The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
At last: new Mac Pro!
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
How much will the lease be? Does Apple supply a leasing program?
Google is your friend. Depends what country you are in.

Here in Australia it’s possible to fully deduct the cost of a work computer, rather than depreciate the value over a number of years. It’s basically -10% for gst that is claimed back, then -28.5% for the tax deductible amount assuming your business is making a profit and paying tax. The cost to business is around 60% of the retail price.

In Australia the cost of leasing is also tax deductible.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
Any wise business person should lease such a machine and swap it for a newer one if the need arises.
Any wise business person will work the numbers and see which approach is financially optimum. Leasing of any capital equipment is often performed by third party leasing companies who purchase the gear from the vendor and lease it out. I believe IBM rented out the mainframes decades ago, not aware of what they are offering now.
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict
The video below has some info about how the T2 chip impacts the stability of all macs that have one... Although the video’s based around the MBP, the iMac Pro and mini share many of the same issues that trace back to translation issues between macOS and bridgeOS. Something I'd suggest researching before assuming the new Mac Pro isn't going to come with growing pains...

There’s also some food for thought about Apple's QC in the past few years, (which personally I've found to be spot on to this video...) And food for thought about of whether Apple's customer service as of late actually lives up to Apple's previous reputation that its some of the best available.

Food for thought, nothing more intended... T2 relevant issues start at 5:40.
8:30 shows that the kernel panic issue happens on all MacBook models, and the mini.
(The iMac Pro has also been reported to have the same bridgeos crashes.)

Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

The T2 sounds quite a bit like the TPM chip in pcs. TPM contains an rsa public/private key, among other things, and enables windows secure boot which can be set to prevent loading of non-windows signed modules. This helps prevent root kits and so on. For windows this is optional, but I can imagine the same mechanism used to control all that gets installed on a mac.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Google is your friend. Depends what country you are in.

Here in Australia it’s possible to fully deduct the cost of a work computer, rather than depreciate the value over a number of years. It’s basically -10% for gst that is claimed back, then -28.5% for the tax deductible amount assuming your business is making a profit and paying tax. The cost to business is around 60% of the retail price.

In Australia the cost of leasing is also tax deductible.
Can't you actually depreciate 100% in the first year now for small busniesses?
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yep. That’s what I meant by “fully deduct”.
Used to be that you could claim a percentage each year. Now it’s 100% in the first year ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep. That’s what I meant by “fully deduct”.
Used to be that you could claim a percentage each year. Now it’s 100% in the first year ?
I’m a freelancer haven’t bought any large items recently...mmm new Mac Pro
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Nut
The only software that crashes on my Macs are the DAWs. They all crash.

They do it on all my Macs. Everything else is stable. I know it’s the plugins. It doesn’t help to know it. It’s not only one or two that I could remove.

I would never ever use Windows for anything else, and it hurts to admit, but if music production would be my only goal, I would at least consider trying Windows.

My keyboard was crying when I type the above, and she had all my empathy. Still, that’s how it is.

Either everyone is lying, or Windows must be better for this because there are a lot of people who claim they DAW never crashes.

I have a brand new fresh install MBP 2019 maxed out. Reaper crashes every day. It does the same on my iMac.

When I develop software, or edit video, or do anything else, even if I use Ableton Live without plugins installed, they are always stable. Even playing games on Bootcamp + Windows + external NVidia card is stable.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Nut
Let me show you what to expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUlf...ature=youtu.be

I can reproduce it on multiple computers. I can do similar things on any of my DAWs even though, most of the time, I don’t want this to happen.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

If you know it’s the plugins why don’t you remove the offending plugins? Sounds like a crazy system to keep plugins installed you know are crashing.

I’m running Cubase 9.5 on 10.12 and it’s as stable as I’ve ever had. Like Snow Leopard stable ? I had only one crash when demoing a new Wave plug-in. So I didn’t consider buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
The only software that crashes on my Macs are the DAWs. They all crash.

They do it on all my Macs. Everything else is stable. I know it’s the plugins. It doesn’t help to know it. It’s not only one or two that I could remove.

I would never ever use Windows for anything else, and it hurts to admit, but if music production would be my only goal, I would at least consider trying Windows.

My keyboard was crying when I type the above, and she had all my empathy. Still, that’s how it is.

Either everyone is lying, or Windows must be better for this because there are a lot of people who claim they DAW never crashes.

I have a brand new fresh install MBP 2019 maxed out. Reaper crashes every day. It does the same on my iMac.

