The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ryzen 3000 series
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Nut

Ryzen 3000 series

Hello,

Not very long ago the new AMD's Ryzen platform has been upgraded. The 3000 series is the newest among the AMD upgraded Ryzen iterations. From 6 core to the 12 core behemoth, it is all there. The 12 core part features a whopping 70mb of total cache. From the first 6 core till the 12 core part, it has the price noted. The IPC has been greatly increased. That's good for games but also applications. So far no info about the 16 core unit, 12 core would suffice as well IMO.

Here are the detailed articles:

Anandtech rundown
Toms hardware newest Ryzen info

Hell yeah I am going to upgrade to the new Ryzen! I now have a 9 year old AMD quadcore. Saving money is key. CPU's are coming in July.

What are your thoughts?

Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Ryzen 3000 looks really amazing, I love the IPC increase, and having 12 cores /24 threads with a 105 watt TDP is awesome!

But without thunderbolt 3 support I can’t benefit from it unfortunately.
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

12 cores!
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear

There is probably some good deals on older models too when it retails. I got a good deal on 1st gen Ryzen 1800x (8 core) when 2nd gen was released. Not had any performance problems yet.
Old 28th May 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Did they not have weaker single core performance compared to intel?
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Yes. But the IPC has been upgraded to around 15% compared to the last Ryzen series. I think that this Ryzen has that poor single core performance smashed.

Awesome stuff.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Addict

yep; been keeping a close eye on this. I'm waiting to see some audio benchmarks before I'm convinced.
If everything is as good as the leaks are saying; this is great news.
More competition and better prices & performance for everyone
in the production environment.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Maniac

It certainly looks very promising, personally I'd really want the 16 core which some say will be released in July as well, while others say it'll be released later. The 16 core has already been spotted in benchmarks though. I also look forward to see real world audio benchmarks, especially to see if AMD has improved low latency performance. One other thing I don't like is that *most of the x570 boards have fans, as I understand it needs the extra cooling when running 2 m.2 drives in raid, but I don't like the idea of having a fan on the motherboard if I'm trying to build a near silent PC. Exciting times though to build a PC. Also nice that memory prices have come down

Last edited by Mplay; 28th May 2019 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: *
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplay View Post
One other thing I don't like is that the x570 boards have fans
All of them?
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
All of them?
You're right, not all of them.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
At the top end? Yes. But the question is irrelevant unless you fall into the category of consumer who'd buy that.

In other words: It's all about performance / dollar as long as it meets one's minimum requirements and the top end is out of budget.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

The chipset fans are supposedly due to PCIe 4.0 making things run hot. I'd hope the fans are quiet and replaceable.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Addict

Awesome news indeed.

And especially promissing for the new generation of Threadrippers.

If I understood correctly, with all the security breeches and patches that are working in the background, Intel's lower latency advantage for audio seems to dissolve as well. Correct me if I'm wrong. Here's an interesting article on that claim:
Intel Loses 5X More Average Performance Than AMD From Mitigations: Report

So besides a mobo fan, the only drawback for an AMD based DAW is Thunderbolt support. And it's not clear to me whether this is or was specifically due to Ryzen 1 CPU's? Is this not solved with the 3rd gen / Ryzen 2 series of CPU's?
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

TB just isn't officially supported as far as I know. From what I've read some people have simply bought a Gigabyte (or other) Titan Ridge PCIe card for Thunderbolt, jumped a couple of pins (or connected to motherboard on the Gigabyte Designare) and have then had it work. Some with hotswap, some without.

I haven't seen anything on audio devices connected via TB so I can't speak to that, and according to some there are not infrequent issues with TB even on supported Intel CPUs. So from my perspective - since I don't need TB - I'd get an upgrade when needed and it'd be a Threadripper. And then if I can get TB to work that'd be a nice bonus. If not, so be it.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

Oh, and quite frankly I like supporting the underdog. Better pricing, less security issues on the CPUs... not to mention far less shady unethical business practices.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Nut

Been waiting for this one. I'm more than likely gonna get the 3700 since it's only 65 watts and should be enough for both games and DAW usuage. I figure since I've waited long enough it should be a pretty good upgrade over my i5 4670k from like 6 years ago. I'm hoping that it would handle low latency audio a bit better since my Focusrite Clarret 4Pre USB is way more CPU hungry than my old Firewire-based Saffire Pro 24. What do you guys think? Solid upgrade? I'm not sure if I can wait for benchmarks
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
Ryzen 3000 looks really amazing, I love the IPC increase, and having 12 cores /24 threads with a 105 watt TDP is awesome!

But without thunderbolt 3 support I can’t benefit from it unfortunately.
ASRock announced 2 AMD X570 motherboards "thunderbolt ready" through a PCIe card:
1 x Thunderbolt™ AIC Connector (5-pin) (Supports ASRock Thunderbolt™ AIC Card only)

https://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.as...,X570%20Taichi
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel23 View Post
So besides a mobo fan, the only drawback for an AMD based DAW is Thunderbolt support. And it's not clear to me whether this is or was specifically due to Ryzen 1 CPU's? Is this not solved with the 3rd gen / Ryzen 2 series of CPU's?
Some reports say TB 3 will be available for the X570 platform.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofort View Post
ASRock announced 2 AMD X570 motherboards "thunderbolt ready" through a PCIe card:
1 x Thunderbolt™ AIC Connector (5-pin) (Supports ASRock Thunderbolt™ AIC Card only)

https://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.as...,X570%20Taichi
If that turns out to be working that's great!
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Nut

How about Thunderbolt Ports on board, tis be awesome eh? You got it. Asrock X570 Creator (two ports) and X570 ITX (one port). I suppose other brands will have at least one or two boards with Thunderbolt Ports on board.

