At last: new Mac Pro!

It's here! Cheesegrater 2.0!

But....fugly?!?

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/

Last edited by zephonic; 3rd June 2019 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: links added
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

And people loved telling me PCIe would be dead soon.... christ.

Happy for the apple users out there though I'll stick with hackintosh until my arm is forced... probably by a T2 chip. Not looking forward to see the price of this though.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Nut

I'm scared to see what the price is going to be. Knowing damn well I won't be able to afford it, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

That Logic demo is impressive! I wonder how many people are still going to need VEP.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Crazy performance.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

28core, 12 ram slots, 8 PCIe slots?.... $100k base lol
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear

1000 audio tracks and 1000 software instruments in Logic - definitely a major improvement over the previous limitations.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Head

WANT
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Starting at $5999....noooooo....

I guess my next desktop will be a Mini

Great that it's rack-mountable, though
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

hahahaha the boos about the display stand, and the ****ing 200 dollar vesa mount. Well deserved.

edit: it's 200 dollars, not 100. Even better. lol
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Did he, did he just say $5,999?

Christ, I can’t even imagine what they will be in Pounds Sterling.

Looks like it’s the end of the road for me and Mac Pro’s
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnintoaqueen View Post
Did he, did he just say $5,999?

Christ, I can’t even imagine what they will be in Pounds Sterling.

Looks like it’s the end of the road for me and Mac Pro’s
Dont worry, it will only be $5500 street price. And then you get 256 GB SDD! A 1/4 storage of a top model phone!
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Head

$5,999

8-Core Xeon
32GB Ram
256GB SSD
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear
LOL.

I will buy a high end microphone instead, since it has zero latency.

They completely lost it:
- Design (it's a high end PC)
- Price
- Power Supply & Consumption
- Fans
- 99% Intel 14nm
- etc.

Maybe I'll buy it, in 5 years on the used market at max 3k USD.

Btw. did you notice their pricing on the monitor stand?
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Dont worry, it will only be $5500 street price. And then you get 256 GB SDD! A 1/4 storage of a top model phone!
No doubt my current Mac Pro will now mysteriously but noticeably start deteriorating in performance too with every update.

I get the feeling this is a big “**** you” from apple to everybody who has been blagging them for a “pro” product.

‘Yeah we’ll build you one but you’re going to pay through the nose for it’- sort of thing
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear
They more than doubled the entry price to the pro line...
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
LOL.

They completely lost it:
- Price
- Fans
- 99% Intel 14nm
- etc.

Btw. did you notice their pricing on the monitor stand?
They've hardly lost it, this is what pro users have been asking for years.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Head

I was hoping the new Mac Pro would cause a nice drop in price of the used trash cans, but they might jump up now considering the price of these new pros.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
LOL.

They completely lost it:
- Price
- Fans
- 99% Intel 14nm
- etc.

The dynamic range seems not be be that good. If it was proper modular they should have i7 and i9 models on it too. And it should have intel graphics, now you buy a 580 card. That is a heat and power consumer that is not needed for a DAW. It is only 300 watt, and only 6 memory slots. But nothing about that security arm processor that has caused lot of headache in audio community. (But still it might be there). Seems to be a nice machine though. But it is at least $2000 US for the apple logotype.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

I never thought I’d see them bring back pci slots and I definitely wasn’t expecting another cheesegrater design. I’ll happily stick with my 6-core, 512GB SSD trashcan (that everyone hates on) that I only paid 2k for years ago for many years to come.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

At $5999, it should have at least had the same spec as the base iMac Pro. Hard to explain that one away...
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

$6000 for a base model?!?

Outrageous, even for Apple.
Old 3rd June 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Good thing the cost of ownership is so low.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
It's here! Cheesegrater 2.0!

But....fugly?!?
"My funny valentine..."

"Now is the winter of mac pro discontent made glorious summer starting at 6 grand..." Only makes me feel better about getting off mac a couple of years ago. Still curious about the details as they come out:

Is ram user upgradeable?
Is ssd user upgradeable?
What does it cost for a really powerful model.
Is the last mac pro? How will we know as the model is many years from one to the next...

I am sure there is a use case where this is a great computer--like a full time professional of some sort. I am guessing the video card is great for video editing or animation. Get that nice 4 grand monitor to go with it!

Is this a thing that would replace a farm of servers used by high end midi orchestra types with their 1000 instrument templates and ve pro side computers?

In my mind, it was a 50/50 that this would ever happen, I was 100% sure it would be very pricey if it did come out--so one guess right--but admittedly not the only one who saw that coming--especially after the mini refresh.

No doubt some here find this really good news, so good for them. How many of the loyal mac users, who have waited patiently for so many years for their hero to come to the rescue, find this a moment that defines the end of the road?

Am I the only one here who finds the entry level price shocking wile the specs of the entry level don't seem like anybody would find the entry level spec worth upgrading to? Same feeling I had since trash can came out.

I also note there was much speculation that this would debut a non-intel chip--with perhaps an apple specific chip? That didn't happen.

Is the video card designed to be proprietary to discourage hacks based on this model?

I think apple made it ugly so they would not be accused of putting form over function yet again...

Last edited by ponzi; 3rd June 2019 at 09:15 PM..
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0ckout View Post
They've hardly lost it, this is what pro users have been asking for years.
Exactly 0 persons were looking for a $6000 tower with $2000 tower specs. What a f'ing disaster.

There was never a better time to build a hackintosh guys... stop putting it off waiting for Apple to get reasonable, it's over.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Interested about SSDs.. they look like half-length NVMe or something like that... and they're very vague about the encryption and types etc... no SATA ports at all though, or space for NVMe full length drives maybe!?
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

It's great for what it is, but at $6K they should have stuck in a larger SSD.

I'm afraid I'm no longer in the Mac Pro user category. I love that they prioritized function over form, love that it's rack-mountable, love that you can get it with wheels, but it's expensive and uncharacteristically ugly for an Apple product.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Like the previous Mac Pro, this one is specced for video people.

I'm pretty sure that for audio, the i9 iMac Pro will meet or beat the base leven new Mac Pro, for a little over half the price.
Includes a nice display too.

Those 8-core (and up) i9s look like they are more than enough crazy powerful for most audio people.

I don't see the need to go Mac Pro for real time audio anymore.
If I want that i9 in a box in stead of an iMac (which I do), I'll probably just build a pc or hack.

6k for a base level Mac Pro is not appealing to most audio pros I know. It's overkill without a significant performance boost where it matters for most audio people, I think.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Mac mini it is for Logic and stuff and new AMD Zen 2 for other stuff I guess.

I know that's not he same as one of these but at the end of the day Apple doesn't build or care to build machines that aren't overkill for most professional tasks. I would build a hackintosh but I don't want to deal with the hassle.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I don't see the need to go Mac Pro for real time audio anymore.
Cooling. Computers get hot under sustained loads. With a couple of instances of Omnisphere, Kontakt and whatnot, temps go up pretty quickly. With proper cooling, your machine is not going to throttle. iMacs will definitely throttle.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search