The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Favorite Plugins 2019
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
What's a good contender for mix buss EQ in an analog style. I like UAD Massive passive but I am weening myself off UAD these days...
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...-master-eq-432

Just got it free with the group buy along with all the tape machines and the stealth limiter...

Sounds great.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
What's a good contender for mix buss EQ in an analog style. I like UAD Massive passive but I am weening myself off UAD these days...
I’d try some Acoustica Audio stuff. They have a lot of options that model different classic EQs. There are some nice freebies too including a Bax style EQ.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I really like the Chandler Curve Bender with UAD, but I am also feeling a ween off of UAD.

The Waves TG Mastering is similar but does more stuff.

The Elysia MusEQ works well for me also. People complain about this one, but if you spend a few minutes it's not "that hard" to learn.

I've started to have some small successes with the Dangerous BAX EQ, it's a very simple broad curve EQ with filters.

Between all of those you have some nice options.
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I really like the Chandler Curve Bender with UAD, but I am also feeling a ween off of UAD.

The Waves TG Mastering is similar but does more stuff.

The Elysia MusEQ works well for me also. People complain about this one, but if you spend a few minutes it's not "that hard" to learn.

I've started to have some small successes with the Dangerous BAX EQ, it's a very simple broad curve EQ with filters.

Between all of those you have some nice options.
Thanks Monks, much appreciated. I will check those out.
Old 4th September 2019
Kush Audi AR-1 (this thing.....is the best in my lifetime)
Melda MDynamicEQ (has tons of features and everything i'll ever need)
PSP Twin-L (another great dynamics plugin can't go wrong with it)
UAD Lexicon L480 (i just love it)
Relab Sonsing Rev-A (another great reverb for that old type i love, can be very transparent though, great GUI, well thought settings)
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Guru
I'm going to lob a curve ball into the mix eq recommend. Been using the Elevate suite and the eq is very deep..... Only mentioning because on sale.....
Liking Noise Ash eq's and Electra is my mainstay otherwise.....+1 for Dangerous BAX but buy on sale.....
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks Monks, much appreciated. I will check those out.
A few minutes ago Softube just announced a Chandler Curve Bender native plugin.

I'm going to be really looking at that. $199 intro price until Oct. 4.

Expensive, but compared to UAD it might be worth it.
Old 4th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
Another Kazrog fan. Cool =)
So have you tried their KClip 3 (not v2 but v3) plugin?
Another 2uestion: so do you think Leapwing Dynone is better than RJ Studio's SideMinder Mastering Edition?
Never tried the RJ but I can’t believe it would be better than the Leapwing. I can’t praise this enough on the master bus, for mastering or on a vocal chain. Superb.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
Another Kazrog fan. Cool =)
So have you tried their KClip 3 (not v2 but v3) plugin?
Another 2uestion: so do you think Leapwing Dynone is better than RJ Studio's SideMinder Mastering Edition?
i think you mix up DynOne with StageOne.

DynOne is a Multiband Comp

i never used RJ´s but StageOne is really great and on every mix from me.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

sideminder is pretty great imo. i only have the CM version but it's definitely competitive
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear
Sonsig 'verb

I just got the Relab Sonsig Reverb. It's definitely going to get a lot of use. Some unique algorithms, and very nice sound.
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

That Softube Curve Bender plug is pretty cool at first take.

Last edited by John Moran; 11th September 2019 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: felt like it
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Addict

Stock Reaper and Logic plugins just work. Their UIs can be terrible but the stuff is good.
Overloud Tape Desk and some of their amps sims. Airwindows can be fun too.
VladG and TDR Plugins. Molot is still amazing stuff. Sigma mode is like a better 33609.
BLOCKFISH replaced 1176 for me years ago on drums and still works.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just spent a little time with the Softube Chandler and Equilibrium side by side on a rockabilly track I mastered the other day. I used the Chandler on that track so I knew what I was after and I liked what it did for the track. It was on the output to the analog process loop. There is also a real benefit to "switched" settings because you make your choice and move on quickly. It's a good work ergonomic.

