The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question regarding ADAT connected interface extenders and MIDI
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Question regarding ADAT connected interface extenders and MIDI

Hello,
I’m a long time MOTU 828mkII user but after some testing I’ve decided to update my converters and buy an Audient ID22 for my main ins and outs. I’m planning on keeping the MOTU for the time being and hooking it up to the Audient via the ADAT ins and outs so I can keep some of my hardware inserts plumbed in. However the ID22 doesn’t have midi inputs which I need for my specific controller.

So my question is: will I be able to continue using the MIDI i/o on the Motu to send midi to and from Cubase either via the ADAT through the audient or directly via the MOTU’s own FireWire connection despite it not being selected as the primary interface within cubase?

Thanks in advance
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Create an aggregate device that includes both interfaces. Your software will see this as one unit. Select/assign I/O accordingly. MIDI should work the same.
Old 4 weeks ago
The MIDI I/O will show up regardless of whether you're using it as your interface or not. But it has to stay connected to the Mac. The only thing other than audio you can send over ADAT is the clock/sync, which is terrible so stick with wordclock. So yeah if you want to use MIDI and the analog I/O, you're going to have to make an aggregate device with the two devices.

If you didnt need the MIDI, you could set up the MOTU once in Cuemix and then never need to connect it to the Mac again. You could leave it connected to just the Audients ADAT ports and it'll work great as an 8 in/out expander.. You might even be able to route it from the front panel without a computer but honestly Ive never used that for more than turning the volume up or down so not sure hehe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
I've never had much luck with aggregate devices but your mileage may vary. It seems that even though MIDI is here to stay, midi ports are being replaced by USB. I'd just get a MIDI -> USB box or cable and go straight into your Mac. I have an MOTU 828x as an ADAT slave and it works very well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search