The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lynx Aurora (n) as main interface and monitoring controller
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Lynx Aurora (n) as main interface and monitoring controller

While I understand the Aurora (n) was built as an upgrade to the old model and most people looking at it are going from something similar to it already and most lklely already have a monitoring solution, there isn't much information out there about using the unit for a smaller studio being built from the ground up. While these may be different markets, I'm interested in the cross-over point of making it work for a more modest studio setup.*

I think I'd rather go with the*Aurora (n) over something like UAD because I don't like the idea of there being incremental upgrades every so often and the stress of dealing with sales and plug-in bundles. It gives me options paralysis and I end up never making a purchase! And then, before I know it, another, slightly better unit comes out with "better conversion), which makes me keep waiting for a newer Gen and not buying. On the upside, the Apollo offers a monitoring solution right out of the box, but it defies my logic on how they don't have an option to latch one single*output to mono for a mix cube. To some, that may be picky, but it seems like a pretty simple and useful feature if you ask me. Whatever the case, something just runs me wrong a pit the whole UAD ecosystem.*

Anyhow, the main reason for going with the Aurora*though is for the transparent, Hilo-challenging conversion. Im looking it as a once-and-be-done deal that will last me at least a decade, if not more.*

Although preamp cards are available for the Aurora (n), I have outboard preamps coming in, so I'm more interested in using the device for those, line-in's, and as a monitor controller.

I'd rather get l the*16 channel and supply 5 monitors (2 in stereo and 1 in mono)(and maybe a sub as a bonus, but I have other ways to deal with this) than the 8 channel and a monitor controller that could degrade the signal or*be redundant in terms of having having its own converters (I am looking at the Aurora (n) for its converters being super close to the Hilo after all..). This is also for a home studio that I want to be relatively compact if not reasonably mobile, so cutting down on gear size is a plus... Although I see you want to keep a free rack space above and below the Lynx for ventilation (UAD recommends one open space above.. Either way, I can place something that isn't deep like a guitar tuner in there or something).*

The previous unit seems to be have designed as more of stand-alone-converter unit, and perhaps so was the (n) as described in a Sound pure video and in another article (cant recall the link),*but since it's 2019 and Lynx is*already pushing the boundaries of the (n) being all-in-one interface by adding preamp cards...

Questions:

1*- Has anyone succefully used the Aurora (n) to control multiple monitor setups?*

*I was told the newest firmware allows you to control a pair of outputs' volume with the main encoder on the face of the unit to feed a pair of monitors, but not sure how easy it would be to switch between multiple pairs.*

2*- How easy is it to do any of this switching in the Aurora's*mixer? Can you also do the switching easily on the front panel without having to pull up the mixer? I see a video on YouTube from 2014 explaining the mixer, but I don't know anything about what's going on in 2019, and if it is any different or whatever.

3 - Can you sum mono to one output and have it latching so you can essentially run one single channel out to a mix cube without additional equipment?

4 - Very important! Can you monitor the inputs without using external gear? Or do you have to do a round-trip into the DAW? If so, how easy is this to do?

5 - Bounus Q*1: If all this is possible an you've done it, what has been your sub solution? A sub with a built in crossover or something else?*

6 - Bonus Q*2: Has anyone tried the remote control features of the Aurora (n) yet? I haven't read much about it, but if you've used them, what's your take?
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 4adc64a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianN View Post
1*- Has anyone succefully used the Aurora (n) to control multiple monitor setups?*
Yes, 8n in a small studio handling this fine.

Quote:
*I was told the newest firmware allows you to control a pair of outputs' volume with the main encoder on the face of the unit to feed a pair of monitors, but not sure how easy it would be to switch between multiple pairs.*
I haven't upgraded yet, so can't answer this directly, but I can say that I find using the software mixer to be more comfortable (can keep my head in the sweetspot instead of leaning forward to access the front panel -- I only ever touch the front panel to adjust headphone out when in the studio.)

Quote:
2*- How easy is it to do any of this switching in the Aurora's*mixer? Can you also do the switching easily on the front panel without having to pull up the mixer? I see a video on YouTube from 2014 explaining the mixer, but I don't know anything about what's going on in 2019, and if it is any different or whatever.
Pretty easy now, probably easier with N Control (haven't used yet). All the faders display on the mixer and you can just mute / unmute what you want to listen to. Unfortunately doesn't look like there's a solo control like with the Hilo for instantly jumping back and forth.

Quote:
3 - Can you sum mono to one output and have it latching so you can essentially run one single channel out to a mix cube without additional equipment?
Provided you sum ITB, you can run the out wherever you please. No "latch" on the Aurora AFAIK.

