The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
At last: new Mac Pro!
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post

Seriously ? !
You're funny dude. How you can read the forums on this website (or KVR, or any other number of forums/websites) and ask him if hes serious then do a facepalm is almost beyond hilarious. He's 100% correct because there is virtually no consequence of doubling down on being an asshat on the Internet. The crap people say and argue about in these forums would never fly in real life around a table.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Man, this thread is a 2011 flashback. Even the arguments are the same.
My personal favourite is the Macrumors thread in 2001 after Steve Jobs unveiled the iPod:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...hing-ipod.500/

Some choice cuts from just the front page:

“iPoop... iCry. I was so hoping for something more.”

“Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where's the Newton?!”

“hey - heres an idea Apple - rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up?
or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?”

“I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!”

“gee! an mp3 player with a HD! how original! kinda reminds me of a JUKEBOX i once knew..”

“$400 for an Mp3 Player!
I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.
Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?”

It goes on an on, I’m guessing Apple is glad those people weren’t in their focus groups :D
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I keep seeing references to that but can you point me to something that talks about this MPX raid storage? The official released information i saw only talks about the MPX expansion w/rt some multi graphics card setup.
AppleInsider has done a fairly comprehensive rundown of what we know so far about the storage options:

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...he-new-mac-pro
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

I'm very surprised by how many people can't live without PCIe slots on an audio machine. Are there really that many HDX users out there?? I would have thought that is a very, very small percentage of the pro music industry?
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I keep seeing references to that but can you point me to something that talks about this MPX raid storage? The official released information i saw only talks about the MPX expansion w/rt some multi graphics card setup.
http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp...ard-drive-raid
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Oh man. Thats basically the forerunner to the iPhone thread. And the follow up iPad thread. Sheesh those were good.

Funny how long Apple has been putting out crappy **** no-one wants for 20 years yet somehow keep going up in value as a company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
My personal favourite is the Macrumors thread in 2001 after Steve Jobs unveiled the iPod:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...hing-ipod.500/

Some choice cuts from just the front page:

“iPoop... iCry. I was so hoping for something more.”

“Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where's the Newton?!”

“hey - heres an idea Apple - rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up?
or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?”

“I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!”

“gee! an mp3 player with a HD! how original! kinda reminds me of a JUKEBOX i once knew..”

“$400 for an Mp3 Player!
I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.
Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?”

It goes on an on, I’m guessing Apple is glad those people weren’t in their focus groups :D
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
I'm very surprised by how many people can't live without PCIe slots on an audio machine.
Just to add one more use case … How about up to 6 UAD-2 Octo DSP PCIe cards?
Even though I'm not on the Universal Audio plugins train myself, I guess it's safe to say that this raises the percentage quite a bit. And it's a cleaner setup if you don't need 6 external boxes (and corresponding cables) to do the same with external gear.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg View Post
Bentley price point with a used Lexus inside.

It's obvious that Apple is struggling; to fill Steve Jobs shoes; not that I was a big fan of his paranoid propetary approach to business in the first place.
It is? Apple is one of the richest companies in the world and continues to post wonderful profits every quarter. Know who you can thank for it all? The guy in charge right now. Because even when Jobs was CEO Tim Cook was the guy making sure they made as much money as possible.

Quote:
With the amount of cash that Apple got disposable laying there just collecting dust that they are sinking in and burning on that spaceship headquarters they got; I and others expect better.
Really? Maybe you should go to the shareholders meeting and demand better. You are a shareholder right? Apple doesn't owe anything to anyone except the shareholders, that's how a corporation works. I suspect the shareholders are pretty satisfied with how things are working at the moment.

Quote:
Apple is a company with shareholders; like the activist shareholders that want to change the elitist non-inclusive direction in which they are heading; which also happens to be symmetrically opposite of what the current leadership is steering towards right now.

I'll be damned if I cannot express my opinion on this product when I've spent so much money on their so-called "ecosystem".

With the human resources available to them; the R&D budgets and the cash they got collecting dust at their disposal they could actually innovate if they actually listen to their consumer base a little closer.

I; and many others; EXPECT Apple to do much better on all fronts.

Apple continues to innovate all the time. Unfortunately its not on "magic", market-defining products (tho arguably their mobile silicon *is* market-defining but that isn't sexy. Apple Watch is pretty market-defining at this point too), or the products you want to buy apparently. They've already done that 4 times now. Do you really expect them to be able to continue to do that? That's ridiculous.

