The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AVB asio drivers - when?
Old 23rd February 2019
Gear Nut
AVB asio drivers - when?

The title says it all. Now that two of the best audio interface manufacturers are embracing AVB (MOTU, RME), when will there be a speedy Windows-implementation? Will there be a pci-card?
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Hah! Surely you jest.

AVB or TSN, or whatever the heck they are calling it these days needs to be incorporated at the hardware level. I.e. every switch and network interface card has to be built specifically with the AVB capability included, at an extra cost to the manufacturer. The older Apple laptops, the ones that included an Ethernet port (what was that? like 2012-ish?) included AVB functionality on their onboard NICs, and you coudl plug your Apple laptop in to a switch that was AVB capable and go to town. But, now that Apple has eschewed ethernet ports because they add too much bulk to their wafer thin laptops, I'm not sure if they are capable of that any more.

AVB won't ever be like Dante, where you can have a software emulation of the protocol. Manufacturers may end up making specific AVB drivers for ethernet ports to connect, but there won't ever be a universal AVB Virtual Soundcard because there's no one to make it. The AVNU Alliance is just a specifications committee. They don't actually manufacture anything or write code for it.

Plus, the AVB spec isn't actually done and ratified yet, after nearly a decade of monkeying around with it. That's why Audinate and Dante have been so successful, because they just went out and implemented an easy and cost effective audio networking protocol. And now the Dante world outnumbers the AVB world by like 50 times the number of products.
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

dupe

Last edited by JCBigler; 23rd February 2019 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: dupe
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Back around 2013 when Echo Audio ditched their Firewire audio interface line, their AVB Streamware was touted as the big replacement....but nothing seems to have come of it, apart from these (now old) announcements:
Streamware NIC-1 | Echo Digital Audio
Echo announces their Streamware products and AVB control software at I | Echo Digital Audio

I don't believe these good intentions amount to much significant market presence today : Echo Audio

Last edited by studer58; 23rd February 2019 at 03:34 PM..
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunetiger View Post
The title says it all. Now that two of the best audio interface manufacturers are embracing AVB (MOTU, RME), when will there be a speedy Windows-implementation? Will there be a pci-card?
Both MOTU and RME naturally has ASIO drivers for Windows.
In case of MOTU, they have AVB interfaces with TB and USB with respectable latency performance for several years.
RME recently started to offer two USB-3 interfaces from Digiface range with AVB support, according to performance of their other USB devices, I would be afraid about performance (eg. I will be "speedy" enough) compared to some software endpoints, on top of that, you'll get also hardware mixing, routing and low latency monitoring with TotalMix control.
So that's likely the current way to go with regards to interface AVB devices on Windows.

Hard to say, whether someone will enter to market with some new PCIe card, Echo Audio makes a one for quite a long time, however I've never seen any of their Streamware AVB devices, also they doesn't seem to be so active recently (compared to coverage, they had, when they made their previous standard audio interfaces), so it's questionable, whether they really intend to sell that to pro audio market (according to their website, it looks like they are more focused to automotive or some automated testing). As I've mentioned MOTU, they have a TB interfaces, which basically muxes PCIe lanes to external box.

Other thing is, and this is true at previous post, number of available AVB devices is pretty small compared to what you find for Dante. RME seems to be just third relevant major player (after MOTU and Presonus), who seems to be using AVB.. there are some other ones, but not so significant for studio and recording.
However in most cases those mentioned vendors implemented AVB primarily for their networked peripherals.
Of course, there are relevant standards and namely AVDECC (IEEE 1722.1), which should cover interoperability among different vendors (common control, discovery, enumeration.. connection of streams), so if that's properly implemented and devices could match rates and per-stream channel count, it should be possible to mix and match device vendors.
However currently you'll be likely hard pressed to find either public vendor compatibility reports with 3rd parties or some independent public testing (for example by lager audio retailers), which would confirm full interoperability.
That's arguably one of main benefit of Dante, developed under Audinate (who takes care about management software, software and hardware endpoints.. and licensing).

Michal
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Hah! Surely you jest.

AVB won't ever be like Dante, where you can have a software emulation of the protocol. Manufacturers may end up making specific AVB drivers for ethernet ports to connect, but there won't ever be a universal AVB Virtual Soundcard because there's no one to make it.
AudioScience has actually had this for a while now.

http://www.audioscience.com/internet...no_avb_vsc.htm
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Or run a linux box with wine+wineasio on it and use the Linux AVB driver ( https://github.com/Drumfix/avb4linux ) with an i210 network card.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search