All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ryzen 3000 series
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
For AMD you want the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15.../dp/B01NC06ZYT
I don't think you need the SE, as far as I know it works fine with the standard D15. I think they initially sold it as an AM4 special edition, then added the required mounting to the main edition.

I could be mistaken though.

Noctua NH-D15 SSO2
Quote:
Easy-to-install SecuFirm2 multi-socket mounting system for Intel LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA2011, LGA2066 & AMD AM2(+), AM3(+) FM1, FM2(+), AM4
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Pictures Surface on Reddit
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...res,40417.html

Also some rumors around that with Apple also using TSMC for 7nm along with AMD's CPU/GPUs it could mean manufacturing demand outstripping capacity. Based on the comments though it's likely FUD.

TSMC delays could blight AMD Navi and Ryzen production

Last edited by PitchSlap; 3 weeks ago at 03:06 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I don't think you need the SE, as far as I know it works fine with the standard D15. I think they initially sold it as an AM4 special edition, then added the required mounting to the main edition.

I could be mistaken though.

Noctua NH-D15 SSO2
My D15s came with am4 hardware.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
My D15s came with am4 hardware.
The 'SE2' version comes with the brackets for AM4 motherboards.

There are still ones without floating about with retailers, including the one I bought gahh. But you can order the parts from Noctua for free on their website, took about a week to receive mine.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoobley View Post
Hey everyone! Thought I'd share that my 3900X FINALLY arrived so I'm now typing this on my new build:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
MSI X570 Taichi Motherboard
ASUS Rog Strix 2060S Graphics Card
2x 16g 3200 CAS 14 Gskill Ripjaws V RAM
Corsair RM750x PSU
Other boring stuff like M2 SSD, Noctua CPU fan, Fractal R6 case etc

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE TAICHI if you have a large graphics card! On PCI slot 1 it will block the motherboard fan and the USB front header. Learned this the hard way.

Other than that, all good!

Looking in to overclocking the RAM but googling around I have NO idea what I'm doing.
The X570 Taichi has a Thunderbolt 3 header!!!
Add a Gigabyte Titan Ridge TB3 card.
No problems with latency if you have a Presonus Quantum.
Asrock will send you an L shaped adapter for the USBC header.
They say new editions of the Taichi will fix this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Not surprising. But I was hoping to order a 3950x rig from Scan next week. Ah, well. Maybe get a weaker processor, set up the computer, and swap when the baddie is available.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...ntil-november/
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

> World's first 16 core gaming CPU

What a stupid title.

Pretty sure there isn't a single game out there that actually uses more than 8 cores.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

What a stupid title.

Pretty sure there isn't a single game out there that actually uses more than 8 cores.

Yep. You are probably right.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Its going to be hard to get this chip once it finally does come out.
I think AMD is having troubling keeping up with the demand of these CPU's.

Also, Threadripper 3 is supposed to come out at the same time. I guess they
have to share the available chaplets amongst all of the line up......Epyc is also
eating a lot!! with those 64 cores and all .....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

What a stupid title.

It may be true that there aren't many games that really benefit from 16 cores (wouldn't be surprised if something like Star Citizen would eventually add optimization for more cores), what it does help with is if you happen to stream the game simultaneously while playing it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll admit I dont have the greatest memory--I have been reading this thread. It looks to be about people thinking about amd or building one, but I am not seeing as much on how well it turned out. Are we getting a consensus here that these chips are as good or better than intel for audio, or is it still too soon to say. I do recall one or two people struggling with heat and maybe fans getting noisy because of that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
Its going to be hard to get this chip once it finally does come out.
I think AMD is having troubling keeping up with the demand of these CPU's.
I've been waiting so long now, I'm almost considering building a system with the cheapest Ryzen AM4 processor now, and just considering it a loss when I upgrade. That would also mean I'm not stuck in limbo again if there is another delay or limited supply.

The AMD RYZEN 3 2200G includes basic integrated graphics so I could also wait a bit on a Navi card.

It would allow me to get all my software configured etc.
My only concern is that after I upgrade the processor and add a graphics card it will wreak havoc with a bunch of copy protection and will make a mess.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I've been waiting so long now, I'm almost considering building a system with the cheapest Ryzen AM4 processor now, and just considering it a loss when I upgrade. That would also mean I'm not stuck in limbo again if there is another delay or limited supply.

The AMD RYZEN 3 2200G includes basic integrated graphics so I could also wait a bit on a Navi card.

It would allow me to get all my software configured etc.
My only concern is that after I upgrade the processor and add a graphics card it will wreak havoc with a bunch of copy protection and will make a mess.
Not sure, but most are related to harddrive and mac adress.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

B550 boards coming soon

AMD B550 Specifications and Details
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'll admit I dont have the greatest memory--I have been reading this thread. It looks to be about people thinking about amd or building one, but I am not seeing as much on how well it turned out. Are we getting a consensus here that these chips are as good or better than intel for audio, or is it still too soon to say. I do recall one or two people struggling with heat and maybe fans getting noisy because of that.
There's been no significant audio-specific new insights since July, as far as I am aware. Pete from Scanproaudio.info announced new tests back then but also mentioned a high workload.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm ready to buy into it, but I'm waiting for scan pro to offer better RAM for their AMD workstation, currently the only choice is 3600Mhz CL18. I've considered getting better RAM elsewhere, but the G.Skill modules I saw are all too big to fit under the CPU cooler the scan pro systems come with. I'm hoping Corsair (which scan pro seem to have as their only RAM option) bring out 3733Mhz or 3600Mhz modules with CL 16 so those can be part of a pre-built system.