Equilibrium with a series of 4 of the type 88 Eq modules in FIR, Analog and 65K or greater settings does a real good job of giving the same sort of color and low end heft of the Chandler. That puts me on the fence as to whether I want the Chandler or not. I like the Chandler plug, no question. But, I can also store a preset of Equilibrium to match that tone and it didn't very long to create it so this is going to take a bit more sorting out. Currently working on a female vox folk / acoustic album and that will be the next Chandler/Equilibrium testing ground when I get time to play again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
bump
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Has Noise Ash Rule Tec Heritage Pro been mentioned yet? Best pultec plugin I have ever used. $49 when on sale.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Airwindows. Mindblowing. Don't be deceived by the lack of UI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Has Noise Ash Rule Tec Heritage Pro been mentioned yet? Best pultec plugin I have ever used. $49 when on sale.
This one weirds me out. Everyone seems to love it, I found it nasty.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
This one weirds me out. Everyone seems to love it, I found it nasty.
Interesting....
Compared to what?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Interesting....
Compared to what?
Most other Pultec plugs I have tried. Found the tops hard and cold and the bottom ok, but not world changing. Seems everyone else hears this one differently. I got all excited when reading the hype thread and all disappointed when demoing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Found the tops hard and cold
Think the same, but i find the bottom very good and closer to the original.

Best,
Daniel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most other Pultec plugs I have tried. Found the tops hard and cold and the bottom ok, but not world changing. Seems everyone else hears this one differently. I got all excited when reading the hype thread and all disappointed when demoing.
Of all the pultecs released itb I've tried noise ash is closest to my hardware. When I first got it me and about 5 people were in the studio and we did she blind tests and regular listening tests and all are this thing is so damn close is scary. Maybe you just are not a fan of the pultecs sound. Hitting wrong with that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

everyone is perfeclty entitled to his/her own opinion/perpection.

i am totally floored with noiseashs pultec. will use it for sculpting the sounds and then using fabfilter for cuts and correcting.+

happy camper.

when the mix sucks, its me, not the gear. Freedom! great times.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1313 View Post
What are your favorites?

I'd love to get used to using the plugs, but there's so many and what turns me off big time is the "non-geek-compatibility" of the plugin descriptions;

Nothing wrong with good ol' coder jargon but I'd love to get the idea and functionality within the first few sentences. Now you have to read a diary from the past year and try to find out what the plugin is all about. Sigh. Some Occam's Razor or layman's logic needs to be applied into a product.

P.S. : And the demosongs...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah who would care about a UI regarding software

PS Airwindows is a company, not a plugin. And go to their web site only if you're a masochist. That was enough to get a quick no thanks from me.

I am giving Rob Papen plugins a workout, I'm not a big synth drum guy but his "Punch" is as good as any I've heard.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Yeah who would care about a UI regarding software
Most of the plugins have less than 8 knobs, so it's not a big deal at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
And go to their web site only if you're a masochist. That was enough to get a quick no thanks from me.
Honestly, that was kind of my take the first time I looked at them. The second time, I said "fine," and I downloaded the suite. I was hooked by the sound. It's crazy good.

His plugins are free, so there's that. I do support his Patreon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderpills View Post
What are your favorites?

I'd love to get used to using the plugs, but there's so many and what turns me off big time is the "non-geek-compatibility" of the plugin descriptions;

Nothing wrong with good ol' coder jargon but I'd love to get the idea and functionality within the first few sentences. Now you have to read a diary from the past year and try to find out what the plugin is all about. Sigh. Some Occam's Razor or layman's logic needs to be applied into a product.
It's funny you say that. Just yesterday, I was complaining about that in the thread for his new plugin, Channel7. I basically said there needs to be some clear, basic documentation so that people know exactly what the knobs do, the context, and any overlaps, without having to trawl around the internet and watch videos. With that said, it is worth it.

