The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugins that lasted past the honeymoon phase Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Plugins that lasted past the honeymoon phase

What plugins do you have that have lasted far beyond the honeymoon phase? I’m sure we have all experienced picking up the newest and shiniest of plugs but find them collecting virtual dust a few months later when we are back to our true plugin loves! Which plugs have stood the test of time in your workflow?

For me it’s the Fab Filter and Soundtoys bundles without a doubt! I have all sorts of other stuff but I always come back to those tools!
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Nebula
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict
PSP and Nebula 3rd party libraries by TimP and AlexB.

Tony
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

First and foremost Sans Amp PSA-1, originally by Bomb Factory, now administrated by Avid. I switched to Studio One for a while but among many other issues, this plug-in alone was a major part of going back into the dark lands of Pro Tools. Yes, I have the PSA-1 hardware too and it's great but the plug-in is equally good in its own way.

Also Massey, I still haven't find anything even close to the vt3 EQ especially.

I still use McDSP Filterbank, really hated it when they changed the GUI and got rid of the phase button and other things. But for me it's still the best 'meat and potatoes' EQ.

Last edited by doorknocker; 4 weeks ago at 12:58 PM..
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Everything by Tokyo Dawn Labs.
Disto and Verbtone by Sknote Audio.
ValhallaDSP.
Soundtoys Microshift, Surreal Machines Diffuse, Acon Multiply.
Klanghelm everything.

But i’m good at testing plugins deeply before getting it.
Old 16th April 2019
bx digital v3 and dyneq v2
soundtoys suite
ozone 8 advanced (not the rest of the music production suite, however)
fxpansion geist 2
cytomic the glue
d16 toraverb, fazortan and decimort (not syntorus, redoptor or devastor)
acme opticom
etc
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Cytomic The Glue +1, there's not a mix without it.
NI Passive EQ (Manley?)
One of the Waves Rennaisance compressors, can't remember the name.
Plugin Alliance Bassdude, whenever there's a DI bass track, or guitar

I'd say AD Dubstation, too. Maybe. I used it for years on almost every mix but not once in 2018/19.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Maniac

This is actually a really hard question. Mainly because there are many plugins I don't use regularly but still grab on occasion. I think the biggest upset for me would have to be the Air EQ. On paper it seems so promising but to me it tends to sound strange and take too much fine tuning to get how I like it. It's impossible for me to not hear it in a bad way I think.

It's hard for me to make a list of plugins that made it past the honeymoon phase without sounding like I'm just making a top 10 list of plugin companies.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
This is actually a really hard question. Mainly because there are many plugins I don't use regularly but still grab on occasion. I think the biggest upset for me would have to be the Air EQ. On paper it seems so promising but to me it tends to sound strange and take too much fine tuning to get how I like it. It's impossible for me to not hear it in a bad way I think.

It's hard for me to make a list of plugins that made it past the honeymoon phase without sounding like I'm just making a top 10 list of plugin companies.
Funny thing is that top 10 seems to be different for everyone
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Softubes Summit TLA100
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Klanghelm VUMT
Bx_console E
Acustica Pink
UAD 1176 and LA2A
Fuse VCL4

These are the ones that I still like as the first day I tried them. True love.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Funny thing is that top 10 seems to be different for everyone
Very true but honestly I think most people have more plugins that lasted past the honeymoon phase than ones that didn't. For example, FabFilter would be an obvious choice. So obvious that just saying it feels like cheating. Perhaps a list of unexpected plugins that have stuck around is what feels like a more useful answer to me. I just think that as is this thread will basically turn into a "go-to" plugin list because anything we use at all must have passed the honeymoon phase. Just trying to keep the conversation interesting that's all.

So...

Using my above terms...

