The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FabFilter (or another?) Bundle Dynamics Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

FabFilter (or another?) Bundle

Hi there,

I´m currently thinking about "professionalizing" my mixing/mastering/Daw-work...

Mostly I´m a live musician (jazz-pianist/compositor). Besides of that I´m doing a lot of arranging stuff, and once in a while some demorecording and mixing. Seldomly I´m into filmmusic stuff...
Until now I mostly used Cubase-intern plugins and some freebie-stuff (as the free version of TB Barricade e.g.). Bought the NI Ultimate Komplete 8 some years ago.

Now I´d like to invert some money in good sounding plugins who could serve as a swiss army knife.
A lot of people recommended all the FabFilter plugins. I´ve only tried their EQ and it felt great using it.

So my question:
1.) Which bundle would you recommend? I definitely don´t need any synth. Mostly heard about the Pro L / Q / C who seem to be among the top software in their fields?!
Some mention the R (Reverb), others the MB or Saturn...
Of course it´s always best to buy the total bundle... but money is money. So would the Pro bundle do the job?? Or "better" the FX bundle that covers Saturn as well? ... in fact the Mixing bundle seems fine but doesn´t cover neither the L nor the MB plugin.

2.) ... or would you even say something like "FabFilter is good, but in your case you should consider xxxxxx" ??

Thanks in advance!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fabfilter is great. I bought their "Mastering Bundle" in 2014 and I still use it. They have newer versions of most of the plugs but still support the original versions. They have been super reliable and have always sounded great. I just installed the plugs on a new PC build today. Eventually I'll take advantage of their generous upgrade path offers and move to the newer versions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Based on your post I am obligated to tell you that you need to test these before you go and spend $600-$1000 on plugins. You seem to be only considering other people's opinion so far but FabFilter has the best demo policy in the entire industry in my opinion. 30 days completely free and if you write them after the 30 days they will likely extend your trials if you need. Up to 60 days is plenty of time for you to decide if these are right for you. I will say this... if you can't get professional mixes with all the FabFilter plugins then the problem isn't the plugins. However, I could say that about most stock plugins. Since this is the case it's all about workflow and preference.

As far as which ones to buy first..

This question is harder to answer than I expected. If I had to choose one company it would probably be FabFilter. Mainly because you can trust the quality and the workflow is consistent. They also sound great but these days there are many companies that meet that specification. This question is difficult because in my opinion the most important fabfilter bundle is the mastering bundle. Everything else depends on entirely what kind of music you do and your preference. Pro-R is beautiful but not as versatile as it appears. Pro-G is probably the best wideband gate ever made but in modern DAW's gates are typically faster but hand editing offers better results. Saturn is amazing but better suited for creative use than mix saturation. Pro-DS is incredible but can be replaced by Pro-MB in every situation if you are willing to soemd time setting it up.

My advice for buying plugins... download the demo and use it in a real mix. By the time the mix is done you will either hate it, love it, or have questions. This goes for any manufacturer. If you have questions then get them answered and you will hopefully either hate it or love it and your decision is made. If you end up like me and many others owning hundreds of plugins you will then have to start budgeting based on audio tools but hopefully that doesn't happen.

This is all just my opinion and I absolutely love FabFilter but I can't tell you they are right for you without being biased so anyone that tells you to buy them without first testing them is either more worried about the tools than the music or assumes their preference to apply to everyone else.

Anyway, I hope this combonation of opinion, philosophy, and accounting advice is helpful. Feel free to ask if I can answer anything.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Also, keep in mind that they offer discounts once you own some of their products and these discounts will be similar to buying the bundles so don't feel obligated to buy them all at once. I also recommend checking out Valhalla dsp for reverb, delay, and modulation as this is where I think FabFilter is probably lacking the most.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatzemann View Post
2.) ... or would you even say something like "FabFilter is good, but in your case you should consider xxxxxx" ??
Something like that. Do yourself a favor and don't fall into the all-too-common trap of assuming you should get something because it's pricey or because it's got some high-and-mighty rep. You said money is a consideration (as it is or should be for most), so do yourself a favor and as the poster above said, don't go blowing crazy amounts of money when it's utterly unnecessary. I have not used Fabfilter stuff and while I'm happy to concede it's great stuff, there is a lot of great stuff out there for much less $..in fact a lot of great stuff for FREE. At the very least try some of those along with the Fabfilter demos and see for yourself. Some off the top I'd recommend (you can search the net on the topic and get ideas as well):

Voxengo's Oldskool reverb (and their free stuff in general)
OrilRiver reverb
TDR's Nova EQ
izotope's Vocal Doubler
MeldaProduction's Bundle (actually you could probably just get this and be set)

Also really good plugins often come with DAWs and are often overlooked; don't make that mistake either.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks a lot for all your hints.

I forgot to mention that I suppose to get and EDU-reduction from FabFilter. As I teach a lot (and am able to proove that) I´ll try at least. So e.g. the Pro-Bundle (including nearly all of above mentioned tools) would cost around 300,-€.

OF COURSE I totally share your opinion; and for that reason I worked mostly with free and Daw-intern stuff until now.
But I´m also conscious about the fact that sometimes you need to get "inspired" a little bit by others. And perhaps I still have to learn what to expect from a plugin, and how it can sound ... so exploring the possibilities of those plugins, who (probably) are beyond the Daw stock-plugins.
And for some reason a lot of users don´t stay with the Daw stock-plugins, don´t they?

But that´s the reason why I opened this threat. ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I would get Pro Q3, Pro MB, Pro L2 and Pro DS. Pro G could be handy in some situations but as one of the previous posters said, you can edit instead.

For saturation, wide band comp, and reverb and delays, there are other options out there. You could check out plugin alliance, soundtoys, valhalladsp, klanghelm and waves, even native instruments, to pick and choose what suits you best.

I find that Fabfilter's innovation in features is amazing, but sometimes the interface and capabilities can be slightly over complex for situations when you might just want to turn a couple of knobs to get the sound you want.

Last edited by nambams; 3 weeks ago at 02:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago
I'm a HUGE fan of the FabFilter stuff. That and Slate are my go-tos and surprise...by the same guy. Fabrice Gabriel is a master of his craft.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
I'm a HUGE fan of the FabFilter stuff. That and Slate are my go-tos and surprise...by the same guy. Fabrice Gabriel is a master of his craft.
Wait... are you saying Fabrice worked on the FabFilter plugins? Feel free to prove me wrong because I would love to know that Fabrice was a part of this as I am a huge supporter of both him and FabFilter but I'm certain this is incorrect. They have a great about us section of their website that lists the founders and has a photo but also doesn't mention Fabrice at all. I also haven't managed to find anything through Google to back this up. Sorry I'm not trying to be rude or anything just trying to help.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fabrice Gabriel has nothing to do with FabFilter... His plugin company is eiosis: Eiosis - Advanced Audio Plugins - Designed by Fabrice Gabriel - Eiosis

Back on topic. The FabFilter plugins/bundles are great

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search