Try throwing IronOxide5 (juicy tape saturation) on some drums. Or try using Smooth to tame some highs. Or Spiral2 for some smooth saturation. BassDrive (overdrive) is madness. His compressors are good too. ButterComp2 is super smooth, like a LA2A. Var Mu is good. Logical is his SSL compressor. I like using his Channel7 plugin for console saturation. BlockParty is like Soundtoys Devil Loc. I throw Interstage on everything. There are no controls on Interstage. It's just like running your audio through some magic hardware. The video on that one is impressive. ToneSlant is a mastering grade ultra-smooth thing for taming highs. BitGlitter is incredible. It's like I own a SP1200 now. SingleEndedTriode is cool. It seemingly lets you add Class A component sound to your audio. Nuts. Monitoring is a plugin which includes a bunch of his other stuff. With a couple knob turns, you can solo the peaks, mids, sides, subs, and then it also has some wild algorithms called "Cans" for adjusting the sound in your headphones to make them more like monitors and reducing ear fatigue. StudioTan is a ditering plugin, which AFAICT, includes all his good dithers. It lives on my master bus, with it's default setting, which AFAICT, is his best dither.

After I downloaded the set, the first thing I did was go through the whole set and delete all the old versions and some of the stuff I don't care about. He keeps distributing the old ones in case people still want them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Most of the plugins have less than 8 knobs, so it's not a big deal at all.

Honestly, that was kind of my take the first time I looked at them. The second time, I said "fine," and I downloaded the suite. I was hooked by the sound. It's crazy good.

His plugins are free, so there's that. I do support his Patreon though.

It's funny you say that. Just yesterday, I was complaining about that in the thread for his new plugin, Channel7. I basically said there needs to be some clear, basic documentation so that people know exactly what the knobs do, the context, and any overlaps, without having to trawl around the internet and watch videos. With that said, it is worth it.

Try throwing IronOxide5 (juicy tape saturation) on some drums. Or try using Smooth to tame some highs. Or Spiral2 for some smooth saturation. BassDrive (overdrive) is madness. His compressors are good too. ButterComp2 is super smooth, like a LA2A. Var Mu is good. Logical is his SSL compressor. I like using his Channel7 plugin for console saturation. BlockParty is like Soundtoys Devil Loc. I throw Interstage on everything. There are no controls on Interstage. It's just like running your audio through some magic hardware. The video on that one is impressive. ToneSlant is a mastering grade ultra-smooth thing for taming highs. BitGlitter is incredible. It's like I own a SP1200 now. SingleEndedTriode is cool. It seemingly lets you add Class A component sound to your audio. Nuts. Monitoring is a plugin which includes a bunch of his other stuff. With a couple knob turns, you can solo the peaks, mids, sides, subs, and then it also has some wild algorithms called "Cans" for adjusting the sound in your headphones to make them more like monitors and reducing ear fatigue. StudioTan is a ditering plugin, which AFAICT, includes all his good dithers. It lives on my master bus, with it's default setting, which AFAICT, is his best dither.

After I downloaded the set, the first thing I did was go through the whole set and delete all the old versions and some of the stuff I don't care about. He keeps distributing the old ones in case people still want them.
:

Whoa, sounds like a lot of useful tools there. Thanks for the tips, gotta check them out. Honestly, I do mixing almost every day and so I've been looking for some new tools to spice things up a bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Guy is a mad genius and among the truly great tools being made. You could just use his stuff and be done with it......
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I recommend the Cockos ReaPlug pacakge in the same vein. Simple, free plugins with ugly GUI's that work pretty darn well.

And the mkjb Luftikus EQ is pretty amazing and free, it's a better Maag EQ4 IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
In my opinion, a good pultec is a little hard and shiny on the top.

But I'm not an expert and the only "real" one I've owned is the EQPKT

bass impact is not optional, that thing needs to slam, and the Noise Ash apparently got it right down there
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search