Quote:
4 - Very important! Can you monitor the inputs without using external gear? Or do you have to do a round-trip into the DAW? If so, how easy is this to do?
Yes, I do this all the time when tracking for 0 latency. Can control / route any of the inputs with the mixer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I would call them and ask them these questions. I have 32 channels of io in my studio and when I call in I usually get the guy who designed them to answer my questions. I think they sound great, amazing customer service

Last edited by mintytowel; 4 weeks ago at 08:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes, definitely ask them about these, their support is really the best I’ve encountered! They’ve helped me a lot regarding setup and fine tuning. I use their new Ncontrol mixer (if that’s what you meant on remote control) for the USB version under both Win10 and macOS and it works great. The new firmware allows you to access deeper editing options from the front panel but you still need the mixer for many things (like setting channel levels, muting etc.). I could imagine a more user friendly workflow but I’m sure they will develop the control software and the firmware further. But most importantly, the sound quality is crazy good which compensates me for any feature I’d miss or any workaround I (sometimes) have to cope with.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I think if they add a robust monitoring section through the ncontrol mixer, I'm sure a lot more people will want to purchase this unit. It has the potential to be amazing for sure... And the reports on it are amazing as is as well. But for those for those of us trying to stretch our budgets, have studio size constraints, and are concerned with reasonable portability..

BTW, some of the control features I meant were the keyboard shortcuts etc. What I'd like to see from any manufacturer is a desktop monitor control (with perhaps even a daw transport controller) kind of like the Avocet. Probably not in the cards for Lynx, but perhaps modo over USB or Tb or something would be amazing eventually.

I'm now planning on maybe going with a Hilo until the right time comes. I usually only track 1 or 2 tracks at a time, so maybe it's enough for me.
Plus it has AES and SPDIF which I need for my Kemper / AxeFX gear. Unfortunately, the iMac 2017 has no sigital i/o! Grrrrr.

It might be a little longer though since I have a few other priorities to get out of the way so who knows what I'll do when I'm ready.

The N sure is sexy though ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.m.junior View Post
Yes, definitely ask them about these, their support is really the best I’ve encountered! They’ve helped me a lot regarding setup and fine tuning. I use their new Ncontrol mixer (if that’s what you meant on remote control) for the USB version under both Win10 and macOS and it works great. The new firmware allows you to access deeper editing options from the front panel but you still need the mixer for many things (like setting channel levels, muting etc.). I could imagine a more user friendly workflow but I’m sure they will develop the control software and the firmware further. But most importantly, the sound quality is crazy good which compensates me for any feature I’d miss or any workaround I (sometimes) have to cope with.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
While I understand the Aurora (n) was built as an upgrade to the old model and most people looking at it are going from something similar to it already and most lklely already have a monitoring solution, there isn't much information out there about using the unit for a smaller studio being built from the ground up. While these may be different markets, I'm interested in the cross-over point of making it work for a more modest studio setup.*

I think I'd rather go with the*Aurora (n) over something like UAD because I don't like the idea of there being incremental upgrades every so often and the stress of dealing with sales and plug-in bundles. It gives me options paralysis and I end up never making a purchase! And then, before I know it, another, slightly better unit comes out with "better conversion), which makes me keep waiting for a newer Gen and not buying. On the upside, the Apollo offers a monitoring solution right out of the box, but it defies my logic on how they don't have an option to latch one single*output to mono for a mix cube. To some, that may be picky, but it seems like a pretty simple and useful feature if you ask me. Whatever the case, something just runs me wrong a pit the whole UAD ecosystem.*
I currently am using UA interfaces, but am also tempted by the N too. I think the Apollos have been around for about 10 years? And are only on the 3rd iteration, so not too aggressive in the updating department IMO. The plugin thing is what it is... I buy one here and there if I have a coupon, its on sale too, and I need it... Most the UAD plugs I bought I got cheaper than native versions on sale...

The no mono out thing is weird. I have an Apollo 8 mk2 and 16 mk2 currently. It's really more IO than I need but it's hard to let go of the 8 because it has the 2 HP outs and DI's that the 16 doesnt have. The 16 not having HP outs to me is more of a rub than the mono out...

DI's I could live without, I have HW pre's as well.

I did have a Twin MK2 for a min ( sold when I got the 16 ). That was a REALLY nice monitoring setup. Having dedicated buttons for mono and alt speakers was great. If I stay on UA for interfacing, I'm considering selling the 8, and grabbing a Twin again. Possibly selling the 16 for an X8 too, but am really just working on stuff now and putting off switching.

