The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Addict

Yea for sure - definitely ties in with what I'm reading lots. Just super annoying as it is literally sold as being for audio production, for video production etc - at £3k you'd think they'd be able to back up that claim. Well, John Lewis are now fighting me as far as a refund goes, so I'm even less impressed than I was - genuinely the worst experience of my 13 years with DAWs! And yes, the Asus tech support, from their replies, don't have a clue what DPC Latency is.
Old 20th December 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZippy View Post
And yes, the Asus tech support, from their replies, don't have a clue what DPC Latency is.
Wow... I am so sorry to hear.

As much as I like to bash Apple at times - and I do - I suppose we're still much better off in Mac Land after all.
Old 21st December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yea for sure - definitely ties in with what I'm reading lots. Just super annoying as it is literally sold as being for audio production, for video production etc - at £3k you'd think they'd be able to back up that claim. Well, John Lewis are now fighting me as far as a refund goes, so I'm even less impressed than I was - genuinely the worst experience of my 13 years with DAWs! And yes, the Asus tech support, from their replies, don't have a clue what DPC Latency is.
Unfortunately I’ve had a very similar journey with my zenbook pro duo. After deciding to send it back for battery reasons, then changing my mind - it’s now been returned because of DPC latency problems like yours. With my focusrite it was barely usable and with my iconnect interface it worked but the cpu hit on Ableton was twice what I was seeing with my 2014 macbook pro no matter what I did - which was ridiculous given the Hugely more powerful everything in the zenbook.

It’s such a shame because otherwise it was an amazing computer - the dual screens worked brilliantly.
Old 21st December 2019
That's pretty bizarre news.

Somehow I doubt that’s typical for this class of windows laptop though.
I know Mac users (I’m one of them) like to repeat that everything just works on Mac, but it hasn’t for a long time, nor has it not on windows.
I’ve no recent experience on getting daws to run on windows machines, but this kinda sounds like bad luck that pervasive could be solved with a firmware update. No?
Old 21st December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
That's pretty bizarre news.

I know Mac users (I’m one of them) like to repeat that everything just works on Mac, but it hasn’t for a long time, nor has it not on windows.
I’ve no recent experience on getting daws to run on windows machines, but this kinda sounds like bad luck that pervasive could be solved with a firmware update. No?
Maybe it could, but I had to make up my mind whether to keep it or not within the 30 day return window - and ultimately wasn't prepared to risk waiting for some firmware update that might never materialise.

Latencymon ran well for about 20 seconds, and then after that it always went downhill - reporting lots of problems within a couple of minutes. It suggested the issue might be with the wifi adapter/driver, but disabling it seemed to make no difference - and anyway, I didn't want to be forced to disconnect from the web whenever I making music. It was also meant to be my work computer.

I'm going to stick with my Macbook Pro 15 2014 for a few more months, which is still running well anyway. Hopefully another better dual screen option will come out next year, and I'll try again. Fingers crossed it will be a little more portable too.
Old 21st December 2019
of course.

it's a real bummer though. I feel for youse!
Old 21st December 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
I know Mac users (I’m one of them) like to repeat that everything just works on Mac, but it hasn’t for a long time...
I think it depends of what kind of Mac you're getting. I have a 2012 Mini, a 2018 Mini and a 2014 MBA. Each one of them was plug-and-play, no audio issues whatsoever. However, it seems quite a few recent MacBook Pros had, or continue to have, audio problems.

Perhaps Apple is trying to cram too much stuff into those tiny laptop enclosures...
Old 21st December 2019
Gear Addict

Yes it sounds like similar problems with these Duos for Audio across the board - good to have this in one place for now, hopefully anyone thinking about one will see this in time - however, whilst I still have mine I'll keep updating here if Asus do manage to magic something.

Aw, i'd heard about the newer mac problems a little, at least they have a 14 day no questions refund policy though - silver lining!!
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject View Post
A Mac laptop will work 99.9999% of the time.
More likely the case with a MacBook 2-10 years old....the T2chip in newer ones brought the return of crackles and pops to Mac audio recording:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVNkglXc84

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UWcTbRYrXM
Old 23rd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
More likely the case with a MacBook 2-10 years old....the T2chip in newer ones brought the return of crackles and pops to Mac audio recording:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVNkglXc84

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UWcTbRYrXM
Old news - the T2-related audio issues have been fixed.
Old 3rd January 2020
Gear Addict

Update: Well, the Zenbook Pro Duo has now gone back - a refund was agreed finally and I took it back to the store yesterday.

Honestly, I'm totally gutted it didn't work out as the twin touchscreen functionality had immense promise for how I work, the laptop was potent, had decent cooling space for the GPU & i9 CPU, but sadly it seems the chipset currently is poor for real time audio. I look forward to what they come up with in the future, but for now I simply need a portable solution that works out of the box and fluidly with my UA X4 & X8P. Once the refund appears on the card, no prizes for guessing what I'll be ordering!

Good luck all if you give one of these Duos a go
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update: Well, the Zenbook Pro Duo has now gone back - a refund was agreed finally and I took it back to the store yesterday.

Honestly, I'm totally gutted it didn't work out as the twin touchscreen functionality had immense promise for how I work, the laptop was potent, had decent cooling space for the GPU & i9 CPU, but sadly it seems the chipset currently is poor for real time audio. I look forward to what they come up with in the future, but for now I simply need a portable solution that works out of the box and fluidly with my UA X4 & X8P. Once the refund appears on the card, no prizes for guessing what I'll be ordering!

Good luck all if you give one of these Duos a go
what a shame it didnt work.

have you an eye on the asus mothership?

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Mothership-GZ700/
Old 3rd January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
what a shame it didnt work.

have you an eye on the asus mothership?

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Mothership-GZ700/
Oh, I genuinely am really gutted that it didn't work :/

Wow, that Mothership looks insane! It's not for me, but my other half (she's an Asus ROG-loyal gamer) would love it. No, that's the end of windows based systems and audio for me - the potential of the Zenbook Duo was the thing that kept me from buying a new Macbook Pro 16, but alas - I'm back there. That means once my desktop is retired soon if I do go for another desktop in the future, it'll be mac based too to keep the system all together.

Eep!
Old 19th March 2020
Gear Addict
Robin Vincent at Sound on Sound has reviewed the zenbook pro duo:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ro-duo-ux581gv

It's behind a pay wall, and since I've already bought and sold a Zenbook Pro Duo, I'm not interested enough to purchase the article. However, the bit you can read makes it clear that latencymon showed problems for him as well.

If anyone happens to read the review, I'd be grateful if you could let me know whether he managed to overcome this issue. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2020
Second chance for an implementation of this concept, maybe?

Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Unfortunately DPC latency is a massive problem in modern laptops, I couldn't believe it myself after recording no problem for years on an average asus laptop with a U series processor. I then bought a top of the range Dell XPS and had problems which were unsolvable. The DCP spikes were caused by a driver that manages the CPU and battery so impossible to disable.

It's kind of a lottery with laptops these days, sometimes turning off the wifi or graphics card can solve it, but there are no guarantees. At least places like notebookcheck are starting to test with latencymon in their reviews which is very handy. Hopefully this will encourage manufacturers to act. Microsoft could be more proactive too as it's really up to Windows to regulate background processes effectively. This is the first time I've ever contemplated moving to apple!
Old 10th August 2020
Snap.... just when I ditched Apple and am building a PC!
Wish me luck!
📝 Reply