And their consumer base isn't the people you seem to keep implying it is. Their consumer base is people who can afford their products. Thats how its always worked. I really don't get how this is so hard to understand. One only need to look at their history which has been consistent up to this day. It's like complaining that McLaren isn't selling a cheap sedan so that everyone can have a McLaren.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They really can't win , and personally, I couldn't care less, the more dissension amongst the OSX diehards the better from my perspective :-)
So basically, turn up to every Apple thread. Sprout **** and disrupt as much as possible.
Your posts are pretty transparent.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Martin View Post
Just to add one more use case … How about up to 6 UAD-2 Octo DSP PCIe cards?
Even though I'm not on the Universal Audio plugins train myself, I guess it's safe to say that this raises the percentage quite a bit. And it's a cleaner setup if you don't need 6 external boxes (and corresponding cables) to do the same with external gear.
I have no idea on exact numbers but surely most users (outside this site) just have an interface with maybe one satellite? no idea but that's what I see from the music side of things
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
So basically, turn up to every Apple thread. Sprout **** and disrupt as much as possible.
It's called dropping a turd into the punch bowl
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Now you are mixing a valid point (tool) with a judgement on the price.
No, you are a manufacturer and your point of view is not the same as an end user's. You're talking your book. For the user, the price is an important aspect of a tool, and if another tool will do the same job for a lesser price, it's a better deal, full stop. As a manufacturer it would be nice to be able to separate those things, but it's your mistake if you do, because users (potential customers) won't.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
But then over at videosluts everyone would be complaining they still weren’t pro enough!
So you came to the wrong forum by mistake. Let's talk about how suitable this is for audio folks, on this audio folks forum yes?
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
... most users ...
Oh, ok. So we're discussing what "most users" do and need all of a sudden?
If so, then please do me a favour and check how many "most users" are potentially in the market for a Mac Pro of the likes we have been shown by Apple.
It was you who asked about the need/benefit of PCIe slots, I gave you an example. Other examples outside of the Avid HDX world would be RME HDSPe Madi FX, Focusrite RedNet, Fairlight Audio Accelerator, ...
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

PCI card users are a niche market inside a niche market. And a shrinking one at that.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
So you came to the wrong forum by mistake. Let's talk about how suitable this is for audio folks, on this audio folks forum yes?
I have been.
It’s too Pro for many. Extremely suitable for some. Targeting an industry that needs a great deal more than audio guys do.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
PCI card users are a niche market inside a niche market.
Pro Audio and Pro Video and Pro CGI have always been a niche market inside a niche market, nothing new. For mass market, check Android, XBox or Playstation forums.
PCIe 16x slots remain the fastest interface to the CPU for the time being ... if you don't need, fine. Do others not need just because you don't need? No.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
You're funny dude. How you can read the forums on this website (or KVR, or any other number of forums/websites) and ask him if hes serious then do a facepalm is almost beyond hilarious. He's 100% correct because there is virtually no consequence of doubling down on being an asshat on the Internet. The crap people say and argue about in these forums would never fly in real life around a table.
2016 -->
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
It is? Apple is one of the richest companies in the world and continues to post wonderful profits every quarter. Know who you can thank for it all? The guy in charge right now. Because even when Jobs was CEO Tim Cook was the guy making sure they made as much money as possible.

Apple continues to innovate all the time. Unfortunately its not on "magic", market-defining products (tho arguably their mobile silicon *is* market-defining but that isn't sexy. Apple Watch is pretty market-defining at this point too), or the products you want to buy apparently. They've already done that 4 times now. Do you really expect them to be able to continue to do that? That's ridiculous.

And their consumer base isn't the people you seem to keep implying it is. Their consumer base is people who can afford their products. Thats how its always worked. I really don't get how this is so hard to understand. One only need to look at their history which has been consistent up to this day. It's like complaining that McLaren isn't selling a cheap sedan so that everyone can have a McLaren.

Pretty turbulent chart there a high of 242 to a low of 142 within a year span.

That's a roller coaster ride for sure.

I own a trashcan and it served me well and it's not like computers are something that usually go up in price.

Complacency in business is never a good thing.

That lawsuits they're facing right now can't be good for shareholder value.

I'll pick this cheese grater up for pennies on the dollar in a few years once the Chinese meet their tech targets (maybe I can hand down the Mac Pro to my youngest daughter she should be 15 by then; maybe she can watch YouTube with it if they're still in business by then).

It's just a matter of time before the Chinese start competing within this market segment.

