The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The best stereo widening plugin 2019?
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict
The best stereo widening plugin 2019?

I tried a few from Waves and some other one don't remember the name... they make the sound really weird, so I never use them.

Are there any new plugins (or maybe recommended setting for older ones that I can't figure out) that widen the sound without screwing it up too much?

Talking about instruments in general.
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear
I’ve been using this for the past few months and have been pleasantly surprised given the fact that it’s free. https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Microshift
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

I use StereoSavage 99% of the time, even for panning stereo tracks. It does more than just widening.

http://www.credland.net/stereosavage/
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Depends on what kind of widening you need. If you want a super stereo sound either use wider by polyverse or ozone imager from izotope. Both of which are free. If you want to add some movement and variation in the stereo field go over to Valhalla DSP and get SpaceModulator which is also free. SpaceModulator is amazing and if you don't already have it you should get it no matter what. If you're looking for full control over the entire frequency range then Mathew Lane's Dr. Ms is probably unbeatable. It you need mono to stereo the MStereoGenerator from melda production is great and simple. There are so many options. I also love stereo touch from voxengo which is also free. It adds delays in the side signal and you can control the delay time and gain and they cancel out completely in mono so you can give something great width and it will cancel out and go completely back to normal in mono. You can also use stereo touch on a send and then process it however you want and you'll then have a fully controllable stereo width send that you can keep mono compatible if you process it carefully. Most of these are free but every one of them is great regardless of price. Oh and also ProVocative from boz digital is incredible if you want a micro-pitch shift. I recommend every one of these ha. Mathew lane also has another width plugin and it's just one knob that goes from mono to wide. Give that a try too.

Ok I'm done now haha.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict
I just like to push stereo sound that has too much middle content to the sides without making them sound weird in a phasey way. Like guitars, synth leads, pads, pianos etc...
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

+1 for Voxengo Stereo Touch. I have been using it for years. I'm keeping it in a stereo buss, using send to adjust the width of a track. Sounds good
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

As mentioned:

Ozone Imager is good. I also like Brainworx bx_control.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Soundtoys microshift

Mastering the Mix Animate, the grow mode.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Ozone Imager. Free and very good.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head

Give this a shot. Really flexible and phase coherent.

https://nugenaudio.com/stereoizer/
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Goodhertz Panpot
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
I just like to push stereo sound that has too much middle content to the sides without making them sound weird in a phasey way. Like guitars, synth leads, pads, pianos etc...
All these tools. How about a technique instead...M/S processing with slight EQ, or delay or both?
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
All these tools. How about a technique instead...M/S processing with slight EQ, or delay or both?
This is a different technique and the result will sound different, especially in Mono. For example, Melda MStereoSpread performs frequency separation in multiple bands (2-100) and pans them, maintaining perfect mono sum (optional delay based widening is also available).
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head

I've got a few tools for enhancing the stereo image, which I use for different reasons, it would be hard to say which one is best, as it all depends on the source material and what you want to achieve. Standouts which I used or demoed below, tldr version for what you want, try leapwing audio stageone 30day demo or matthew lane stereo delta.

Leapwing audio stageone
https://www.leapwingaudio.com/stageone/

I recently tried the demo and I'd say this is the most natural sounding stereo tool I've used. Really easy to dial in, can push it all the way without things going to mush, makes my correlation meter happy too. Also great for enhancing fx chains and sends.

Matthew lane drms
https://www.mathewlane.com/downloads/drms/

This I think of as more of a stereo toolkit, very versatile and has a wide range of functions, can serve as an enhancer, fix problems with the stereo field, help center source material while expanding the edges, etc. Has a steeper learning curve than most of the other stereo tools I own, to match its broader uses. There is also a cheaper, easier to use version called stereo delta which is perfect if you want to just widen or narrow the stereo field without all the extras.

Nugen audio stereoizer 3
Link has already been posted by jay cutler

This one sounds great, is very versatile and has the best visualisation of what's happening to the sound. Can sound artificial if pushed too far, but very pleasing when used in moderation. Find because of the visual feedback and the way most of the important settings, selecting the range, width etc, are overlaid with the visuals, it's very easy to dial in, not quite as easy as stageone, not quite as versatile as drms, but has its own strengths and compliments both.

Brainworx bx control 2
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...ontrol_v2.html

Use this one quite a bit, mainly for tucking in the low end with the mono maker and sometimes a tiny touch of enhancing width to the mids and highs. Easy to dial in and comes in handy for tightening fx chains, spacious pads and unruly samples.

Flux stereotool v3
https://www.flux.audio/project/stereo-tool-v3/

This is free and has a useful vector scope for visualisation, has a handy width slider that I use mainly for narrowing, find it useful in conjunction with other stereo tools that lack visualisation.

Honourable mentions outside of stereo tools.
Boz provocative
Eventide micropitch stuffs, h3000, ultrachannel, h910 etc
Fiedler audio stage
Soundtoys microshift and my fav primaltap, does lovely chorus too
Xfer records dimension expander (free) and the hyper/dimension fx in serum fx
N.i absynth fx and replika

Finally for something a bit special that goes beyond stereo and can sound like listening to good music under the influence of psychedelics, zynaptiq adaptiverb.
Old 14th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Depending on the exact approach it can totally mess up in mono.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
I can verify that I totally can make a signal disappear in mono.
Old 14th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
I tried a few from Waves and some other one don't remember the name... they make the sound really weird, so I never use them.

Are there any new plugins (or maybe recommended setting for older ones that I can't figure out) that widen the sound without screwing it up too much?

Talking about instruments in general.
I was in the same situation finding most of these widener plugins sounding kind of weird. Then I discovered bx_shredspread, works great on almost everything! Don’t get fooled by it being advertised as a guitar processor...
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict
Thank you guys. Lots of demo work to do.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

There some on here I never knew about thanks fellas
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head

Airwindows Wider works nicely for stereo materials. I don't say it's the best, but is great option to me.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
It could, however the ME's I know of don't let that happen.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict
Sideminder by. Raisingjake. Studios
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks dione and Johnrick for mentioning the Ozone Imager.
I used it on my IK UNO synth, and it gave quite a nice boost
to the sound which is good off the shelf. I followed the Imager with
Replika and Colour Copy, played happily for hours.
Cheers
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear
Yes, Ozone imager is actually really good. I didn't realise I had it (must be part of Production bundle). Anyway, one of the best aspects of it, is that it doesn't screw up the mono compatibility in any way.
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

I've been using Wider, from Polyverse with some success. It's a freeby. "Mono compatible" as they put it. +1 Ozones imager as well...
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

iZotope Imager

The iZotope imager is pretty good. I've used it in my mastering chain to make mixes a little more spacious.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Take a look at Goodhertz MidSide.
Tilt EQs for M and S, Bass "Monoizer",different Stereo widening algorithms and levels for M and S.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutler View Post
Give this a shot. Really flexible and phase coherent.

https://nugenaudio.com/stereoizer/
This! I agree. Tried and liked a lot. Didn't end buying it thou...

Sorry, went with Post option too fast. I use a free Flux plugin and some brainworx stuff which I own actually.

Krešo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search