The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio interface with no mic pres and no headphone out?
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear
Audio interface with no mic pres and no headphone out?

I know of the Lynx Aurora audio interface that has analog ins and outs, and USB connection, as well as thunderbolt, etc options. Well, I was wondering if there were any other audio interfaces similar that don't have mic pres. I have a few great standalone pres already and don't want/need to pay for any built in ones. I also have a monitor controller already so don't need headphones out or TalkBack or any other features that fit in the control category.

I currently have an RME ADI-8 Mkiii as the ADDA converter running through a Steinberg UR824 and I'm not really gaining a whole lot conversion quality-wise by doing this. I'd rather just sell both and use one amazing converter that doubles as an interface. Like if the RME ADI-8 had a USB connection with Totalmix I would be set. I need at least 8 analog ins and outs to be converted.

Otherwise, it looks like I'll be going for a Fireface 802, UFX II, or the Lynx Aurora USB 8. ORRR just keep the Steinberg UR824 and forget all about splitting hairs.

Haha any advice or opinions?
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Head

The UA Apollo x16 sounds like exactly what you’re looking for. 16 channels of AD/DA conversion with no mic pres and no built-in headphone outputs. I have one and it’s fantastic.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Antelope Orion 32
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Head

Although it has one HP output, the Apogee Symphony MKii with an 8x8 card.
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear
Jeez, I guess I missed quite a few. I'll have to take a look at these mentioned. Do all of these have USB 2 or USB 3 support? I forgot to mention that's all I can connect with for now. Or I'd even go the barebones route of a pci-e soundcard if they can support 8 out and 8 in if companies still make those? Thanks for the help!
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head

If memory serves, the MOTU 16A checks those boxes.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head

Symphony mkii is thunderbolt, mki is usb.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yup, MOTU 8A/16A depending on how many channels you need.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict
Presonus just announced a 32. Chanel unit . No idea how it sounds ,but it’s a sure hit the right price point .CHEAP for 32 ins and outs .

Last edited by kmade; 15th June 2019 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling check
Old 15th June 2019
MOTU 24Ao/24Ai
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear
Wow I never even considered Motu. That's a crazy low price. The reviews for the 16A are really good. Is the conversion better with the 16A compared to 24Ao? Just wondering why it's more expensive for less io. My only issue with them looks like their software is web browser based. If my internet takes a dive (happens like once a month here) would it mess with being able to record?

I'm also wondering why the 8A uses usb3 while the 16a only uses usb2 even tho it has more io. Hmm. I'm on a Windows PC by the way.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head

I track on my 1248 with my wifi turned off and it works just like its supposed to. I haven’t done much on the browser app besides adjust preferences and sample rates. You would require web connection for software and firmware updates though.
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear
Ohhh okay. Makes sense. Thanks guys! My eyes are peeled for the Motu 16A, Orion 32+ Gen 3, Fireface UFX II, and Aurora (n) 8. What a hard decision. Conversion-wise what do you guys think are the best sounding out of these?

I know there has been talks in the forums already about comparing these. But those threads involved the original Orion 32 versus the older Lynx Aurora versus the older UFX and Fireface 800 etc. Not too much talk about comparing all of these newer units though. Any ideas or anybody out there with them?

Sidequestion: The price of the Motu 16A compared to the rest of these is nuts. There's gotta be a difference somewhere to cut the price so low or I'm crazy!
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear
I'll look into the mk1 symphony too, thank you. And the new Presonus I'll look into too, thanks!
Old 16th June 2019
Now that Apollo x are our the 16 mk2 are easy to come by 2nd hand. Conversion and drivers are great. TB 2 though. I like using hardware pres a lot but find using the comps or eqs in Apollo actually deliver what I'm looking for most the time. Otherwise new lynx n look amazing. Motu 16 is def good however I think they might be refreshing that line soon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Metric Halo LIO8
...ok you get headfones but...
You can add/self-install up to 2x4 preamps if/as/when you want and they still provide software AND hardware upgrades for all boxes they've ever made (10yrs+?) and plan to continue doing so. Also includes some powerful onboard processing. Seriously up there w Lynx etc sound-wise and just in terms of lifespan it's a no-brainer for me. Only way I'd change would be if they made a portable 4 i/o box.

Fwiw I've had motu boxes and also fireface, babyface and ufx and the only one I have now is LIO8 w 4 pres.

A proud kool-aid drinker.

Last edited by Sanchez; 4 weeks ago at 03:26 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search