The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Huge latency issues on the latest 1903 Windows release - SOLVED
Old 19th August 2019
  #391
Lives for gear
 
juiseman's Avatar
 

USB WI-FI, & GPU drivers always had a bigger effect than network cards for
me.
Old 26th August 2019
  #393
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Let's see if doing that trick fixes my issue in Kontakt...
Old 26th August 2019
  #394
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Let's see if doing that trick fixes my issue in Kontakt...
Whats your issue with Kontakt? I have had a problem with Ableton crashing when opening projects with Kontakt involved lately. Often when I have Ableton packs and Kontakt in the same project it happens:


I don't know if this a Ableton issue, Kontakt or Windows. And i don't know if this also happens in 1809 version of Windows
Old 26th August 2019
  #395
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Please scroll back a page or two if you can, I explained it already It's not a crash, it's an audio glitch happening in certain repeatable cases but they don't show up as CPU spikes nor DPC spikes. And they most certainly didn't happen in 1809 :/
Old 26th August 2019
  #396
Gear Maniac
This is a helpful thread and I appreciate it.
Old 26th August 2019
  #397
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Let's see if doing that trick fixes my issue in Kontakt...
Unfortunately this didn't sort the issue out for me... Things are still clicking in Kontakt over here. Nobody else can confirm this issue (W10 1903, RME UFX+ with latest RME drivers, whatever version of Kontakt)? :(

@ Psychlist1972 - still crickets on that glitch trace? :(
Old 26th August 2019
  #398
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Please scroll back a page or two if you can, I explained it already It's not a crash, it's an audio glitch happening in certain repeatable cases but they don't show up as CPU spikes nor DPC spikes. And they most certainly didn't happen in 1809 :/
I forgot about it. I have a lot of Kontakt libraries that I could test with the same setting sample rate/buffer size. If we only could find a library we had in common. Look at the attachment and see if you have any of the library I have
Attached Files
File Type: pdf libraries.pdf (14.82 MB, 56 views)
Old 26th August 2019
  #399
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
That's quite a lot of warezed libraries there


Anyways I have a consistent reproduciton of the clicks issue in FL Studio with 3 tracks of Spitfire Chamber Strings at 128 samples buffer size, that didn't happen in 1809 for sure. Happens on another W10 machine (also 6700K based, also RME audio interface and latest drivers) from a friend of mine in another country. Doesn't happen with the same MIDI data in Reaper, though. Still, there's definitely something FUBAR w.r.t audio stack in 1903.
Old 26th August 2019
  #400
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That's quite a lot of warezed libraries there


Anyways I have a consistent reproduciton of the clicks issue in FL Studio with 3 tracks of Spitfire Chamber Strings at 128 samples buffer size, that didn't happen in 1809 for sure. Happens on another W10 machine (also 6700K based, also RME audio interface and latest drivers) from a friend of mine in another country. Doesn't happen with the same MIDI data in Reaper, though. Still, there's definitely something FUBAR w.r.t audio stack in 1903.
Since it only happens in FL Studio isn't it more plausible that it is an Fl Studio/Kontakt issue than a Windows issue? Something in FL Studio that needs to be updated regards to Windows/asio. Don't misunderstand I believe Windows update triggered it but only a FL Studio update or going back to an older version of Windows can fix it. Have you made Fl Studio support aware of the issue?
Old 26th August 2019
  #401
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
No I get the same issue in standalone Kontakt with a different library (that is a work in progress, soon to release). Exact same symptoms. So it's not just a FL issue. It's somewhere deep in Windows <-> ASIO. It doesn't happen with WASAPI/DirectSound, so that should tell something, I think...