Well if you think this is the equivalent of a McLaren of Technology and you can budget in this computer while maintaining your fat belly with whatever food you consume while simultaneously drinking your cappuccino like the Apple executives in the key note speech seem to do based on their waist measurements knock yourself out buddy; we'll never see eye-to-eye so arguing with you will be a total waste of my time.

https://youtu.be/UkaJrzd6-hw

Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
While Vin has a pretty strong tone regularly, the last thing he is interested in is endless discussions or spreading garbage on the internet. Miscommunication as in this thread don't help anyone , of course. Anthony's first comment was pretty confusing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
No, you are a manufacturer and your point of view is not the same as an end user's. You're talking your book. For the user, the price is an important aspect of a tool, and if another tool will do the same job for a lesser price, it's a better deal, full stop. As a manufacturer it would be nice to be able to separate those things, but it's your mistake if you do, because users (potential customers) won't.
Of course the price is important, but in the case of a certain model, no matter what it is, either you can afford it or you can't. Either you think it is good value or you don't. Comparing it to the pricing of individual parts is not an argument you can use anywhere. Do you do that when buying a car, a coffee machine or headphones? Or, for self builds, a Neve channel strip or a Manley compressor?

Again, I am not saying you cannot argue about the price, I say that it makes no sense to compare self build prices with off the shelf professional workstations.

Self builds will ALWAYS be cheaper if you know how to do it and if you don't mind the time doing it. There is no discussion about that either.

BTW: don't give me that manufacturer POV thing, I deal with professionals for 20 years and my opinion is based on how they think, inevitably. Aside from the fact that I have bought my own workstations (Apple & XI) and a gaming PC for my son even though I had built approx. 30 professional systems previously (way before DAW PLUS or XI). I only started doing this for a living 10 years ago.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I seriously don't get the resistance
You are an esteemed member of this forum, and your benchmark work over the years speaks for itself.

But when it comes to Mac threads, you just can’t help yourself, mate.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Well if you think this is the equivalent of a McLaren of Technology and you can budget in this computer while maintaining your fat belly with whatever food you consume while simultaneously drinking your cappuccino like the Apple executives in the key note speech seem to do based on their waist measurements ....
"It never got weird enough for me..."

Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm very surprised by how many people can't live without PCIe slots on an audio machine. Are there really that many HDX users out there?? I would have thought that is a very, very small percentage of the pro music industry?
Can't speak for 'the industry' which seems to change depending on who's arguing for what, especially in this thread, but you'll be prying my RayDAT out of my cold dead hands <3 Nothing has come close in terms of stability and latency.

Don't forget UAD users, one of the studios I engineer at, uses them PCIe cards for UAD plug ins.

Hard to think of other audio-only uses that don't cross over into general computing experience, but I also like having 3 monitors, and that requires a graphics card in my tower.

While the MacPro isn't for me, I am glad they are sticking with PCIe because that will benefit all of us who like desktop machines of any flavour.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Nobody's mentioned audio-interface cards such as MOTU's PCI AudioWire system for integrating and connecting its pre-AVB range of interfaces, the new Slate-interface card and so on.

That's about as "audio" as you can get for PCI apart from DSP-accelerator / host cards such as TC's PowerCore and UAD stuff etc.
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
Hey that reminds me, NO SERIAL PORTS ON THE Mac Pro??? How am I supposed to use the Newton I still have???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Nobody's mentioned audio-interface cards such as MOTU's PCI AudioWire system for integrating and connecting its pre-AVB range of interfaces, the new Slate-interface card and so on.

That's about as "audio" as you can get for PCI apart from DSP-accelerator / host cards such as TC's PowerCore and UAD stuff etc.
Im curious to see what they do with those myself.. Every time I fire up my 828MK2 I get that reminder that the Cuemix software isn't going to run past Mojave cause its 32 bit. Im getting this weird feeling that they will try to finally drop the old FW/424/324 devices. I think the PCI ones stand a better chance of holding on though since the slots came back.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Im curious to see what they do with those myself.. Every time I fire up my 828MK2 I get that reminder that the Cuemix software isn't going to run past Mojave cause its 32 bit. Im getting this weird feeling that they will try to finally drop the old FW/424/324 devices. I think the PCI ones stand a better chance of holding on though since the slots came back.
MOTU discontinued the PCIe-424 years ago. I doubt it will come back now.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Part of the reason PCI isn't as widespread in the audio industry today as it was is entirely because Apple dropped PCI support and told everyone it was dead and to move to TB. We've then had a number of years of manufacturers then supplying this new 'industry' with TB devices. I'm glad PCI is back too, it never went away, the road map was giving PCI 4 specs and dates when Apple decided it was dead 6 years ago.

Also the analogy of high end cars to low end cars is poor as the true analogy would be a high and car and the same car with a different badge for half the price. Under the hood it's all the same hardware now.

M
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

I think you give Apple too much credit here. Main reason why PCIe is such a niche thing is that laptops outsell desktops by more than 2:1.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...d-desktop-pcs/
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

PCI-E your referring too...

PCI is pretty dead.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
PCI-E your referring too...

PCI is pretty dead.
True...

That said, I'm still using my Lynx TWO-B in a modern Ryzen system :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search