The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Make Acoustic Piano Sound Like Other Instruments? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Make Acoustic Piano Sound Like Other Instruments?

I've been producing some tunes of my own and I've got a cool sound going. Sorta equal parts Tom Waits and Southern Rock.

On this particular track I've got 6 main sounds: Piano, Electric Guitar, Choir, Electric Bass, and Drums, which are all MIDI, and my rumbly voice. It's decent, but the instrumentation is a hair too synthy for what is otherwise a fairly raw style.

I'd like to have instrumentation that has a bit more character. When it gets down to it, the only "real" instruments I have access to are my acoustic piano, which I can play fairly well, and an acoustic guitar, which I cannot play very well. I was wondering if there was a way to record performances of a piano, and through DAW magic (I use Logic) make it sound like a different instrument, and how to go about this.

As an example, I'm not so much interested in making the piano sound like a convincing guitar, but I'd like to fill a guitar's space in the sonic landscape using my piano. Hopefully that make sense. Be great if the methods were versatile, and I could do the same for a bass, an organ, etc.

Any suggestions on effects or the like that could accomplish this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What you are looking for is a MIDI keyboard.

It's not really possible to make a straight piano sound like a guitar, but with a MIDI keyboard you can use your keyboard skills to play just about any instrument.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search