The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
At last: new Mac Pro!
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvi View Post
this thread is amazing. All stuff is discussed here. Just to kill the time until the nmp is here...
We don't need no stinkin' NMP
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Addict
This kind of says it all... (And no, this is not a joke...)

Melda officially releases statement suggesting Mac Users switch to Windows, citing Catalina as disruptive for the audio industry:

"OSX Catalina turns the audio industry upside down. Perhaps you are tired with that..."

https://www.meldaproduction.com/text...osx-to-windows
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post

Melda officially releases statement suggesting Mac Users switch to Windows, citing Catalina as disruptive for the audio industry:

"OSX Catalina turns the audio industry upside down. Perhaps you are tired with that..."

They are absolutely right (and I'm using a macbook pro).

And I find it great they have the courage to speak about that publicly (and I don't own any Melda plugin) !

These OS upgrades each year are a pain in the ass, and are an absolute disrespectful behavior from Apple. Not only for us customers (we can wait few years before upgrading) but mainly for developers, who spend part of their annual working time fixing all the non-sensical mods Apple impose to everybody (come on : what did they bring since Mavericks that needed one new OS each year ?).
And at the end of the day, we (customers) are paying this working time to the developers when we buy their plugins - even the windows users pay that extra working time by the way !

I love my macbook (an old 2012 model - you know, the last one on which you can change SSD and RAM), but I hate what Apple became...

Nice one Melda !
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

There should be more developers like the Melda guy. Maybe it'd result in Apple to at least think about the possibility of getting a clue. Unlikely but still...
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

I just sent them an email for tell them I liked their last newsletter (it's funny, because I was never interested in Melda plugins).

I think they should unite with some other developers and launch a petition asking Apple to stop their non-sensical disruptive strategy.
They could even decide collectively (with other developers) to switch the support of one OS on two : anyway, I think most of the pro consumers are waiting few years before upgrading and only because they are obliged.

I don't think Apple gives a $hit about pro audio consumers (and developers), because the earn billions selling 1500$ phones (that breaks in the pocket or fall on the floor each 2 years), but it could be something to start.

Personnaly, I would fully support such a decision, and I will always support small business more than all this feudal oligarchic capitalism.

Old 19 hours ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
There should be more developers like the Melda guy. Maybe it'd result in Apple to at least think about the possibility of getting a clue. Unlikely but still...
Totally agree. Also well said Calagan... It'd take a critical mass of developers to have any impact on Apple's perception. It's pretty obvious there's a bubble at Apple and they're completely unaware of outside perception. It would be nice however if a few other sizable developers stepped up and made a similar statement...

I submitted feedback with a link after I received this. I realize it'll accomplish **** all... But nothing wrong with making an effort.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvi View Post
this thread is amazing. All stuff is discussed here. Just to kill the time until the nmp is here...
hurry up already Apple
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

199 Pounds for a delay plugin?
And they say Apples are overpriced
Quote:

Old 18 hours ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
199 Pounds for a delay plugin?
And they say Apples are overpriced
Oh. Like Soundtoys Echoboy? Yeah everyone hates that plugin. Plus no one really likes Soundtoys anyway.
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Guru

Even Forbes are dissing Apple:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...en-update/amp/

Alistair
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post

Alistair
I think this article will make some noise at Apple.
I don't see why its such a big deal from a technical standpoint
anyhow. It seems 32 bit and 64 bit have been fine together
for years on OSX (Mac OS) and since Windows 7..

I don't remember the specifics; but I thought OSX was able to
boot 32 bit EFI, a 32 bit kernel but still be able to access 64 bit user space
to run 32 bit or 64 bit along side each other since 10.6 (Snow Leo)
If my memory serves correctly;I was also sure that the library files were shared between 32/64 apps.

Windows has separate library files folders. C:\windows\system32 and WOW64 folders.....