When I develop software, or edit video, or do anything else, even if I use Ableton Live without plugins installed, they are always stable. Even playing games on Bootcamp + Windows + external NVidia card is stable.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
If you know it’s the plugins why don’t you remove the offending plugins? Sounds like a crazy system to keep plugins installed you know are crashing.

I’m running Cubase 9.5 on 10.12 and it’s as stable as I’ve ever had. Like Snow Leopard stable ? I had only one crash when demoing a new Wave plug-in. So I didn’t consider buying it.
Mostly because I could remove about half of my plugins.

Sure, there are plugins I know they are stable. I’m a bit afraid that if I process silence with reverb in Pro-R, it will remain silent. And then I can EQ it into silence.

Plugins that tend to crash:

Some of Valhalla
Some of PA
Falcon (depending on the version)
Others that are hard to tell

Plugins that always crash:
Kirnu Cream in Studio One made a project unloadable
That one, I removed.

Ozone or Neutron on sample rate change (reported and known to Izotope)

But Thesys wasn’t accurate to be a replacement. I had to buy another sequencer plugin.

It’s easy to blame the user. It’s also possible to write stable software.

Reaper is supposed to be protected from plugin crash. It doesn’t seem to help on Mac. That only DAW ever reported me a plugin crash instead of crashing together was Logic. The plugin that crashed was Kontakt. I can remove it, sure.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Correct, buy early in the financial year, not late
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ehh i don't like the quality control lately with apple. I think it's best to wait a few months after these are released before possibly buying one just to be on the safe side!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyGold View Post
Ehh i don't like the quality control lately with apple. I think it's best to wait a few months after these are released before possibly buying one just to be on the safe side!
At least... When it comes to audio, the T2 basically has a 0% success record regardless of model/machine... Growing pains are inevitable... (If not unavoidable.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
At least... When it comes to audio, the T2 basically has a 0% success record regardless of model/machine
I thought t2 problems were limited to usb interfaces and have since been resolved.
Am I wrong or is your statement exaggerated?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It must be an exaggeration, surely?

"0% success record regardless of model/machine..."

Still, as Zed suggested, whatever issues there've been should have been sorted-out by the time the new Cheese Grater drops, you'd think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As the owner of a machine with a T2 chip I can safely say you’re full of $h!t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
At least... When it comes to audio, the T2 basically has a 0% success record regardless of model/machine... Growing pains are inevitable... (If not unavoidable.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

https://youtu.be/610kM2elp40

For you Hackintosh experts; any comments?!?!!?

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPani View Post
Correct, buy early in the financial year, not late
It makes no difference to the IRS as long as the purchase was within the year that the deduction was taken. There is, however, a annual number limit to these total deductions.

Purchasing earlier in the year has relevance for items such as computers, vehicles and the like if one were to close their business or retire that year. Even then there are limits to what you can get away with. Say you had been previously buying $2500 Macs and then you purchase a $7000 Mac Pro that Spring. This could bring up a red flag and a possible audit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I thought t2 problems were limited to usb interfaces and have since been resolved.
Am I wrong or is your statement exaggerated?
So tell what exactly I gain by exaggerating my statement?

My only motivation for staying active in this thread is to encourage people to wait and see before shelling out at 6k and up on a machine where the chip design, so far, has been shown to cause issues in every model it's been added to.
How I benefit from encouraging people to hang onto their wallet before assuming it's all roses is beyond me...

Again, see the video I posted in this thread, post 1803
The section around 8:30 shows these issues occur on many models.
Despite the article below being from last July, there are still people currently reporting the same behavior on the iMac pro in various MR threads.

https://www.cultofmac.com/565355/app...o-macbook-pro/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I implied no such thing, so there's no need for me to tell you what you would gain. Not that I'd have any interest in entertaining the question.
No need to get defensive on my account either, I'm merely suggesting that the t2 problems seemed to have been limited to usb interfaces.
Caution is always a good thing. Carry on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I implied no such thing, so there's no need for me to tell you what you would gain. Not that I'd have any interest in entertaining the question.
No need to get defensive on my account either, I'm merely suggesting that the t2 problems seemed to have been limited to usb interfaces.
Caution is always a good thing. Carry on.
To be fair you statement was worded in a way that I didn't read as neutral. My impression of 'Am I wrong or...' is to be dismissive of a comment. Not saying you meant it that way, just saying the line between sarcasm and being literal is easily a blurred on a forum...

As the video linked points out, although bridgeOS crashes are more common with thunderbolt devices attached, they also happen randomly with nothing attached, and aren't isolated to audio incidents.