Some tests seemed to indicate weird Cubase 10 performance was connected to RAM speed/latency, but there was no more news in that regard, either. I guess for Cubase 10 users the jury is still somewhat out (another reason why I'm in no hurry to buy a new PC, even though on the other hand I don't know what the looming hard Brexit might do to scan pro's ability to export to my country).
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since I don't overclock, I have never given ram a second thought. I get it fast enough to support what the mobo can do, and never had ram that didn't do the job. Is there something in amd stuff that has more ram-dependency or creates tiers of better or worse ram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Thanks. Interesting, but too deep for me to wrap my mind around. Is this discussion about getting ram that overclocks or supports over-clocking? Maybe I should learn more about oc. Spent a lot of time around pcs, but never took that next step.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since I don't overclock, I have never given ram a second thought. I get it fast enough to support what the mobo can do, and never had ram that didn't do the job. Is there something in amd stuff that has more ram-dependency or creates tiers of better or worse ram?

Thanks. Interesting, but too deep for me to wrap my mind around. Is this discussion about getting ram that overclocks or supports over-clocking? Maybe I should learn more about oc. Spent a lot of time around pcs, but never took that next step.
It shows that X570 chipset is mature enough that you can throw any of these memory modules at it and it will perform fine. Micron E-Die was overclocked from 3000 to 4800 MHz, although using voltages I would not recommend. It just shows how great this chip is, while being the cheapest of those three.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
B550 boards coming soon

AMD B550 Specifications and Details
Hi fellow slutz, first post. Been following this thread for quite a while.

Thanks Lesha, for the link. If the slight reduction of functionalities means that the B550 will be fanless then it's a winner.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioJanitor View Post
Hi fellow slutz, first post. Been following this thread for quite a while.

Thanks Lesha, for the link. If the slight reduction of functionalities means that the B550 will be fanless then it's a winner.
Yes, that is exactly what I was waiting for.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
I came to 3900X from 8700K OC’ed to 5.2GHz. I use Sequoia as my DAW. And I use fair amount of Izotope RX. 3900X wins in every account, especially in ASIO buffer size. My interface is a RME UFX. Working on 96KHz project, I am at the smallest ASIO buffer of 96 allowed by the RME driver. Intel 8700K couldn’t do that. Sequoia is not great with multi-core support but 3900X wins it anyways. On Izotope RX which has great multi-core support on its noise reduction, 3900X runs 225-250% faster.

On other apps, such as Lightroom, 3900X is also dramatically better.
It's not fair to compare 8700k with 3900x. The fair comparison would be 9900k vs 3900x.

Has anyone had a chance compare these two for DAW?

I was about to buy 9900k for DAW as well as video editing (on a separate OS) but I'm thinking about 3900x now... Has anyone compared 3900x vs 9900k for Audio production? Any DPC latest issues?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon View Post
It's not fair to compare 8700k with 3900x. The fair comparison would be 9900k vs 3900x.

Has anyone had a chance compare these two for DAW?

I was about to buy 9900k for DAW as well as video editing (on a separate OS) but I'm thinking about 3900x now... Has anyone compared 3900x vs 9900k for Audio production? Any DPC latest issues?

You are not reading it carefully.

I didn't compare the two. I stated the fact between the two. With certain apps, more cores the better.

Lastly, is Sequoia not a DAW?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon View Post
Has anyone compared 3900x vs 9900k for Audio production? Any DPC latest issues?
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07...-magic-number/

http://www.scanproaudio.info/category/test-labs/
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
You are not reading it carefully.

I didn't compare the two. I stated the fact between the two. With certain apps, more cores the better.

Lastly, is Sequoia not a DAW?
Sequoia is certainly a DAW.

I'm just looking for comparison between 9900k and 3900x in DAW and heavy Kontakt applications. I know 3900x beats 9900k for video production but I wonder about audio, because I do both.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Previous benchmarks showed it fair beat the i9 K-series chips, but not the i9 X-series chips.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I honestly don't really get why people get so caught up in some 'fears'. The only first hand accounts regarding motherboard fans have been positive as far as I can tell. It's a bit similar to the constant concern over "VRM" 'quality' (or 'quantity').

Anyway, here's a motherboard I just spotted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14807...te-x570-xtreme

no fan...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
IIRC wasn't there a time when only Intel chips had the right type of "maths" for audio?
Are those days long gone?

Also before I drop a fairly large chunk of cheddar on a Scan i 9920X 12 core 3XS boutique workstation - would my money
be better spend on this new AMD CPU Scan3XS workstation they are a fair bit cheaper!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There are special instruction set libraries (for lack of a better word) that perform some math functions faster. I think they are different between amd and intel, but I think most daw/plugins are capable of using the appropriate amd or intel libraries. As to which scan, I imagine scan would have the most expertise to answer your question.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
IIRC wasn't there a time when only Intel chips had the right type of "maths" for audio?
Are those days long gone?
I think it has to do with how 'wide' some data is when processed. I'm guessing you're thinking of "AVX". If that's the case it's basically just a tradeoff and one isn't necessarily better than the other because of those tradeoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Also before I drop a fairly large chunk of cheddar on a Scan i 9920X 12 core 3XS boutique workstation - would my money
be better spend on this new AMD CPU Scan3XS workstation they are a fair bit cheaper!
Not sure what their configurations are, but looking at the price of a 9920x it seems to me unlikely that it'll outperform the upcoming AMD 16-core CPU for about 70% of the cost.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search