W.A productions sphere delay (so flexible and easy to use)

Soundspot overtone (impossible to mess up is an understatement)

Audiothing minibit (if you want lo-fi look no further)

Voxengo stereo touch (adds width and space easily and always cancels in mono)

Unfiltered audio dent 2 (if it used less CPU it would be my go-to distortion)

Valhalla SpaceModulator (this currently has my vote for the best free plugin ever made)

Now that feels much better than if I were to have said...

FabFilter
DMG
Klanghelm
TDR
Valhalla
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Ones I use all the time and recommend highly to others:
Tokyo Dawn Nova and Slick
Klanghelm MJUC, SDRR and DC8C
U-HE Satin
Waves Abbey Road Plates, REDD and TG Mastering
PSP E27, 2445, FET
Audiothing Fog Convolver, Outer Space
Black Rooster VPRE-73
Boz Gatey Watey, Mongoose
Venn Free Clip

and still in honeymoon phase but probably a stayer is Fuse VQP 258.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

I've got one that didn't even make it to the Honeymoon phase. The Slate edition of THU. It not only looks like ****. It sounds like ten pounds of it. Glad I purchased S gear.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear
For me the ones that seem to end up on practically everything I use is iZotope Neutron (there are a ton of EQs out there that are awesome but the UI is very intuitive to me and the masking feature is a godsend), Valhalla reverbs, and the T-Racks Stealth Limiter.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Nut

U-He and ValhallaDSP and Izotope are the only ones I keep using consistently after years.

I don't use any of the NI stuff anymore except Kontakt because of the libraries I've bought.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
In no particular order and foregoing instruments (as this is its own thing):

These are on many of my productions in different styles.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Scheps Omni Channel
TDR Nova
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ample Guitars
Valhalla Vintage Verb
Voxengo Oldskool Verb
Lounge Lizard
izotope Vocal Doubler
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pier25 View Post
U-He and ValhallaDSP and Izotope are the only ones I keep using consistently after years.

I don't use any of the NI stuff anymore except Kontakt because of the libraries I've bought.
It’s amazing to me to see so many people who love the izotope products. I’ve always really disliked their sonic quality. Despite having then ozone 8 bundle I never use it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've had a frenzy of plugin purchases in the last year, and these are the real keepers:

bx_console SSL 4000 E- love it, and every mix is now based on it.

I use Neutron Elements a lot for fixing problems with resonances, etc. I use the learn function to find horrible resonances on each track quickly (taking care to watch the placement of the EQ nodes whilst it learns, since most of them will just follow the fundamentals and dominant harmonics of the notes). The ones that stay put even when the others move are the ones I then focus on for removing. Quite often now I use Neutron Elements to find these, then use the bx console to do the EQing. Or I might just use elements, then use the bx console EQ for tonal shaping.

Smart EQ 2 gets used a lot to clean things up. Sometimes it does stupid things if you use your ears and not your eyes, but often it is really good at cleaning up the high mids of tracks (all of my Eleven Rack guitars have that classic mushy fizziness, and Smart EQ 2 helps a lot).

The Hornet VU meter with its autogain feature gets used first on every track.

Softube tape is all over everything too.

bx townhouse is brilliant, and again I use it on every mix buss now. I prefer it to the Waves SSL G comp that I previously had, but I suspect I'd probably fail to distinguish them in a blind test!

Ozone 8: well I quite like it. I use the matching EQ for guitar tones, and I often stick it on late in a mix and mix into it for a bit to get an idea of the final product (which I assume will be mastered elsewhere). I also use the assistant with a suitable reference track to suggest a ballpark master, and I use the EQ curve to tell me if I have any major mix issues. If the curve looks weird, I've done something wrong. Recently, I was mixing with regular referencing to a particular track, and when I followed this procedure I got no suggested corrections which felt like a win.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
I've had a frenzy of plugin purchases in the last year, and these are the real keepers:

bx_console SSL 4000 E- love it, and every mix is now based on it.

I use Neutron Elements a lot for fixing problems with resonances, etc. I use the learn function to find horrible resonances on each track quickly (taking care to watch the placement of the EQ nodes whilst it learns, since most of them will just follow the fundamentals and dominant harmonics of the notes). The ones that stay put even when the others move are the ones I then focus on for removing. Quite often now I use Neutron Elements to find these, then use the bx console to do the EQing. Or I might just use elements, then use the bx console EQ for tonal shaping.

Smart EQ 2 gets used a lot to clean things up. Sometimes it does stupid things if you use your ears and not your eyes, but often it is really good at cleaning up the high mids of tracks (all of my Eleven Rack guitars have that classic mushy fizziness, and Smart EQ 2 helps a lot).

The Hornet VU meter with its autogain feature gets used first on every track.

Softube tape is all over everything too.

bx townhouse is brilliant, and again I use it on every mix buss now. I prefer it to the Waves SSL G comp that I previously had, but I suspect I'd probably fail to distinguish them in a blind test!

Ozone 8: well I quite like it. I use the matching EQ for guitar tones, and I often stick it on late in a mix and mix into it for a bit to get an idea of the final product (which I assume will be mastered elsewhere). I also use the assistant with a suitable reference track to suggest a ballpark master, and I use the EQ curve to tell me if I have any major mix issues. If the curve looks weird, I've done something wrong. Recently, I was mixing with regular referencing to a particular track, and when I followed this procedure I got no suggested corrections which felt like a win.
I love townhouse too, do you use it other places outside the bus?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Black Rooster VPre - 73
Airwindows Spiral
Soothe
Kazrog K-Clip
GullFoss
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The first one that comes to mind is the UAD Distressor, it replaced many other compressor favourites of mine and it hasn’t changed since.

It’s much easier for me to list plugins that didn’t survive the honeymoon period, as the fast majority of my plugins I think are awesome so I would end up listing pretty much everything I have from UA, Fabfilter, Soundtoys, Relab, Acon Digital, Cytomic, DMG Audio and more.

I’m not going to list plugins which I think are bad, that’s not fair, no need to put them in the negative spotlight imho.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

That´s funny...completely the opposite here. I do not really connect with the sound of the companies plugins you mentioned, but use NI Reaktor a lot lately.

To each their own
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
These days, it's more about which plugins I simply forget to use.

I don't have many plugins that have no use, including free ones.
I am considering updating my plugin manager in Cubase to show a list of my rarely used plugins and work only in that folder... to freshen things up.

Quite often, in the middle of a mix, my instinct is to go to what I am accustomed to... the shortest path in my head. But that is likely the way my plugins are organized.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
That´s funny...completely the opposite here. I do not really connect with the sound of the companies plugins you mentioned, but use NI Reaktor a lot lately.

To each their own
I've tried using Reaktor a couple of times but I've never liked the workflow and sound. Not only the modular environment and blocks, but also the pre-made ensembles.

When I want to experiment I go to Zebra and Bazille. I'm also waiting for The Grid in Bitwig which (a priori) makes a lot more sense than Reaktor IMO.

To each their own indeed
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

NeuralDSP Nameless
Slate VMR
Sonnox Supresser
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've tried using Reaktor a couple of times but I've never liked the workflow and sound. Not only the modular environment and blocks, but also the pre-made ensembles.

When I want to experiment I go to Zebra and Bazille. I'm also waiting for The Grid in Bitwig which (a priori) makes a lot more sense than Reaktor IMO.

To each their own indeed
I’ve always loved Reaktor instruments like Monark and Form but never fully explored the effects side. Perhaps something to dig into.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I’ve always loved Reaktor instruments like Monark and Form but never fully explored the effects side. Perhaps something to dig into.
BTW, using it from 1999, when it was named “Generator”.

Though it is cool for making things faster than soldering (and without analog arthefacts), i really do not like its built-in filters and oscillators sound when working on SRs less than 88200...

But yeap, 20 years - i guess it is far longer than any “honeymoon” )
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search