Since the OS the T2 chip runs crashes it's a pretty reasonable assumption that these crashes are tangled up with USB/audio issues since the T2 handles some aspect of all of these processes...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Wow! T2 crashes? This Mac thingy keeps getting better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Putting it out for perspective - loving my Mac Mini with T2, using Apollo interface thunderbolt into Pro Tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg View Post
https://youtu.be/610kM2elp40

For you Hackintosh experts; any comments?!?!!?

I’ve ran my hackintosh for the last 3 years, no real issues, I’ve also looked into a hackintosh specced to the new macpro. The motherboard and cpu that LTT uses in this video costs around $5000. Personally if you’re getting in that realm of money you should just by the real MacPro. I’d do this for fun if I had unlimited funds but I don’t
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mac Mini with T2 running OS 10.14.5, Cubase 9.5 and an MH2882 interface with zero crashes.

I’ve had 1 crash in 6 months and that was when demoing a Waves plug-in.

Most stable OS and computer since good old Snow Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Putting it out for perspective - loving my Mac Mini with T2, using Apollo interface thunderbolt into Pro Tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I’ve ran my hackintosh for the last 3 years, no real issues, I’ve also looked into a hackintosh specced to the new macpro. The motherboard and cpu that LTT uses in this video costs around $5000. Personally if you’re getting in that realm of money you should just by the real MacPro. I’d do this for fun if I had unlimited funds but I don’t
Yeah there is no way I'd suggest throwing that kind of money at a hackintosh unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

For some perspective I've been banging my head up against the wall for the last few weeks trying to resolve the horrendous coil whine in my new build (which is not hardware related, it's whisper quiet while in Windows). Starting up Logic makes it sounds like there's a squealing pig in the room. I've ordered a dedicated graphics card in the hope it's all related to solely using the iGPU. I've tried well north of 100 different configurations and while I've learnt a lot throughout the process holy hell has it been tedious.

It's also become apparent that most people running a 9900k build are doing so with a driver who's author has said it has a high likelihood of eventually bricking your motherboard or damaging components:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/...nd_i_am_sorry/

I'm currently researching ways around using this driver and I'm having to learn about the way memory allocation works for the kernel.

I don't mean for this to derail the thread into a hackintosh discussion but merely to give some perspective to those considering their options. I've spent way more time on this build than I was initially intending, and I consider myself to be fairly technically literate. If the new graphics card doesn't fix my issues I'll be getting close to tearing it down, returning what I can and selling the rest. Windows runs like a dream on it though, if that's your thing
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
Yeah there is no way I'd suggest throwing that kind of money at a hackintosh unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

For some perspective I've been banging my head up against the wall for the last few weeks trying to resolve the horrendous coil whine in my new build (which is not hardware related, it's whisper quiet while in Windows). Starting up Logic makes it sounds like there's a squealing pig in the room. I've ordered a dedicated graphics card in the hope it's all related to solely using the iGPU. I've tried well north of 100 different configurations and while I've learnt a lot throughout the process holy hell has it been tedious.

It's also become apparent that most people running a 9900k build are doing so with a driver who's author has said it has a high likelihood of eventually bricking your motherboard or damaging components:

I'm currently researching ways around using this driver and I'm having to learn about the way memory allocation works for the kernel.

I don't mean for this to derail the thread into a hackintosh discussion but merely to give some perspective to those considering their options. I've spent way more time on this build than I was initially intending, and I consider myself to be fairly technically literate. If the new graphics card doesn't fix my issues I'll be getting close to tearing it down, returning what I can and selling the rest. Windows runs like a dream on it though, if that's your thing
Enable BIOS function "Above 4G Decoding" to avoid memory relocation errors when using AptioMemoryFix.efi

Dont use the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 it's really old way
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Enable BIOS function "Above 4G Decoding" to avoid memory relocation errors when using AptioMemoryFix.efi

Dont use the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 it's really old way
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I had no luck initially but tried again with slide=0 and it seems to be working great.

My broader point was that this driver is present in many of the most prominent "golden builds" and guides out there, which is concerning for those blindly following along (like myself).

But thanks again, I realise this isn't the forum to troubleshoot my build so might shoot you a PM to find out more about yours if that's cool?

My fight against the coil whine continues...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post

Agree but Interesting as a thought experiment though.

Some of the "gold build" Hakintosh builds stable and working out in the wilde are already more then most people need for audio production.

I'm fascinated and interested in the direction future builds will take challenging the most powerful Mac Pro's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search