EDIT: I get the same issue in Kontakt standalone with Spitfire Chamber Strings and MIDI from the DAW project exported to .mid file and being sent to Kontakt via virtual MIDI port.
Old 27th August 2019
  #402
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That's quite a lot of warezed libraries there


Anyways I have a consistent reproduciton of the clicks issue in FL Studio with 3 tracks of Spitfire Chamber Strings at 128 samples buffer size, that didn't happen in 1809 for sure. Happens on another W10 machine (also 6700K based, also RME audio interface and latest drivers) from a friend of mine in another country. Doesn't happen with the same MIDI data in Reaper, though. Still, there's definitely something FUBAR w.r.t audio stack in 1903.
Old 29th August 2019
  #403
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
@ Psychlist1972 Boop!
Old 29th August 2019
  #404
Gear Maniac
 
sosho's Avatar
My system autoupdated today , went online for 5 min for an update . Did not want to interrupt it .What happens , when you interrupt it ? It was not the right time at all , I was busy working on some music.
dpc latency does not seem to be an issue anymore . But I had to reinstall the Yamaha/Steinberg USB driver . And the steinberg dongle showed some strange errors but that was a very quick and easy fix . Went on working with an RME USB interface at 128 samples buffer , could not spot any glitches so far. But I was not using a sampler plugin . Quite some u-he Diva and repro
Old 30th August 2019
  #405
There is a lot that's wrong in that article, including the fix/workaround advice, and how they think my tweet is about all things, and not the specific kernel issue (my mistake for not making a far more specific tweet)

That said, we're looking into if something else may be going on. We have some reports from folks here and on twitter, but don't have a conclusion just yet.

Pete
Old 30th August 2019
  #406
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Unfortunately this didn't sort the issue out for me... Things are still clicking in Kontakt over here. Nobody else can confirm this issue (W10 1903, RME UFX+ with latest RME drivers, whatever version of Kontakt)? :(

@ Psychlist1972 - still crickets on that glitch trace? :(
Out of curiosity, if you disable your NIC (through device manager), do you still get glitches?

Pete
Old 30th August 2019
  #407
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
No I get the same issue in standalone Kontakt with a different library (that is a work in progress, soon to release). Exact same symptoms. So it's not just a FL issue. It's somewhere deep in Windows <-> ASIO. It doesn't happen with WASAPI/DirectSound, so that should tell something, I think...

EDIT: I get the same issue in Kontakt standalone with Spitfire Chamber Strings and MIDI from the DAW project exported to .mid file and being sent to Kontakt via virtual MIDI port.
Windows audio stack isn't involved at all when you use ASIO. The app is talking pretty much directly to the driver.

But there are other things that can impact it.

Pete
Old 30th August 2019
  #408
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosho View Post
My system autoupdated today , went online for 5 min for an update . Did not want to interrupt it .What happens , when you interrupt it ? It was not the right time at all , I was busy working on some music.
dpc latency does not seem to be an issue anymore . But I had to reinstall the Yamaha/Steinberg USB driver . And the steinberg dongle showed some strange errors but that was a very quick and easy fix . Went on working with an RME USB interface at 128 samples buffer , could not spot any glitches so far. But I was not using a sampler plugin . Quite some u-he Diva and repro
Copy protection does lots of things we don't want it to do, and recommend against, so it's common for dongles like that to need reinstallation after an update.

As for update time: if you are way overdue because you've been offline or powered off, and there's a pending update, and you're not within a deferral period, it will eventually just happen.

Pete
Old 30th August 2019
  #409
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Out of curiosity, if you disable your NIC (through device manager), do you still get glitches?

Pete
I will check it out!


EDIT: Unfortunately, yes, the glitches are still there even after disabling network. :(


(BTW It's Intel I219-V as reported by device manager... and as mentioned multiple times already, things worked juuuuust fine in 1809 )
Old 30th August 2019
  #410
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I will check it out!


EDIT: Unfortunately, yes, the glitches are still there even after disabling network. :(


(BTW It's Intel I219-V as reported by device manager... and as mentioned multiple times already, things worked juuuuust fine in 1809 )
Have you tried reinstalling Windows 10 and keeping all apps and files? Of course take a clone or image before trying that. I had a Windows activation problem and some other problems that disappeared after doing that.
Use Windows download tool (Create Windows 10 installation media):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old 30th August 2019
  #411
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
I don't have time for that, loads of work to do.
Old 30th August 2019
  #412
Gear Maniac
 
sosho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Copy protection does lots of things we don't want it to do, and recommend against, so it's common for dongles like that to need reinstallation after an update.
The yamaha steinberg driver that was causing bigger problems has nothing to do with the copyprotection dongle . It is a combined audio midi driver for the Yamaha MOXF . I have another Yamaha USB Midi only driver installed for a CP5 .That one never caused problems .I got the MOXF later , installed that driver on 1809.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post

As for update time: if you are way overdue because you've been offline or powered off, and there's a pending update, and you're not within a deferral period, it will eventually just happen.

