The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d vs. Apollo x8p
Old 9th November 2019
Gear Head

a link with some converters

Here is a link with some converters in 96khz wav quality..which do you prefer?

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws....48kHz24bit.zip
Old 9th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimosz View Post
Here is a link with some converters in 96khz wav quality..which do you prefer?

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws....48kHz24bit.zip
Oooh, this was very informative... thank you for this.

I wasn't a fan of the Apollo x8 (I actually preferred the Scarlett 18i20 in these examples, which was pretty surprising). My favorite was probably the Aurora(n), but this ULN-2 example wasn't far too far behind. I wonder if it was 3D? I know the LIO-8 and ULN-8 converters are better than the ULN-2. I'd expect my 3D LIO-8 to sound similar to what I hear in the Aurora camp here. Pretty open and transparent.
Old 9th November 2019
Gear Head

What about the focusirite red 4 pre? did you like this one?..how would you comapre it with uln 2 3d ..yes its the 3d version
Old 9th November 2019
Lives for gear
Does anyone have an RTL measurement for record monitoring through the MH mixer with 3D card and internal DSP effects? 96kHz would be great - but 44.1 or 48 is helpful.
Old 11th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLarkin View Post
Burl should be doing a 10% off sale for BF if you’re still interested! Either way, I love the sound of my LIO-8. And B80. Can’t lose either way IMHO
Sending back second MH unit, looking at a Mothership with BAD4M to connect via MADI.

We are twinsies

Also, I hate you
Old 25th November 2019
Gear Nut

has anyone had RME and Metric Halo?
I am thinking about upgrading from my RME UFX (mk1) to Meetric Halo LIO-8 3D ..
Wonder if it's worth the hassle. Mostly tracking electronic instruments such as drum machines and synths..
So mic-pros are not an argument for me.. sheer AD but also DA conversion
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Head

I wanted a ULN8 but I need 16 outs for summing and don’t need pres.. any recommendations for something that caliber/ tier/ quality?
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZXXX View Post
I wanted a ULN8 but I need 16 outs for summing and don’t need pres.. any recommendations for something that caliber/ tier/ quality?
Well, then get two ULN8 .. simple as that
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can get 2x MH LIO-8 and link them together with a simple cat5 cable.

Or you can get an Apogee Symphony mk2 (spoiler: I have one in the classifieds for an incredibly low price) and add a second 8x8 card or 16x16 for even more channels. Another nice modular and futureproof option. Very stable and great sounding.

Since the GS classifieds search sucks big time lately..Here it is:

Apogee Electronics Symphony I/O MK II 8x8

Cheu
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
2 LIO-8 if you need AD as well.

If you don't need AD then you should look at 16 channels of Burl DA in their smaller 16 channel chassis.

Next step up from that would be 16 channels of JCF DA... and that is a big step up but very nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieryan View Post
I have both and the ULN-8 3D is a high end level product. The mic preamps are in an entirely different league above the Apollo. The conversion is more musical and less cold/clinical than the Apollo X. Only reason to go Apollo is if you had lots of great outboard gear and for some reason wanted to monitor through UAD plugins. If you just have an Apollo X alone don’t expect it to deliver high end sounding results by itself because of some plugins. If I could go back in time I would have never spent money on UAD because really its just cheap emulations of great analog gear and to me one great piece of analog gear has a quality of tone that is priceless. The mic preamps on the ULN-8 are in the lower boutique range so they can compete directly with great clean preamps costing much more like Grace, Pueblo, NPNG or Millenia. Not quite as good but very close. Additionally they have direct analog outs so you can insert real analog gear before conversion or use other high end converters like JCF AD8 for really great sound. I dunno, the way I see it these days the Apollos just cheaped out on their analog sections especially with their preamps even on the X series. When you compare head to head with great preamps they just don’t cut it and the conversion is just cold and clinical to my ears. I really just use my Apollo as an FX box for guitar and occasionally a live mixer for live shows. I would sell it if I wouldn’t stand to lose so much money on the plugins I bought. Just my opinion.

I agree about the Pres. Don't agree about the conversion. The X (I tested Twin X) is better than MH(PB9 3D LIO/ULN) right now. Maybe on final version it will be on par. MH is good but have to say it, UA is whipping them. X is precise, Controlled and more linear. Imagine the X16. More comments on the net agree.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXBOSS View Post
I agree about the Pres. Don't agree about the conversion. The X (I tested Twin X) is better than MH(PB9 3D LIO/ULN) right now. Maybe on final version it will be on par. MH is good but have to say it, UA is whipping them. X is precise, Controlled and more linear. Imagine the X16. More comments on the net agree.
We’re talking about subtle differences when it comes to high end converters. If you really think UA is ‘whipping’ MH, you should be going into far more details about it instead of making an overhyped blanket statement. How is it more precise, controlled and more linear? Are there measurements available?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
We’re talking about subtle differences when it comes to high end converters. If you really think UA is ‘whipping’ MH, you should be going into far more details about it instead of making an overhyped blanket statement. How is it more precise, controlled and more linear? Are there measurements available?
No we're not. The differences are certainly there. The secret is in the obvious. It's different people who make them. These things are all a certain flavour and so with respect to people's different minds let us accept that converters are different even if by a little.

little? Little of what?

The one thing common at the high level is clarity. Some are more fuller on the notes(Prism, Apollo, Apogee).

The MH is "digital transparency", scientific window of the Mix, little sharp at the top. Specs: Less than Apollo on Dynamic range and THD BTW.

Back to Apollo X

It's more controlled in that it's playing a put together picture that is really sounding like a new Converter chip and build rather than old goodness. I mean if MH released a Lio/ULN MK2 or something... that would be where this game is at...

Apollo X16 Dynamic range on Mon Out : 133db it counts for something.

I'm just being real because I have the experience of both.

There are positives to the MH ofcourse but conversion vs Apollo X is not the same or similar or what was it... subtle.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre. View Post
siddhu, I truly believe Metric Halo is one of those examples of honesty and good ethic. Didn't mean to sound paranoid or even to be moronic... I also heard magical things about MH, and it was mouth-to-mouth, even here in Portugal.

I will order a new one, and forget what happened, but this time directly from the German vendor. Neither spain or portugal have units available.

One thing must be stated though. The videos in their channel are many years old and there are not showcases of new hardware. I believe it would be helpful just to make some A/B comparison or just a semi-professional MH 3D series showcase, like a recording session. I'm already interested in their products but it couldn't hurt, right? There may be other potential buyers that will only ever know about the UA, Apogee, Focusrite, Antelope stuff
I believe the German distributor is the same one Thomann sent my ULN with the DI problem. Just trying to get some closure on this Environmental problem, I truly believe it had nothing to do with it, since everything works perfectly on my ensemble.
- out of topic, for your lazy sunday: Brittany Howard's Jaime is a kickass masterpiece, just a suggestion for anyone reading (just heard it now)
MetricHalo is now posting video of various demos from their booth at NAMM on their instagram account this year. I suggested everyone follow them. I love my ULN8 (with 3D upgrade) by the way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search