Quote:
Anyhow, the main reason for going with the Aurora*though is for the transparent, Hilo-challenging conversion. Im looking it as a once-and-be-done deal that will last me at least a decade, if not more.*

Although preamp cards are available for the Aurora (n), I have outboard preamps coming in, so I'm more interested in using the device for those, line-in's, and as a monitor controller.

I'd rather get l the*16 channel and supply 5 monitors (2 in stereo and 1 in mono)(and maybe a sub as a bonus, but I have other ways to deal with this) than the 8 channel and a monitor controller that could degrade the signal or*be redundant in terms of having having its own converters (I am looking at the Aurora (n) for its converters being super close to the Hilo after all..). This is also for a home studio that I want to be relatively compact if not reasonably mobile, so cutting down on gear size is a plus... Although I see you want to keep a free rack space above and below the Lynx for ventilation (UAD recommends one open space above.. Either way, I can place something that isn't deep like a guitar tuner in there or something).*

The previous unit seems to be have designed as more of stand-alone-converter unit, and perhaps so was the (n) as described in a Sound pure video and in another article (cant recall the link),*but since it's 2019 and Lynx is*already pushing the boundaries of the (n) being all-in-one interface by adding preamp cards...
The N looks great to me for the following reasons:

1. Modules, can get everything I need in a 1u box
2. Amazing conversion
3. HP outs and monitoring
4. No fan ( i was looking at the Red Line 16 too but wan't digging the fan )

The 16 is tempting though super expensive and a bit out of my budget. I'd consider getting the 8x8 conversion, with the 4 xlr/trs in's. Those can also be used as straight-to-converter inputs... For me who records drums occasionally would be cool with 12 ins. Esp is there is a AES or adat card soon too...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
The N looks great to me for the following reasons:

1. Modules, can get everything I need in a 1u box
2. Amazing conversion
3. HP outs and monitoring
4. No fan ( i was looking at the Red Line 16 too but wan't digging the fan )

The 16 is tempting though super expensive and a bit out of my budget. I'd consider getting the 8x8 conversion, with the 4 xlr/trs in's. Those can also be used as straight-to-converter inputs... For me who records drums occasionally would be cool with 12 ins. Esp is there is a AES or adat card soon too...
Keep in min Lynx recommends having 2 free racks spaces, one above and one below the Aurora (N). The UAD recommends 1 space free above their units.

I was considering an Aurora 8, but the 16 isn't that much more expensive for 2x the i/o... But I did see a tempting deal somewhere on the 8 with the mic pre card installed. I guess it would just depend on what kind of deal you could get and the trade-off.. If you really need the pre's or would be better off with more io.

For me, the twin seems like a no go because it doesn't have the I/O I need. Also, the conversion is inferior to the rack units, which are all inferior to the 16... I end up with options paralysis lol.

Anyhow, my new interface purchase has been delayed temporarily since I got an interesting deal on a mic I had on my to-buy list. Gotta shift some gear around a bit and sell some stuff before I can get back on my interface quest.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Keep in min Lynx recommends having 2 free racks spaces, one above and one below the Aurora (N). The UAD recommends 1 space free above their units.
For sure. I keep space above all my stuff that gets warm (hot): interfaces, tube gear, pre's etc...

Quote:
I was considering an Aurora 8, but the 16 isn't that much more expensive for 2x the i/o... But I did see a tempting deal somewhere on the 8 with the mic pre card installed. I guess it would just depend on what kind of deal you could get and the trade-off.. If you really need the pre's or would be better off with more io.

For me, the twin seems like a no go because it doesn't have the I/O I need. Also, the conversion is inferior to the rack units, which are all inferior to the 16... I end up with options paralysis lol.
haha, yup. me too.

I actually meant the twin PLUS the Apollo 8 or 16. They'd still come in less than the N, and have excellent conversion. Thats why I'm considering the twin with the X8, as for me, 10 IO would be cool. The Twin can be the monitor controller, while using the better D/A from the X...

Quote:
Anyhow, my new interface purchase has been delayed temporarily since I got an interesting deal on a mic I had on my to-buy list. Gotta shift some gear around a bit and sell some stuff before I can get back on my interface quest.
Nice! Got always have funds set aside for when a deal pops up...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey can I use the aurora n with no monitor controller? I’m looking at the Hilo I know it’s a monitor controller but this has a few more option for a few bucks
Old 3 weeks ago
With the new firmware you can use the rotary encoder as a volume controller for the monitor channels.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.m.junior View Post
With the new firmware you can use the rotary encoder as a volume controller for the monitor channels.
I don't have the N so I'm not sure, but I don't think it has a monitoring section specifically designed to making use of multiple monitors super easy, like switching between alts etc. I could be wrong though. Of not available, that would be an amazing update.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search