The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Samsung 860 EVO SSD write/read speed issues
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Samsung 860 EVO SSD write/read speed issues

hi, I decided to check the write speed on my two Samsung 860 EVO's on my music production pc, but I don't fully understand the numbers.

Here are the test for Samsung 860 EVO 1 GB which is the OS hard drive:

Why is the numbers so large, like over 5 thousand?

Here are the test for Samsung 860 EVO 2 GB:

Here the numbers are in hundreds, and are too low. It should be like 550mb/s or something.

Tested also in CrystalDisk Mark same numbers. Anybody knows why?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
On the 1TB you probably have Rapid Mode enabled, it's a RAM cache, hence the ridiculous speeds. I don't know about the 2TB though, it does look low... How is it connected to the system? Maybe it's setup as IDE instead of AHCI?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Yes I do have rapid mode on the 1GB hard drive (it uses more of my ram so it goes faster?). When I turn off the rapid mode I get the same "bad" numbers as the other hard disk:

Is it smart to have the rapid mode on, on a music production pc (I have 32GB of ram)? I gonna leave it off until I get the right numbers around 550mb/s.

I gonna open my pc in a couple of days cause I gonna change a fan and clean the pc. I gonna see how the sata is connected. I have maybe used the wrong sata ports or something like that. When I look in the bios I can only see my dvd player and none of the hard drives in the 6GB grey sata ports. My motherboard has four other sata ports that I thought did the same. I guess not. I also gonna try and change the sata cables on the hard drives. I report back when I have tried it. (I do have AHCI enabled in bios).
I have attached pictures of the sata ports of my motherboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Samsung 860 EVO SSD write/read speed issues-sata.01.jpg   Samsung 860 EVO SSD write/read speed issues-sata.02.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search