It seems like Apple was bragging about this years ago as a marketing
thing because you didn't have to choose between a 64 or 32 bit version of OSX
like you did in Windows.
But the option to boot a 32 bit EFI, 32 bit kernel, or a if your mac was able
to boot 64 bit EFI and 64 Kernel everything was great, no issues..it just works.
I guess that's why you could always choose to run Logic or Cubase in 32 bit if you wanted....
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
I think this article will make some noise at Apple.
I'm afraid the only thing to make some noise at Apple is people stopping to buy their nonsense.
But you can even observe it in this thread.
"Oh yeah, the prices could be lower, I also wish I could be using my older software - but hey, I can't await buying the new Mac Pro!"
Business as usual. And as long as it works out (which it seems to do just fine), Apple will never change a single damn thing. Ok apart from "Hey, we listened to our users and changed our SSD update prices from super-mega-ridiculously expensive to just super-ridiculously expensive!". Oh, and they're giving us a configurable computer for the price of a space shuttle.
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
I'm afraid the only thing to make some noise at Apple is people stopping to buy their nonsense.
But you can even observe it in this thread.
"Oh yeah, the prices could be lower, I also wish I could be using my older software - but hey, I can't await buying the new Mac Pro!"
Business as usual. And as long as it works out (which it seems to do just fine), Apple will never change a single damn thing. Ok apart from "Hey, we listened to our users and changed our SSD update prices from super-mega-ridiculously expensive to just super-ridiculously expensive!". Oh, and they're giving us a configurable computer for the price of a space shuttle.
lol..
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post

Alistair
Terrible article. Then i read another one from him "Why the macbook pro isn't the macbook pro" or something like that, and it's even worse. The guy seems to have no idea what he is talking about. Of all the critical arguments made against Cook and the present Apple, this is the worse argumented articles I've read. It's so badly argumented, it may even have the reverse effect on the reader...

It's not that the conclusions are wrong, but the way he tries to prove his point makes no sense to me. " The proof that Cook is focusing on the iPhone to the detriment of the mac is because uh...uh... the iphone syncs with the mac ! "
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Addict

Probably just a guy who bought an expensive Apple product that
broke just outside of warranty of something...lol..
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Dude, you must be on crack.

I own the entire Soundtoys suite! It cost me $249. That’s less than a delay plugin from those guys

that delay plugin must be so much better than Echoboy and every single other Soundtoys plugin combined to cost 199 pounds

Think I might switch to PC if all y’all plugins are such great value

Quote:
Oh. Like Soundtoys Echoboy? Yeah everyone hates that plugin. Plus no one really likes Soundtoys anyway.
Old 4 hours ago
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Terrible article. Then i read another one from him "Why the macbook pro isn't the macbook pro" or something like that, and it's even worse. The guy seems to have no idea what he is talking about. Of all the critical arguments made against Cook and the present Apple, this is the worse argumented articles I've read. It's so badly argumented, it may even have the reverse effect on the reader...

It's not that the conclusions are wrong, but the way he tries to prove his point makes no sense to me. " The proof that Cook is focusing on the iPhone to the detriment of the mac is because uh...uh... the iphone syncs with the mac ! "

Journalists, nowadays, are pretty much clueless - about anything.

Years ago, I was invited by the BBC to an interview about deep psychological/spiritual issues. I was asked if I wanted to be interviewed in Brighton, which is where I was living at the time. Along came a gal in her 20s who was very friendly but had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Waste of time, entirely.

EDIT: I should have actually read the article before commenting. I think the author makes good points about Apple's disconnect from power users and what he labels "various digital minorities".

Silicon Valley is afflicted by groupthink and a worrying affinity with Chinese communist ideology.

Last edited by Tui; 3 hours ago at 02:18 PM..
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Silicon Valley is afflicted by groupthink and a worrying affinity with Chinese communist ideology.
I remember some years ago the opposite effect was one of the rationals for economically partnering with communist China and exporting our manufacturing base to them. As China prospered they’d become more like us politically.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search