All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
2019 MacBook Pro 8 core i9 released!
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

2019 MacBook Pro 8 core i9 released!

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Returning my 2018 6 core I bought a few weeks ago and swapping for an 8 core. Worked great for mixing at high buffer settings, but been having problems with running at low buffers with protools 2019.5 and latest Mojave while tracking and recording virtual instruments, hope this is somehow improved but not holding my breath. Supposedly 40% more powerful than last years 6 core...
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Dear Apple, I don’t care. The butterfly keyboard still sucks. The touchbar is still stupid. I’m holding on to my 2014 MacBook Pro until it dies. Pull your head out of your ass, Apple.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffers View Post
Dear Apple, I don’t care. The butterfly keyboard still sucks. The touchbar is still stupid. I’m holding on to my 2014 MacBook Pro until it dies. Pull your head out of your ass, Apple.
You forgot to tag @ timcook
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Switched to PC/win10 never looked back. Things have changed a lot.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

I bet that gets very warm.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I bet that gets very warm.
Just wanted to mention that this looks like a potential thermal throtling beast. I don't understand why Apple for their pro users and top spec machines doesn't make at least half an inch thicker MacBook with top specs and more external peripheral interfaces and everything would be great.

People using fancy MacBooks for manipulating their Instagram selfies don't need top specs machine, so they would still buy what they do today and both markets would be covered.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear Apple, I don’t care. The butterfly keyboard still sucks.
Have you tried the 2019 version of the keyboard? They've reworked it and are offering to trade out the keyboards on 2018 MacBook Pros for the newer keyboard, so they must be convinced it's worth the trouble. I'll certainly be finding out when I have a chance.

I quite like the Touch Bar after being initially skeptical. I wouldn't say I'm convinced it's worth the cost but it is surprisingly useful.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Have you tried the 2019 version of the keyboard? They've reworked it and are offering to trade out the keyboards on 2018 MacBook Pros for the newer keyboard, so they must be convinced it's worth the trouble. I'll certainly be finding out when I have a chance.

I quite like the Touch Bar after being initially skeptical. I wouldn't say I'm convinced it's worth the cost but it is surprisingly useful.
Whether they’ve finally fixed the problems with the keyboard or not is irrelevant to me. I hate the feel of the butterfly keyboard. The extremely shallow key travel and stupid layout of the arrow keys is the same. It’s unpleasant to use, even if it is finally “fixed”.

And I want PHYSICAL function keys, and especially the Esc key. The touchbar totally sucks for touch typing. It’s everything I hate about typing on a tablet or phone. I cannot stand the fact that Apple forces it on you for everything but the lowest-end 13” MBP.

If I could get the keyboard from the 2015 MBP back, I’d buy one in a heartbeat. I can work around the other complaints I have about their design choices (thermal issues because it’s too thin, lack of ports) but the keyboard is just terrible, and I refuse to spend thousands of dollars on a product that is going to piss me off every time I use it.

BTW, I have had extended experience with it, so I’m not complaining with no frame of reference. My company gave me one. I used it for about 2 months before I begged them to give me an older MBP instead.

Last edited by jjeffers; 22nd May 2019 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Stuff
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Addict

Looks lovingly at his 2015 MBP 15"
Says to it, "Don't worry dear, we'll be together a long time."
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want PHYSICAL function keys, and especially the Esc key. The touchbar totally sucks for touch typing. It’s everything I hate about typing on a tablet or phone. I cannot stand the fact that Apple forces it on you for everything but the lowest-end 13” MBP.
It would be great if they’d offer the option as build-to order for every model, no question. The Escape key is something of a nuisance, I’ll grant you, but the function keys have to be of value to a somewhat specialized community. I certainly don’t miss them in the least as I can’t remember the last time I used them routinely on a Mac. What app do you use where they’re a normal part of your workflow?

