The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Huge latency issues on the latest 1903 Windows release - SOLVED
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Ok, you answered my next question already.... disabled patches.. done....

It would be nice to see a very in-depth list of every single change Microsoft
did from the initial Windows 10 roll out until now. Not just the features and bells and whistles; the hardcore under the hood stuff.
It would be helpful to search a data base of new versions of DLL's, support files, core drivers, Kernal modifications
and bug fixes. I'm guessing only Microsoft would have this and they probably wouldn't post it anywhere for security reasons...
But I could see (mostly developers) benefiting from this. Or more advanced user's just wanting to do a little self help and digging
to find an answer for the weird anomalies that some of us are experiencing.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm constantly on 128 spls buffer and I had no problems streaming 1000 voices from Kontakt before 1903.
I have no numbers , nothing scientific, nothing measured , but definately less or rather no clicks yet since clicking "go back to previous version" . As I said similar system to yours , 6700k not overclocked yet , z170 -A , 32 GB , onboard video , RME , 1809 . I decided to freeze the system as is for now since I am working on some music . I would have to reimage the 1903 to do more comparisons but I only do this in case of emergency. So I could get a license for my second boot drive or install Linux for everything else I have to do. Unfortunately I cannot get my RME working in Linux . Edit oh and I never did anything about any meltdown patches , maybe I should . I did download shutup 10 though and disabled the update service
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post

Defender updates: not that I'm aware of.

Pete
works , you can get them here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates
cool
Even if I am offline now I get part of my work via USB sticks from customers and I prefer defender to third party scanners
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

I'm still saddenned by lack of response to my glitch trace.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I hope they are working on it...sorry I could not provide one , was not sure , how long I could still go back to the previous version ... The _ SOLVED_ in the headline should be removed
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
snip. It's somewhere deep in Windows <-> ASIO. It doesn't happen with WASAPI/DirectSound, so that should tell something, I think...
you have a newer RME , does yours work with WASABI with 128 samples ? I could not get any playable latency without garbled sound . I have a Firefce UC
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

WASAPI latency is apparently really handled by the OS, you cannot pick 128 samples from a menu anywhere.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Maniac

sorry my fault, never used it before , can you play any instrument live with wasapi?
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

In a pinch you could, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

For different reasons I had to go back to an earlier image of my 1809 system. Just for fun I took a latencymon test (with defender and network adapter disabled):
Attached Thumbnails
Huge latency issues on the latest 1903 Windows release - SOLVED-screenshot-46-.jpg  
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Addict

So basically MS screwed up the 1903 update and still hasnt fixed it?
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yep.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Lindberg View Post
So basically MS screwed up the 1903 update and still hasnt fixed it?
no, the ntoskrnl.exe spikes is fixed and that is what this thread is about. The problem EvilDragon have seems to be more of an individual latency issue.
I have suggested trying a repair of Windows while keeping all the apps. But he would not try that cause it took too much time. It takes maximum 30 min to do this, and that repair would pretty much confirm if it's a general Windows 1903 issue. Also it seems like he only have this issue with only one library, because he can not recreate it with a library I have (and I have a lot).
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

I get that in multiple libraries in fact, I can get it with Spitfire Chamber Strings as well...
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Head

Hmmm this thread needs more input... @ Psychlist1972 , are you still listening?

By the way, what's up with that?
https://old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...515384_breaks/
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

just tested my system because ive been getting mad latency playing my keyboard in Cubase ..done a test in latencymon heres my results..can anyone give me any advice ?thanks

--
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 4:24:45 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17763 (x64)
Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X99-A/USB 3.1
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Logical processors: 12
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 32668 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3298 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 10 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO DPC LATENCIES
The interrupt to DPC latency reflects the measured interval in which a DPC could execute in response to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution.

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4016.10
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 6.238051

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 54.150394
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.012383
Driver with highest ISR total time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.012469

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 14167268
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1250.677987
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.424690
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.506871

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 77108775
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 5454
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 2
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count: none

Total number of hard pagefaults 0
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 0
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 0.0
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.0
Number of processes hit: 0

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1149.675657
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 54.150394
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 23.696399
CPU 0 ISR count: 14151093
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 449.580049
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 868.611346
CPU 0 DPC count: 57837310
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 238.797130
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 38.593390
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.071903
CPU 1 ISR count: 16064
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1250.677987
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 31.064993
CPU 1 DPC count: 5424515
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 171.889023
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 17.682535
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000603
CPU 2 ISR count: 111
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 748.100667
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 11.577417
CPU 2 DPC count: 2700944
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 165.250594
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 709.002426
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 1.251450
CPU 3 DPC count: 217310
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 206.827389
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 709.892056
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 18.541998
CPU 4 DPC count: 3991784
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 160.203364
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 708.818678
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 1.862610
CPU 5 DPC count: 296640
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 176.706968
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 709.823833
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 9.998467
CPU 6 DPC count: 2012890
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 159.498077
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 708.249242
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 1.144211
CPU 7 DPC count: 166861
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s): 173.316245
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 8 ISR count: 0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs): 709.025167
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s): 9.281812
CPU 8 DPC count: 2100931
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s): 166.121311
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 9 ISR count: 0
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs): 530.229533
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s): 1.086615
CPU 9 DPC count: 172103
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s): 175.070466
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 10 ISR count: 0
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1059.888720
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s): 10.530145
CPU 10 DPC count: 2020618
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s): 165.438767
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 11 ISR count: 0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs): 708.256519
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s): 1.247480
CPU 11 DPC count: 172325
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
just tested my system because ive been getting mad latency playing my keyboard in Cubase ..done a test in latencymon heres my results..can anyone give me any advice ?thanks

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4016.10
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 6.238051

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1250.677987
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
What kind of graphic card do you have? First you should try is to update you graphic card driver. Also can you post a screenshot of this, let latencymon run for 10 min then take the screenshot:
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
What kind of graphic card do you have? First you should try is to update you graphic card driver. Also can you post a screenshot of this, let latencymon run for 10 min then take the screenshot:
I have a amd radeon ive checked and it says theres another driver available but wont install it because its saying im upto date but the driver installed is lower than the update..

ill run the latencymon again and post the driver info..thanks
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
I'm still saddenned by lack of response to my glitch trace.
Sorry, the glitch traces get looked at in a pool to identify larger issues. I didn't mean to imply they were for individual support. It's all for the Greater Good.

That said, the team is still looking into it. Initial look appeared to be something with the network driver. But, as you can imagine, we have to contact another company to get input on that.

Also, I've been slammed with event work here lately, so not super responsive on the forums here. It's going to be that way for much of the fall.

Pete
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Michaelz View Post
Hmmm this thread needs more input... @ Psychlist1972 , are you still listening?

By the way, what's up with that?
https://old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...515384_breaks/
Slammed with events, so not much time on the forums here at the moment.

That audio issue, and its mitigation, is for games only. If you run your DAW in game mode (you see the game bar when running it), don't.

Pete
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

hi heres a scan
Attached Thumbnails
Huge latency issues on the latest 1903 Windows release - SOLVED-capture.jpg  
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a amd radeon ive checked and it says theres another driver available but wont install it because its saying im upto date but the driver installed is lower than the update..

Try this to uninstall the driver:
1) Go to Control Panel.
2) Click on Programs And Features.
3) Select AMD Catalyst Install Manager.
4) Click on Change.
5) When prompted by the AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard, select Express Uninstall ALL ATI Software.
6) Click, OK to allow the AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard to remove ALL AMD driver and application components.
7) Click, Yes when prompted to restart the system and complete the uninstall process.
Old 17th September 2019
FWIW, folks, there seem to be a mix of things going on here.
  • The ntoskrnl spike that this thread was about: this has been fixed. The title is correct in that respect.
  • Clearly, something happened with @ EvilDragon 's PC with 1903. I'm not sure if it's 1903 itself, a driver update, or something else. Others may have the same issue, but we don't have a lot of glitch trace data to go by right now to identify any clear trends.
  • Other various latency issues which are normal in any setup. This vary greatly by motherboard manufacturer, video card, which port your SSD is in, "tweaks" you've applied, etc. This is par for the course with such an incredibly broad set of hardware. If that's not for you, there are DAW builders here in the forums who are great at building optimized PCs using components that they have tested to work together well in a DAW environment.
  • The recently reported games surround sound issue: does not impact DAW work unless you run your DAW in Game Mode. Reporting about this (including from MSFT) is horrible, so articles tend to be sounding a panic. If you run into something which appears to be related to this, please LMK, but from discussing with others in engineering, I don't anticipate issues for DAWs here.

I just want to make sure folks know what they're looking at in this thread. If you are experiencing glitches in 1903 that you weren't getting in 1809, please do submit a glitch trace and send me the link. Feel free to send multiple ones over time, if you are running slightly different scenarios; the data will help. We can't promise individual support on this, but it will help us sort out any common issues, and make life better for your fellow musicians.

Quote:
How to submit a glitch trace (make sure the glitch is audible and audio is playing when you do the capture)
https://matthewvaneerde.wordpress.co...-feedback-hub/
Note that reports from LatencyMon and similar are great for your own use, but don't help us diagnose the issue.

And a reminder, I'm working on our Ignite and Ignite Tour events, as well as an event in Amsterdam at the end of this month, so I'm not going to be super responsive here. Sorry about that.

Thanks!

Pete
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
Try this to uninstall the driver:
1) Go to Control Panel.
2) Click on Programs And Features.
3) Select AMD Catalyst Install Manager.
4) Click on Change.
5) When prompted by the AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard, select Express Uninstall ALL ATI Software.
6) Click, OK to allow the AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard to remove ALL AMD driver and application components.
7) Click, Yes when prompted to restart the system and complete the uninstall process.
thanks ill give it a try tomorrow..i have to goto bed now :(
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks ill give it a try tomorrow..i have to goto bed now :(
After you have updated your graphic driver..... update your network adapter driver in device manager. See what is the name of the network adapter and google for driver. Also try to disable all network drivers and antivirus then try out your DAW and see if the issue is still there.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The proper way to uninstall, install/tweak AMD GPU driver here.

BTW, set Windows 10 Power Plan to "Ultimate Performance"
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
The proper way to uninstall, install/tweak AMD GPU driver here.

BTW, set Windows 10 Power Plan to "Ultimate Performance"
https://www.tenfonrums.com/tutorials...dows-10-a.html
I bought my custom computer from scan and they have there own scan 3x power system settings I've never touched them. If I do the ultimate performance will it delete the scan setup
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Its probably already set to maximum; just check the CPU min and max are both at 100%.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
Its probably already set to maximum; just check the CPU min and max are both at 100%.
how do I do that?
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
how do I do that?
see attachment:
Attached Thumbnails
Huge latency issues on the latest 1903 Windows release - SOLVED-see.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search