The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can You Install Windows XP Software on a Desktop Synthesizers
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Can You Install Windows XP Software on a

Hey Guys, Can You Install Windows XP Software on a vista computer?

I need a new computer but I don't want vista... I want a dual core xp computer.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Generally speaking yeah, sure. Any computer rated for Vista will do very well on XP, and probably much better ... potential driver issues aside.

One caveat is if the computer is a bundled package from the vendor. In that context you could easily have some driver issues. Still, XP drivers will be easier to locate than Vista drivers.
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

So What Drivers will I need to fulfill this?
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageJoe View Post
So What Drivers will I need to fulfill this?
Well, that's the $64K question. The only way to know for sure is to get started and see what 'hardware' complains. Maybe you'll get lucky, and none of your mobo chipsets or peripheral devices are non-standard, and XP will include built in support for everything.

On the other hand, it could turn into a real P.I.T.A., if you run into PCI, IDE, USB, or video driver issues. But hey - that's what makes it a challenge!

Just do your best to organize all of your resources (data backups, OS & driver discs, manuals, Google searches, vendor forum support, AND alternative internet access) before you start, and plan to set aside a day to complete the job. It may take less time, but still ... assuming that nothing goes wrong, you'll still have at least 3 hours of Microsoft updates to install after the base OS. Then there are your apps, profiles, desktop, etc.
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO View Post
Well, that's the $64K question. The only way to know for sure is to get started and see what 'hardware' complains. Maybe you'll get lucky, and none of your mobo chipsets or peripheral devices are non-standard, and XP will include built in support for everything.

On the other hand, it could turn into a real P.I.T.A., if you run into PCI, IDE, USB, or video driver issues. But hey - that's what makes it a challenge!

Just do your best to organize all of your resources (data backups, OS & driver discs, manuals, Google searches, vendor forum support, AND alternative internet access) before you start, and plan to set aside a day to complete the job. It may take less time, but still ... assuming that nothing goes wrong, you'll still have at least 3 hours of Microsoft updates to install after the base OS. Then there are your apps, profiles, desktop, etc.

Ok I hear you on that, I sent u a PM
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Most hardware with Vista drivers, at this point, are going to have XP drivers as well.. unless they are exclusively made to work with said computer that it comes loaded on (for Vista).
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Keep Vista on there, partition the drive and install XP on the 2nd partition.
This will keep Vista there when you are ready to move back/up. I recommend you use a third party boot manager when installing XP after Vista. I've heard people complain bout the MS boot mgr and Vista - don't recall what their complaints were, but why find out for yourself when you can avoid it from the beginning.
Old 23rd May 2007
Some big name vendors are relenting to BIGTIME customer demands and have begun sellng systems with XP on them again -- including Dell who had been towing the MS line until their "customer suggestion" website registered the demand for XP systems as the number two suggestion (number one being Linux boxes, which they'd already announced).

(Dell had always kept XP systems available for corporate customers who demand the continuity and reliability of the established OS. Now they'll be available on some lines for home/small business.)

When my mom decided recently to buy a laptop, I looked around and realized that (at the time) all the major vendors were selling Vista machines -- so I made a point of picking out a refurbished XP Core Duo and got a great deal on it from Dell's refurb store. [As always, the deals and stock there come and go on a a daily AND by-the-minute basis. If you don't see anything good one day, come back the next or the next.]
Old 23rd May 2007
on the new Sony and HP-books, VISTA is like a virus.. a very bad virus...

I tried 5 times to format and reinstall a preinstalled VISTA on a Sony vaio without success..

finally I had XP on this machine, but the keyboard was acting strange (yes, I checked the langugage&region options)

the neat guy from the Sony-helpline, told me, that I have to use Vista, and it's sort of preinstalled feature, and this notebook only works with vista..

wtf..
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

wow all this talk about vista being so bad I might just shoot for a refurbished XP computer...
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Maniac

I've had my computer for a bit over a year now, and recently got vista for it. After running Vista I can't see myself ever going back to XP. There are a lot of things about Vista that have improved my performance for Audio.

I run Samplitude V8 and have no problems running it, or any other software I used in XP.