The feel of the keyboard is interestingly polarizing, very much like keyboard action in the musical sense I assume, in that some love playing on keyboards I can’t stand and vice-versa. I find the current MacBook Pro keyboards to be quick and easy to type on so clearly YMMV.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

They offer already a keyboard repair program for the 2019 MBPro. Enough said.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It would be great if they’d offer the option as build-to order for every model, no question. The Escape key is something of a nuisance, I’ll grant you, but the function keys have to be of value to a somewhat specialized community. I certainly don’t miss them in the least as I can’t remember the last time I used them routinely on a Mac. What app do you use where they’re a normal part of your workflow?
Pro Tools uses function keys extensively for switching tools. A bunch of standard Mac stuff I use is also mapped to function keys. Display brightness, volume, play start/stop, window switching, etc. I want real keys I can use by feel, not something that forces me to look away from the screen to figure out where I need to press on a glass panel.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

As 10.14.5 finally fixed my issues I was having with recording, the 8 core could be the death of desktop for a lot of people. The 6 core 2018 I have is crazy powerful, it’s the only machine I need.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pro Tools uses function keys extensively for switching tools.
I completely understand your pain in that case.

Quote:
A bunch of standard Mac stuff I use is also mapped to function keys. Display brightness, volume, play start/stop, window switching, etc. I want real keys I can use by feel, not something that forces me to look away from the screen to figure out where I need to press on a glass panel.
Ah. I tend to think of the system functions as being distinct since you have to press a modifier to toggle between them and the true function key behavior. Frankly, I find the Touch Bar shines for all the system features. Instead of tapping away at brightness adjustment keys or holding them and hoping to release at the right time, you can touch them and drag sideways to adjust volume and brightness with much more precision.

Better yet, there are a ton of context-specific behaviors that show up. Type a command in Terminal and there’s a man page “key” visible without having to memorize the layout. Start debugging in Xcode and all the stepping behaviors are readily visible. Playing back audio or video? There’s a scrubber bar. Selecting colors, you can see the spectrum laid out. It’s really much more useful than I expected.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
As 10.14.5 finally fixed my issues I was having with recording, the 8 core could be the death of desktop for a lot of people. The 6 core 2018 I have is crazy powerful, it’s the only machine I need.
What problems were you having?
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Just wanted to mention that this looks like a potential thermal throtling beast. I don't understand why Apple for their pro users and top spec machines doesn't make at least half an inch thicker MacBook with top specs and more external peripheral interfaces and everything would be great.

People using fancy MacBooks for manipulating their Instagram selfies don't need top specs machine, so they would still buy what they do today and both markets would be covered.
Great points, and a bigger screen would add volume and help cool the beast.. I will still probably go for this one because it is a huge jump in CPU power, I thought the throttling was partly fixed with one of the OS X upgrades last year?
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ah. I tend to think of the system functions as being distinct since you have to press a modifier to toggle between them and the true function key behavior. Frankly, I find the Touch Bar shines for all the system features. Instead of tapping away at brightness adjustment keys or holding them and hoping to release at the right time, you can touch them and drag sideways to adjust volume and brightness with much more precision.

Better yet, there are a ton of context-specific behaviors that show up. Type a command in Terminal and there’s a man page “key” visible without having to memorize the layout. Start debugging in Xcode and all the stepping behaviors are readily visible. Playing back audio or video? There’s a scrubber bar. Selecting colors, you can see the spectrum laid out. It’s really much more useful than I expected.
I could get on board with the touchbar if it was in addition to regular function keys rather than replacing them. There's certainly room for an extra row if they made the comically huge trackpad slightly smaller.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Very curious how it behaves when it operates on full power
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Geekbench results look good, but not as good as Apple says: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/23...ro-benchmarks/
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin III View Post
What problems were you having?
There are 2 threads on this board about USB audio glitches and other issues with the T2 chip related to recording. Basically I couldn't use it for 8 months and had to buy a used 2015 to record. Tried it with multiple interfaces (USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt 2) and it would crackle and stutter even with no cpu load. Total nightmare, all of my friends with 2018s had the same issues. Apple never acknowledged the issue even though my case went up to senior management. Finally there was enough backlash from the music community that articles started to get written about the problems, and Apple fixed it about a month later.