I'm not a fan of small fans on motherboards --- there are water cooled options, though I'm not cool about water cooling! I prefer passive cooling and large fans. It's a wait and see how it all pans out regarding thermals, noise, performance and connectivity.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel23 View Post
Awesome news indeed.

And especially promissing for the new generation of Threadrippers.

If I understood correctly, with all the security breeches and patches that are working in the background, Intel's lower latency advantage for audio seems to dissolve as well. Correct me if I'm wrong. Here's an interesting article on that claim:
Intel Loses 5X More Average Performance Than AMD From Mitigations: Report

I would add to the list of drawbacks the lack of integrated graphics, which for me is a bummer as I wanted to put together a quiet small form factor PC.

I was too worried about the chipset fan and had already even purchased an Intel i9-9900K and z390 motherboard, but later returned them after a fellow GS user commented that Ryzen 3000 chips will work just fine on x470 motherboards which don't need the chipset fan, and also cost less. So now I'm just waiting for July 7th... Are the Scan Pro Audio folks usually quick to get their hands on the latest CPUs? Can't wait to see some benchmarks
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Guru

Benchmarks are usually pretty quick. My guess is that techreport.com/ will have a DAWbench comparison out right away. They tend to get samples for review early on and have included DAWbench the last couple of years.

Personally I think this chipset fan stuff is potentially completely overblown as an issue. It just seems like one of those things that, granted, nobody really wants to have, but also that people then start obsessing over (like "vrm") without really knowing if it makes much of a difference at all.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Benchmarks are usually pretty quick. My guess is that techreport.com/ will have a DAWbench comparison out right away. They tend to get samples for review early on and have included DAWbench the last couple of years.

Personally I think this chipset fan stuff is potentially completely overblown as an issue. It just seems like one of those things that, granted, nobody really wants to have, but also that people then start obsessing over (like "vrm") without really knowing if it makes much of a difference at all.
Good point...

Although; I would prefer some big, bulky, manly VRM's rather than
some wimpy, sissy, cheap looking VRM's if i just forked some cash
for my new 18 core BadA$$ CPU......ha..

Old 20th June 2019
Gear Guru

I understand.

It's just that it seems to me people are getting all bent out of shape over what level VRMs motherboard X has when I think the jury is out on whether or not that really makes any difference at all for that user. For any user who isn't planning on manually overclocking for example any motherboard that is qualified for a CPU should be able tor run it without problems. Obviously, there is some leeway in just how much a CPU automatically overclocks ("turbo" or "XFR" or whatever it's called) and so a better system is, well, better... but it really seems to me like part of all of this is due to some overclockers that decide to push things to the absolute limit complain that the VRMs aren't good enough.

It just seems... a bit overblown a worry to me.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Addict

Also good point; or the reason x vs y is the gold & black mil-spec Japanese caps
vs the regular old Blue-sliver Caps. The blacks may last longer, but is the
performance affected? hard to say...it would be hard to measure those results unless in a directly controlled environment with a lot of samples of x and y.

p.s

The Black Caps with Gold stripes do look more professional, huh?
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
Also good point; or the reason x vs y is the gold & black mil-spec Japanese caps
vs the regular old Blue-sliver Caps. The blacks may last longer, but is the
performance affected? hard to say...it would be hard to measure those results unless in a directly controlled environment with a lot of samples of x and y.

p.s

The Black Caps with Gold stripes do look more professional, huh?
Those big capacitors are among the easiest soldered components to replace in a motherboard, not only because they are chunky but also because their value is printed on them (unlike SMD ceramic caps).

My experience with motherboards and PC components in general is that, once it all goes in the case and is working properly, it's 'out of sight, out of mind'—you forget the individual components and the fact that you no longer have the very latest, you start seeing your PC as one lump of matter that gets the job done. Dust buildup inside the box is generally a sign that the thing has grown on you.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU Benchmarks Surface
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...-surfaces.html

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Glides Past Intel Core i9-9900K In Leaked Geekbench Numbers
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...nch,39691.html

AMD X570 chipset fan (It's in German and if I understood correctly, no problem for normal use)
https://www.tomshw.de/2019/06/12/lau...slab-exklusiv/

ASRock Taichi X570 has good VRM + 12k Japanese capacitors, T-topology(optimized for 4 dims) RAM slots
+ Thunderbolt header.
For RAM speed AMD has stated 3600C16 is the "sweet spot" and that after 3733MHz the infinity fabric
changes from 1:1 ratio to 2:1.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Glides Past Intel Core i9-9900K In Leaked Geekbench Numbers
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...nch,39691.html
That's not what the article says, it says the results are inconclusive. I speculate the 3800X is going to be comparable to the i9-9900K minus integrated graphics plus higher TDP. 3900X and 3950X are the real game-changers
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Addict
Psyched about the TB3 options. Will go AMD if:

1) There are passive TB3 mobos
2) Thermals are below the last Intels (which have been awful if you want a quiet aircooled machine)
3) The IPC and low latency performance gap is finally close enough to be negligible compared to Intel

Rumors are that Intel will slash CPU prices in line with the Ryzen launch, so we benefit either way.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-380...d-performance/

https://www.game-debate.com/news/273...enchmarks-leak

Looks like Single Thread and latency are a lot better; but intel still
taking the lead. Multi-thread is better as expected...

Last edited by juiseman; 25th June 2019 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Stupid Wording
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search