Vista has amazing memory management for one. and Secondly it's the most inherently multi-threaded program/OS I've ever used. Somehow Samp8, which is in no way multi-threaded gets forced into multithreading somehow in Vista, which increases my performance.

The operating system looks great, allows you to multitask while running heavy sessions and just overall is very impressive.

It does all depend on your system though. I have 2gb of RAM, a PentiumD 930 (which I'll probably be upgrading to C2D soon, because the performance increase is astounding), and a Geforce 7900GT. I would recommend at least a Geforce 7300 graphics card, 2 gb of ram, and a C2D processor, but that's probably about what you'd be getting anyway.

I personally would say ignore most of the Vista bashing. I've never had such a smooth, and actually exciting Windows experience like I'm having with Vista, and I've been using computers since DOS 5
Old 24th May 2007
Quote:
Vista has amazing memory management for one. and Secondly it's the most inherently multi-threaded program/OS I've ever used. Somehow Samp8, which is in no way multi-threaded gets forced into multithreading somehow in Vista, which increases my performance.

The operating system looks great, allows you to multitask while running heavy sessions and just overall is very impressive.
do you have another version of Vista in your country?

I have also no problems with vista in the company I work, but performance is not good... also multithreading doesnt work well (dual core machines).

cheers
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Hey I was searching online and I found a Refurbished Windows XP computer, I think I might buy it instead... I think I want to aviod any bad situations that I'll run in to with the Vista computer, but I feel like I want to take the challenge LOL http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...902&CatId=2648
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteran View Post
I've had my computer for a bit over a year now, and recently got vista for it. After running Vista I can't see myself ever going back to XP. There are a lot of things about Vista that have improved my performance for Audio.

I run Samplitude V8 and have no problems running it, or any other software I used in XP.

It does all depend on your system though. I have 2gb of RAM, a PentiumD 930 (which I'll probably be upgrading to C2D soon, because the performance increase is astounding), and a Geforce 7900GT. I would recommend at least a Geforce 7300 graphics card, 2 gb of ram, and a C2D processor, but that's probably about what you'd be getting anyway.

I personally would say ignore most of the Vista bashing. I've never had such a smooth, and actually exciting Windows experience like I'm having with Vista, and I've been using computers since DOS 5
Hey Matt did you build your PC?
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Building your own can be a wonderful experience. The trick is to take your time, do a reasonable bit of research to determine what components you want to use, research the costs, and then buy as many as you can from one or two reputable vendors (the fewer the better: apart from my local IT supplier ... I like newegg.com, as they have lots of selection & specials, refurbs w/warranty, and good user feedback). When you think you have a short list of appealing components, narrow your search down to specific issues which might affect your intended use - especially regarding the main components (mobo, drive types, video, audio pcb, network pcb).

Then do the same for your operating system & primary applications.

But whatever you do, always use 'best of breed' components. There is no reason to cut corners when DIY'ing it. Everything is better - the build quality, the performance, the support, and the warranty.

One final tip: If you have a flexible project timetable (a few days, as opposed to '4 hours from when I started'), you'll have fun and learn a lot. There's no need to impose your own stressors, as there will probably already be a few built-in along the way ... lying in wait for you. heh

May the force be with you!
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow all this talk about vista being so bad I might just shoot for a refurbished XP computer...
Not sure where you heard Vista was 'so bad' as you say. The one post above that had a problem which might have caused you say to it's so bad. well it sounds like it was a problem with the laptop, not the operating system.
As noted in the posts here, and on the their website; Dell is selling new computers with XP, so is Gateway, Tigerdirect,... you can check the rest yourself
Personally I'd still say to build your own, even if you're not experienced, it's worth getting the experience: there's loads of help online if you get stuck
Old 25th May 2007
Lives for gear

I've heard of Newegg... What Components will I need to Build a computer?
Old 25th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I know whats inside my computer I was just curious to know if there was anything I was missing...

I pretty much know what I want in the computer... Thanks for the link
Old 26th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey Matt did you build your PC?
yeah, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 27th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteran View Post
yeah, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ok Great, Because I'm going down that road instead
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search