Pete
I was feeling safe because my HP Zbook 2 still showed the 1903 upgrade as optional.
Is there a way to get virus definition updates for defender via another online machine ?
Thanks
Old 30th August 2019
  #413
Lives for gear
 
GP_Hawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I don't have time for that, loads of work to do.
Do you have Groove Music installed? Try removing that with win powershell...there is no un installer. Oddly enough worked for me when I was having similar clicks as you.
Old 30th August 2019
  #414
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I don't have time for that, loads of work to do.
Okay, it takes maximum 30 minutes. My guess is that it gonna spare you time....I tried every trick in the book to get my activation solved (troubleshooter, change product key, regedit, repairing Token .dat, echo .bat file and so on), but the watermark always came back. Sometimes within hours sometimes it took 24 hours. Now it's been good for 36 hours so I hope it is solved. Also the ntoskrnl.exe seems calmer after the repair
Old 30th August 2019
  #415
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Do you have Groove Music installed? Try removing that with win powershell...there is no un installer. Oddly enough worked for me when I was having similar clicks as you.
Actually in 1903 you can uninstall it without fussing with Powershell.

Unfortunately this did not remove the clicks :( unsure if a reboot would be required, I suppose not.
Old 31st August 2019
  #416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosho View Post
The yamaha steinberg driver that was causing bigger problems has nothing to do with the copyprotection dongle . It is a combined audio midi driver for the Yamaha MOXF . I have another Yamaha USB Midi only driver installed for a CP5 .That one never caused problems .I got the MOXF later , installed that driver on 1809.


I was feeling safe because my HP Zbook 2 still showed the 1903 upgrade as optional.
Is there a way to get virus definition updates for defender via another online machine ?
Thanks
Sorry. When you said "dongle", I assumed it was copy protection.

Defender updates: not that I'm aware of.

Pete
Old 3rd September 2019
  #417
Gear Maniac
 
sosho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This doesn't happen with a particularly busy CPU, though. Sure Kontakt is streaming 300-400 voices in these cases, but my CPU meter is ~10%...


And again, this did not happen before 1903 - with those same instruments, and same audio interface and other hardware.
Hmmm , I am getting clicks now , too . With high voice count . Not totally sure if I missed something, yet. I am not getting other artefacts ( systemsounds disabled ) , WASAPI does not work for me , high latency or garbled audio
Or if those were there before or I used higher buffer before the autoupdate . I made an image and probably will roll back first
Old 3rd September 2019
  #418
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
I'm constantly on 128 spls buffer and I had no problems streaming 1000 voices from Kontakt before 1903.
Old 3rd September 2019
  #419
Lives for gear
 
juiseman's Avatar
 

@ EvilDragon

Hey bud; what hardware are you running?
I don't have any hard evidence; but I was posting about some possible
degraded audio performance of all these Intel patches on some other forms
a bit ago.

Especially on anything older than 3-4 years from Intel; I have noticed all
my X5675's X5680's & my E5-2600's (v1's & v2's) are just not as snappy
as they were. But, the Win 7 rig (studio computer) seems fine.
I don't notice many dropouts; but I can't run as many FX or VSTi's as I used too.

It could just my imagination though; I don't have any real data or benches
to back this claim up.....just something I noticed. Plus, I haven't heard anyone
else make the same claims as me....so take that (like everything you read) with
a big A$$ grain of salt.....

~JuIsE~
Old 3rd September 2019
  #420
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
[email protected] GHz, 64 GB RAM. Intel patches were running perfectly fine on 1809, I didn't notice any deteriorated performance. Plus I also disabled OS-side Spectre/Meltdown mitigations.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump