The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors - Worth it 2019? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors - Worth it 2019?

Hello everyone,

Been a lurker in these forums for years, but haven't interacted much. So, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area.

Preface
I'm no stranger to the world of studio, live, and music production. I spent 3 years in school studying it all. I absolutely love creating music. That said, the past few years I've really neglected my creative side and have just been working for others. I've come to a point now that I can't take it any longer. So, I'm investing some money in myself to introduce it back into my life... even if it's just for a hobby.

I've ordered all the parts to build a PC and now I just need to get the instrumentation. I prefer live recordings and can play several instruments, but I'm not in a position to do this right now with my current living situation - which brings me to my question.

Is Komplete 12 Ultimate worth the money in 2019?
I'm really interested in the collector's edition. But, as most of you know it comes with a hefty price tag.

Being as unbiased as possible, do those of you who use it find it worth the price? Are there any alternatives that you know of?

Also, from what I can tell, the end of May every year is when they normally do their big sales. That said, it doesn't seem like the sales are for new customers, but rather those looking to upgrade their packages. Do you find this to be true?

Thank you for your time in reading this. I appreciate any feedback!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They do different types of sales. Some will be for upgrades, some will be discounts on the whole Komplete package bought new, some will be for a big discount on Komplete when bundled with hardware of some kind.

There's no real way of knowing which precise sales will come when, but the general rule is that eventually you will be able to buy the current version of Komplete for close to half price.

And then you will be able to upgrade that version of Komplete for half price in 2-3 years (or upgrade to each new version as it comes, but that's rarely worth it).

They have annual Summer of Sound promotions around May / June / July, so wait and see what comes.

Personally, I've never felt the need to go for the Ultimate packages, especially now that they're padding it out with kits and loops - I just stick with the standard Komplete bundle.

I went Komplete 2 (2004) -> Komplete 6 (2010) -> Komplete 10 (2015). Leaving big gaps and waiting for upgrade sales means that each time I got a huge amount of new content and software for a very reasonable outlay.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would agree with the above post. Especially about padding it out with samples and loops.

IMO, NI has shifted focus from their peak innovative zenith about 10 years ago to more products for the masses.

To this day, Battery 4 has features left out compared to Battery 3.

NI has a great liberal upgrade policy as shown by the above thread. There is no reason to start huge unless ultimate has something you know you will miss in komplete. You can always upgrade down the road, but then your subsequent upgrades are going to be much more than the non-ultimate complete upgrade.

Also since you mentioned live instrument tracking, I would budget or at least be aware of UAD Unison technology.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If u use maschine then the colle tors edition is a good deal because u get most of there expansions but if your not interested in maschine then it depends on what u want too make.

Also it could be better if u haven't got any ni products too not jump straight in with the top tier product just buy one of the other komplete bundles.

I started years ago with buying kore 2 that then allowed me too buy komplete 8 at a discounted price.. I then upgraded too komplete ultimate when that was on sale then I got the new komplete collectors edition for about £400 but for me it was worth it I use maschine 2 and I wanted kontakt 6 and massive x
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I just upgraded from Komplete 8 ultimate to 12 ultimate and I think it was worth it for Reaktor 6, blocks and all their new effects plugins. Looking forward to Massive X btw.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethem View Post
I just upgraded from Komplete 8 ultimate to 12 ultimate and I think it was worth it for Reaktor 6, blocks and all their new effects plugins. Looking forward to Massive X btw.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reaktor 6 blocks is included in Komplete ( as well as ultimate)

Last edited by greggybud; 1 week ago at 04:36 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thank you

Thank you all for your input.

The reason I was looking at the collectors is because I'm interested in a wide variety of different genres... Pop, rock, EDM, tribal, etc... as well as being interested in composition and scoring.

It seems that the collector's addition would give the most versatility for the least amount of money... in the long run that is.

I'm not really into the idea of starting small and upgrading in the future just because I would end up spending a lot more.

Maybe my logic is wrong... I don't know.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Personally I don't think it's worth the cost, but it might be different in your case. I feel like you get a ton of stuff, but you end up using a small percentage of that.

I started with Komplete 4 and have been upgrading it because the deals were too good to pass, but these days the only product I use is Kontakt because of the libraries I've bought.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyleesharp View Post
I'm not really into the idea of starting small and upgrading in the future just because I would end up spending a lot more.
How would you end up spending a lot more?

The NI upgrades are very liberal.

Buying out right, non-sale for Komplete is $600 and for Ultimate $1200. But there are ways to get to Komplete and Ultimate without paying those prices. First of all wait for their annual sale. Secondly, buy a single product...better used, then upgrade/cross grade.

Komplete is not small. Have you looked at the NI comparison charts that show the differences between the two? As said above, I would guess most users end up using just a fraction of tools and samples because there is so much. And Ultimate...so much more.

The reason I stay with Komplete and not Ultimate is because I don't need most of the extra tools in Ultimate. I use a lot of UAD, SoundToys, and Waves. However there are a few single purchase NI items I have added on outside Komplete. The Second reason is that I know I can upgrade for half of what the Ultimate upgrade costs. Once you are on Komplete Ultimate, you can't downgrade to Komplete.

If you are interested in composition scoring for film, commercials, games etc, then you are going to spend a LOT more money outside NI with some specialized 3rd party libraries usually using Kontakt, but generally not a lot more from NI.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reaktor 6 blocks is included in Komplete ( as well as ultimate)
But Komplete 8 didn't come with Reaktor 6, or Blocks.

Im one of those folks that barely uses Komplete's content hehe. For me it was cheaper to buy the whole thing than to upgrade individual old apps I owned that became part of it, along with the new ones I wanted. Ive used Absynth religiously since it was released, as well as Reaktor, and FM7/FM8. Wanted to get Battery along the way and for the price it was cheaper to just get the whole thing. Ultimately I ended up becoming a Kontakt user just because I had it. Same with Massive. Guess it helped a little hehe. Still don't use any of the Kontakt libraries, but at least they're there if I get bored making my own patches.

For me, Ultimate would be a no go. Just waaaay too much Im never going to use, even with those rare instances like when I decided to use Kontakt just because it was there. Id be locked into a higher priced upgrade every time too, not sure they let you downgrade.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Komplete 12 ultimate - if you are into trailer/orchestral scoring.
Collectors - adds some loops and presets for hip/hop and EDM
KOMPLETE 12 - totally worth it.
They do sales occasionally.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search