The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
All Around Go-To Compressor 2019 ?
Old 14th June 2019
All Around Go-To Compressor 2019 ?

As the title says, I'm looking for a new "all around go to comp" for single channel use (vox, individual instruments, fx). Something that can do a fast attack for vocal transients (along the 1176 attack time).
I feel like I'm currently covered with buss comps (townhouse, waves ssl, tdr Kotelnikov, plus 1 or two others)

I'm currently using the stock ableton comp & Rcomp. I feel like I need a change and I've demo'd and trying to decide between DMG TrackComp, Sonnox Dynamics (currently on sale), & Arousor. I dig all three as they each offer different types of styles within one plugin, but my budget doesnt allow for that. So for now I want to pick one. Also I like the idea of an "all in one" as to limit my choices and help me get straight to work and get the mix done.

What are people using for a "go-to" comp / opinions on the products at hand?
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac
I just keep finding myself going back to RenComp or RenVox. They just... work.

But if you are trying to find something different, you could do a whole lot worse than the Klanghelm offerings.
Old 14th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Fab Filter Pro-C 2 or Flux Solera. If you want a bit more oomph Kush UBK1 or if you want something more cutting edge DMG audio Multiplicity.

Klanghem stuff is nice too oc.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear
I am settled with Vertigo VSC-3, MagicDeathEye and sometimes Arousor.
Old 14th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Yeah arouser is very nice too, there's about a million good choices these days tbqh, depending on what you expect.
Old 15th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I am settled with Vertigo VSC-3, MagicDeathEye and sometimes Arousor.
do you use the VSC-3 on individual tracks? The VSC-3 looks good but I cant justify paying the current price for it. Although the VSC-2 is on sale currently, did you use that one as well?
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Guru

McDSP 6030
Old 15th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Yeah arouser is very nice too, there's about a million good choices these days tbqh, depending on what you expect.
Yeah there are a lot and i'm sure I cant go wrong with whatever I choose. I'm looking for a versatile comp that can do different styles, which is why TrackComp & Arousor are at the top of my list. They both offer different styles within one plugin. Now its just trying to figure out which to buy!
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriSoul View Post
do you use the VSC-3 on individual tracks? The VSC-3 looks good but I cant justify paying the current price for it. Although the VSC-2 is on sale currently, did you use that one as well?
Vsc 3 is my workhorse comp past few months. Doesn’t have a wide range of styles, but it’s like a Mercedes Benz everywhere I use it. Easy to dial in and compress with style. I use other stuff for color or bus.
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear

Slate's FG-Stress is more often than not my first go-to.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah there are a lot and i'm sure I cant go wrong with whatever I choose. I'm looking for a versatile comp that can do different styles, which is why TrackComp & Arousor are at the top of my list. They both offer different styles within one plugin. Now its just trying to figure out which to buy!
Well, Trackcomp has different modes that actually change it to a different compressor. They change attack and release shapes and distortion and everything. Arousor is great and can emulate other compressors pretty well but Trackcomp actually is other compressors with different control and everything. It's also way cheaper. It really depends on if the multiple compression types is what is most important to you. They are both high quality and can handle just about whatever you throw at them. You could also buy arousor then get TrackComp later because it's so cheap.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head

Klanghel's DC8C3 works really flexible for mixing.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes I use it on individual tracks. I also have it on the bus, but I replace it with Nebula stuff when I get to mixing.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Different styles in one? So does Kush Novatron, Vertigo VSC3 (to some extent), SPL Iron, Fabfilter Pro-C2 and more.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

About the only software compressor I ever use is the Weiss DS1. It's got some kind of auto de-ess thing that makes it sound less harsh than most. The Glue (SSL-style Buss comp) also sounds ok, but not really a workhorse.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
Well, Trackcomp has different modes that actually change it to a different compressor. They change attack and release shapes and distortion and everything. Arousor is great and can emulate other compressors pretty well but Trackcomp actually is other compressors with different control and everything. It's also way cheaper. It really depends on if the multiple compression types is what is most important to you. They are both high quality and can handle just about whatever you throw at them. You could also buy arousor then get TrackComp later because it's so cheap.
Always been interested in TrackComp but not sure if it brings anything to the table as I own El Rey, Vulf Comp, VSC3, Supercharger, TDR Kolienitiv, Townhouse, & ProC2. Seems like a nice comp tho.
Old 15th June 2019
Deleted ae681af
Logic X platinum comp. simple..transparent comp.

Personally I only use compressors for front to back positioning, not color. I choose to get that from somewhere else.

Vocals are another story and for that I don’t know...whatever works for the song. I like Manley Vari Mu on my voice.
Old 16th June 2019
Deleted e71ab78
I find Sonimus TuCo very versatile. Great on drums, bass, pads, following effects, anywhere.

It's become my main compressor, usually with the saturation off or just a bit of it dialled in.