Apple bug fixes are not as fast as they used to be. Something to be aware of. Now my 2018 is working great for recording since 10.14.5. BUT as of this reply (ha) I'm getting the dreaded double key press with my spacebar (faulty keyboard). Looks like I'll be getting a new keyboard soon.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
BUT as of this reply (ha) I'm getting the dreaded double key press with my spacebar (faulty keyboard). Looks like I'll be getting a new keyboard soon.
If you need to have this keyboard replaced, what's impressive is now Apple is often providing same day service at an Apple Store.

I sold my 2016 MPB (I have 6 core 2018 now) and the buyer had keyboard issue 2 months after I sold to him. He took it to his closest Apple Store, and he got same day turn-around for new keyboard, new battery.

All done for free on a 3 year old computer out of warrantee bought second hand.
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
If you need to have this keyboard replaced, what's impressive is now Apple is often providing same day service at an Apple Store.

I sold my 2016 MPB (I have 6 core 2018 now) and the buyer had keyboard issue 2 months after I sold to him. He took it to his closest Apple Store, and he got same day turn-around for new keyboard, new battery.

All done for free on a 3 year old computer out of warrantee bought second hand.
In Europe, Apple service is trained to be unfriendly even under the protection plan. In Europe, the buyer would get peanuts for a trade in at best.
Old 25th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantik View Post
Switched to PC/win10 never looked back. Things have changed a lot.
Im considering the same - any advice? I was traumatised every time I tried to leave OSX and apple hardware over the years but I hear W10 is decent and if you spend the money you can get something good...was considering a Lenovo X1 extreme...
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Are they offering keyboard replacement even to those who are not experiencing keyboard problems?
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Nut
For years (Win 95-98-NT-XP-7) I wrestled with Windows for audio...building and tweaking the goddamn computers... Moved to Mac in 2007 (Snow Leopard) and it had been marvelous how productive I was...until things with Mac OS started grinding into the ground. My studio box is a 2012 5.1 Mac Pro dual X5680 procs and 32 gig of ram. I put an AMD r280 card in (Mac flashed) and have been running Mojave (latest update) pretty smoothly. I picked up a copy of Win 10 Pro (latest release) and loaded into a separate drive (bypassed Bootcamp for the install...just used the driver download) and I have to tell the Slutz... It's shocking how well Windows 10 runs audio software vs. Mac OS on the same hardware...it's demonstrably superior. More instantaneous feedback from inputs, and significantly lower latencies. It feels like I'm running a direct control machine...you can feel software speaking more directly to the hardware. MS seems to have really turned a corner with this iteration of the OS.
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Im considering the same - any advice? I was traumatised every time I tried to leave OSX and apple hardware over the years but I hear W10 is decent and if you spend the money you can get something good...was considering a Lenovo X1 extreme...
Not experienced with notebooks, because I wenr desktop. Bought all the PC parts and plugged it together. Hardware parts, down the mainboard, wires and cables. Build Quality standards are top notch if you buy standard hardware brands. Windows 10 is just easy, fire and forget. Very stable, very performant. For settings, under the hood you have still the old designed menus of windows xp, but there is no better performance or better multitasking or better stability on mac os anymore. These days are gone. And you get away with 50% the spendings you can invest elsewhere then.

Regarding tipps: you have to research setting up os powermanagement, a little bit about asio drivers. And you should stick with etablished brands when getting hardware.
Old 25th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantik View Post
Not experienced with notebooks, because I wenr desktop. Bought all the PC parts and plugged it together. Hardware parts, down the mainboard, wires and cables. Build Quality standards are top notch if you buy standard hardware brands. Windows 10 is just easy, fire and forget. Very stable, very performant. For settings, under the hood you have still the old designed menus of windows xp, but there is no better performance or better multitasking or better stability on mac os anymore. These days are gone. And you get away with 50% the spendings you can invest elsewhere then.

Regarding tipps: you have to research setting up os powermanagement, a little bit about asio drivers. And you should stick with etablished brands when getting hardware.
thanks...yes it does seem the case its bcoming more possible W10 etc...question - if I have a thunderbolt (TB2) interface Motu 16a - this is possible on a PC with windows? There are PC drivers but I remember TB used to be patchy on PC...
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear
13 incher still rocks ddr3 memory
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search