The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtoys 6: What new effects would you like?
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Soundtoys 6: What new effects would you like?

I'm a big fan of Soundtoys. What would you like to see added to version 6?

I would like see see full fledged version of Little Alter Boy and Little Plate.

I would love them to create dedicated chorus and flange plugins.

I would also really like to see them create a dedicated creative reverb that can do shimmer etc.

Anyway that's my wish list.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting, I recently also thought about that..

Honestly I don't miss any effects there.. and I don't necessarily need everything from Soundtoys, as I can have plenty of complementary effects (say those dedicated chorus and flanger plugins) by other vendors.
What I'd rather like from them is primarily some improvements and possibly feature expansion for their existing stuff.

For example for big Echoboy, I'd definitely welcome built-in ducker/gate like in Crystalizer, you can of course do that with external compressor with external key, but that would be much easier and you could save that under single preset. Also its super powerful rhythm (multitap) delay editor can be genuine PITA to control, especially on monitors with higher resolution.. If they could do big detachable window (for example activated with double click to the small built-in one), it will be much easier to work with.
I agree, that addition of some Echoboy module for pitch/frequency shifting could be interesting. If you'd enable it at feedback path, it could allow you those shimmer effects in combination with diffusion section, which is already there. Similarly I can imagine, some automatable freeze (like in Primal Tap) could be interesting there.

With regards to their framework common to all plugins, I think A/B buffer for settings instead of compare to saved will be more useful for me. Also some predefined keystrokes for preset browsing (like with arrow keys), and such buffer switching will be nice for performance without hunt for buttons in UI.

Finally, some "utility" module for their rack might me interesting as well. In most cases, I use their plugins or chains in parallel and if such module have low/hi pass, tilt filter and simple zero latency de-esser, possibly also one knob transient shaper it would really extend rack functionality. Again you could be able to save that to presets there and have one place to adjust all most common effect chain treatments with few knobs at one place would be very nice.. especially for someone, who doesn't have DAW with easy saving of track presets (with multiple plugins).

My few cents

Michal
Old 20th May 2019
A comprehensive EQ is what's missing.

Some more reverbs as well.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
That isn't so surprising with your nickname
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear
I think the CPUs got much more powerful since those plugins got introduced so I would like to see improvements in sound quality.
EchoBoy and Decapitator are my favourites, but they sound too "digital" still.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Maniac

A zero latency version of echoboy.
Old 20th May 2019
Another colourful compressor with more option would be good. And another EQ with more bands. That would complete the toolbox I guess.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

More under the hood options for PrimalTap
Old 20th May 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

It'd be nice if they came up with something as groundbreaking as their old plug ins were when they came out. What, I'm not sure, but that's not my job.

I haven't even heard them for a year, but they still sounded pretty good when I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
A comprehensive EQ is what's missing.

You really think the world needs another EQ? If it was something new and purely creative I'd be all for it. Just another EQ though, no, stoppppppp.

Something that separates the transient from the tone and lets you process them differently. Eventide tried it but I'm not sure it worked that well.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear
I'd like to see their take on something like Izotope Stutter Edit or Glitch 2.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Alvarez View Post
Another colourful compressor with more option would be good.
+1

I'd love something in the design of Decapitator but for compression - like all the classic style comps in one. That would be juicy and very soundtoys-ish.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

An output trim on devil-loc deluxe
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

A Big Plate with more options would be great.

I echo the call for sound updates to all of the existing plugins.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Guru

I always suspect they would make a killer version of the Spectra Sonics 610.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I think the CPUs got much more powerful since those plugins got introduced so I would like to see improvements in sound quality.
EchoBoy and Decapitator are my favourites, but they sound too "digital" still.
Agreed
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

As has been mentioned, improved algorithms, gui, ducking, ability to chain effects within parallel and feedback paths for the effect rack, inserting effects into other effects feedback paths, chorus/flanger plugin, full version of alterboy and plate plugins.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Head

I'd like to see something granular and outrageous, like crystallizers unstable cousin from outta town, mono/poly synth that strains decency standards and could load up effects rack for its fx section. Lastly chubby alterboy with a balls dropped button that could turn the highest voice into a convincing barry white baritone.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Head

Great thread

It would be super cool to have a very large and expanded set of presets for the soundtoys rack, like transmitter.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

How about another compressor, something a bit more transparent, perhaps something like VSC3.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Some crazy harmonizer kind of thing with diatonic mode, delays per voice, feedback on that all.

