings. I read the manual and from what I can see if I set the ADAT2 to be spdif it mirrors what is coming though the AES connection, and cant output its own, so it's like you can't have a separate signal through AES and spdif which is a shame, in totalmix I just see it replicate when I set to spdif protocol, if there is another method that would be great

Thanks
Well, I don't know how to help...
I did a test:
I have ADAT2 output set to AES/SPDIF, I can send a signal to the AES output and another one on both adat outputs.

Maybe your routing is not well set.

Driver is 1.167
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Well, I don't know how to help...
I did a test:
I have ADAT2 output set to AES/SPDIF, I can send a signal to the AES output and another one on both adat outputs.

Maybe your routing is not well set.

Driver is 1.167
Thank you for testing, good to know I am on the right path, I can send a signal via TotalMix, but only the signal sent to the AES actually sends the output through the physical connection

But I have 8 ADAT outs rather than two here
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head
In windows if I send a test tone to AES it goes through both the AES out and the ADAT2 as SPDIF simultaneously, I think it simply mirrors it but maybe I am stupid with Totalmix even after years, looks like I need the RME Adat to AES box
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

I would have to be there to know ...(any screenshots)?

There is a loopback in the expanded menu for physical outs (bottom row)

Just thought I would mention because I had this setting for a Camtasia video once where I was sending a loopback to spdif to input the audio via focusrite 2i2 spdif into Camtasia.

Just a thought.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I would have to be there to know ...(any screenshots)?

There is a loopback in the expanded menu for physical outs (bottom row)

Just thought I would mention because I had this setting for a Camtasia video once where I was sending a loopback to spdif to input the audio via focusrite 2i2 spdif into Camtasia.

Just a thought.
Looking through the manual I'm now pretty sure when set to SPDIF it mirrors the AES
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufx_e.pdf

I checked the loopback too thanks for that tip unfortunately wasn't that!
Old 15th June 2019
I suggest you ask your question here: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/

However, by using TotalMix I see no reason why you can not send separate (distinct) mixes to the AES physical output and the ADAT2 output set to SPDIF (I am a long time user of the UFX, but I have not had the opportunity to test this).
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
I suggest you ask your question here: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/

However, by using TotalMix I see no reason why you can not send separate (distinct) mixes to the AES physical output and the ADAT2 output set to SPDIF (I am a long time user of the UFX, but I have not had the opportunity to test this).
Thank you I will do, thanks for the advice!
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Hi,
I did the "real" hardware test here and you're right!
what is send on the ADAT2 out is a mirror of the AES/EBU.

I plugged a second UFX to really see how it works...

Sorry for the wrong info I sent you on the beginning of this thread.

Fred.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Hi,
I did the "real" hardware test here and you're right!
what is send on the ADAT2 out is a mirror of the AES/EBU.

I plugged a second UFX to really see how it works...

Sorry for the wrong info I sent you on the beginning of this thread.

Fred.

Hey no problem at all thank you so much for taking the time to test for me and let me know I am not crazy haha, much appreciated!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search