Underrated in my opinion.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Always been interested in TrackComp but not sure if it brings anything to the table as I own El Rey, Vulf Comp, VSC3, Supercharger, TDR Kolienitiv, Townhouse, & ProC2. Seems like a nice comp tho.
I see what your dilemma is now. You're concerned that you're missing something compression wise based on what you already own. So what exactly is it that makes arousor different than what you own but not TrackComp?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Different styles in one? So does Kush Novatron, Vertigo VSC3 (to some extent), SPL Iron, Fabfilter Pro-C2 and more.
The thing is that Trackcomp has 5 different SPICE circuit modeled units, not different style, different compressors altogether.
1176, LA-2A, SSL Channel, SSL Buss and DMG Digital.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
McDSP 6030
demoing currently off your recommendation.. looks like im adding another plugin to "the list" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron View Post
About the only software compressor I ever use is the Weiss DS1. It's got some kind of auto de-ess thing that makes it sound less harsh than most. The Glue (SSL-style Buss comp) also sounds ok, but not really a workhorse.
i've seen the Weiss collection but dont know too much about it. is the Weiss Comp the same comp within the DS1-MK3 except without the De-esser??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
The thing is that Trackcomp has 5 different SPICE circuit modeled units, not different style, different compressors altogether.
1176, LA-2A, SSL Channel, SSL Buss and DMG Digital.
this is what has me thinking hard about TrackComp, you get 5 different comps!
the McDSP 6030 seems to be similar but with even more compressors.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
demoing currently off your recommendation.. looks like im adding another plugin to "the list" lol

i've seen the Weiss collection but dont know too much about it. is the Weiss Comp the same comp within the DS1-MK3 except without the De-esser??

this is what has me thinking hard about TrackComp, you get 5 different comps!
the McDSP 6030 seems to be similar but with even more compressors.
I use the 6030 on everything. There's so much there. I still like the Waves API2500 more on drum parallel, but I've used the 6030 a bunch as well. Whenever someone starts talking about plugin comps I just zone out, because the 6030 covers so many bases.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The UAD Distressor is so great (to my ears) that I could survive perfectly if it was the only compressor I could use during mixing. It really is a versatile workhorse!

I can imagine Arouser is too, but that’s pure speculation as I didn’t try it myself just yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm not sure if there's another Weiss comp model. Whatever package deal I bought back when it first rolled out got me the DS1-MK3, Weiss De-ess , and a Maximizer plugin (forget the exact name). The maximizer sounds a lot like the DS1, but it's easier to use (albeit less tweakable). It also has some pretty good preset options for making the source sound wider, etc ("Bigger Picture" preset, for example). It's quite useful alone, as is the De-esser, but I probably get the most mileage of out the DS1. I've got fix or six hardware compressors chained up that I can engage as needed while tracking, but the Weiss hangs with the best of those.

I hadn't tried out VSC-3, but I just added that to my very short list of "will actually use this" software compressors. Actually, the VSC-3 right after DS1 seems to knock it out of the park as far buss compression goes. The VSC-3 seems very transparent, yet tight, controlled-, and -- like the DS1-- flexible.

That's when this site works best: when you find out some great new tool that you otherwise had no idea about!
Old 4 weeks ago
You'll definately want to check out the Black Rooster VLA-FET if you like 1176s. It's in beta but will be out soon.

Black Rooster Audio announces the VLA-FET
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
I see what your dilemma is now. You're concerned that you're missing something compression wise based on what you already own. So what exactly is it that makes arousor different than what you own but not TrackComp?
Well to be fair, I have neither and I am somewhat interested in both. It's going to be really hard to get me to jump for another comp at this point tho as I feel like I have so many bases covered.

To keep on topic, I feel like I would be completely happy comp wise with:

VSC3 - All around nice musher
ProC2 - Lots of options and styles - good sidechaining
Vulf - Analog mojo
TDR Limiter 6 - Great mixbus comp at end of chain IMO

So I suppose I have 4 desert island compressors not one
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Well to be fair, I have neither and I am somewhat interested in both. It's going to be really hard to get me to jump for another comp at this point tho as I feel like I have so many bases covered.

To keep on topic, I feel like I would be completely happy comp wise with:

VSC3 - All around nice musher
ProC2 - Lots of options and styles - good sidechaining
Vulf - Analog mojo
TDR Limiter 6 - Great mixbus comp at end of chain IMO

So I suppose I have 4 desert island compressors not one
Sorry I mistakenly thought I was replying to the OP which is why I mentioned the dilemma. I can't disagree with your reasoning. If you're satisfied with what you have then I suggest sticking to it. We all tend to convince ourselves we need a new plugin when most of the time we just want whatever we don't have. I will say though that I have more compressor plugins than I could use if I wanted to and TrackComp ends up being used more than anything other than Pro-C2. Honestly, trackcomp is like Pro-C2 if it was an analog model. It has almost all the same features except a simple interface and its modes are all analog emulations with distortion and everything. There are so many times that I put it on a track, turn the autogain on, and slide the threshold down and am already satisfied with the sound. It's a great combo of analog sound with an easy digital interface and is the perfect complement to Pro-C2.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
I want to say red3 is good and transparent but I'm becoming annoyed that many cheap plugin compressors have no markings before -5db. How am I supposed to have any regularity with that?
I think they are just lazy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
The UAD Distressor is so great (to my ears) that I could survive perfectly if it was the only compressor I could use during mixing. It really is a versatile workhorse!

I can imagine Arouser is too, but that’s pure speculation as I didn’t try it myself just yet.
i enjoyed the Arousor when I was demo'ing it. it seems a great workhorse comp!

does anyone have any input on sonnox dynamics? or is that not really being used anymore as i know its a little older and alot of new stuff has come out since.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
i enjoyed the Arousor when I was demo'ing it. it seems a great workhorse comp!

does anyone have any input on sonnox dynamics? or is that not really being used anymore as i know its a little older and alot of new stuff has come out since.
When I ran the trial i thought it was great. It's an older plugin but they've still kept it up to date. Seems easy to use while still having tons of choices.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search