+1 on dedicated flanger for the basic range (alongside with phase mistress).

The rack expansion for full modular patching . They have been saying there plans for many new features for the rack, so that's probably comming.

Allow the "little" plugins in the rack. Or just alterboy would do.

Update for all the plugins for less aliasing and more oversampling. Probably just as a "high quality" mode.

Compressors. Some STA-Level, 176, Fairchild, U73 or compex inspired compressor with soundtoys twist on it... yum.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Big plate
Big Alter boy
Tube compressor
Limiter
H3000ish thing
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

The only effect I can’t find anywhere is what Adrenalinn plugin used to do before being discontinued. It was a multi effect like the rack but it had a rhythmic, gated trem with one unique feature: the pitch could be transposed on each slice. You’ve heard the effect on some John Mayer’s songs.

https://youtu.be/cGveYy5BnEo

I’ve even sent a message to Soundtoys asking for this since you already have everything, you just need to put them together in a new interface.
It could basically be an update of Tremulator with a new pitched trem mode.

Please. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
A real Echorec model in Echoboy.. I have no clue how this is supposed to be an Echorec, its just sounds like the tape delays heh. No multiple heads to switch on and off, no swell, etc.. Not sure how they would pull that off since the models all share a common set of controls though..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Considering how amazing and powerful Little Plate was as a scaled down freebie, Big Plate could obliterate the reverb competition if they did it, which they probably will with the accolades that LP garnered. I’d also love a Soundtoys chorus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Considering how amazing and powerful Little Plate was as a scaled down freebie, Big Plate could obliterate the reverb competition if they did it, which they probably will with the accolades that LP garnered. I’d also love a Soundtoys chorus.
True that, I would buy Big Plate in an instant heh. I think Little Plate is $99 now? Those of us that got it free SCORED. It sat around here for awhile until one day I decided to try it and now I use it all the time. It got me to buy Echoboy last time it was on sale without even hearing it and that turned out to be a damn good $50 spent right there!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Ursa Major Space Station sst-282
Publison Dhm 89
Dynacord VRS-23

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
A phaser, chorus and a Strymon bigsky type reverb. SoundToys are former Eventide engineers their strengths are in modulation devices and multi fx.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSEGLUE View Post
Ursa Major Space Station sst-282
Publison Dhm 89
Dynacord VRS-23

Huge upvote for an Ursa Major!

The other two units sound really interesting as well!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

This is a nice idea to post and share.

Effect Rack:
++ implement AlterBoy and LittlePlate
++ LittlePlate less then 0,5sek please
+ more slots for plugins for huger and fuller and more chaotic creative super duper effects (I am doing music and sounddesign, so I like to render all in one place - but mostly there's always 2-3 slots missing in EffectRack, so I have to reopen AudioSuite, reopen Presets and render again - booooring)

+1 the editors in Echoboy and else are tricky (GUI) - maybe you can make them more intuitive and easy to use with a mouse. Like User msmucr wrote above.
+1 A/B settings (also msmucr) which can be automated and saved within the plugin. This would save me a lot instances and increase my creative output with Soundtoys!
+1 for keystrokes
+1 PrimalTap could use kind of audio-wave-form window to get a little bit more control over it

- I need absolutely no compressor or EQ at all, there are enough out there. Don't spend time on programming compressor number 2689 or EQ #4111 . That's just boring. Still I don't use the Siemens EQ, only in Effectrack because that's handy.
- I need no dedicated flanger or so. tons of flangers on the market.

Thanks Soundtoys for making me happy since 5 years.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I own the complete SoundToys bundle. I would like to see a HD3000 emulator, a full reverb, and a compressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search