The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
2nd Ryzen for music production?
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Maniac

2nd Ryzen for music production?

Hi everyone,

My friend ask me to build a very affordable PC for music production.
I'm going to build a Ryzen 2400G (or maybe he can stretch a little bit for 2600/2600x) because of it's iGPU and then we can upgrade later.

But I read here and there that Ryzen has issue with low latency/realtime performance. So I create this topic to have some more info about that.

In the end, could we go AMD route?

Thanks!!!
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Left View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm going to build a Ryzen 2400G (or maybe he can stretch a little bit for 2600/2600x) because of it's iGPU and then we can upgrade later.

But I read here and there that Ryzen has issue with low latency/realtime performance. So I create this topic to have some more info about that.

Thanks!!!
I just built a 2700X DAW for my home hobby studio and it has been excellent so far. I also read quite a bit about Ryzen and the latency/real time vs Intel when I was deciding on parts for my build, but I have not noticed any issues with latency or dropouts whatsoever. Often the benchmark comparisons appear to be significant, but real world difference between A and B are not always going to be noticeable in a hobby studio like I have.

I run Cubase 10 Pro and typically keep my projects at 48K and run at a 256 buffer size while tracking. I'm able to run 7-10 instances of guitar VST's (Helix Native, TH3, etc) in a project without freezing tracks while also having 8 or 9 instances of Kontakt plus Superior Drummer 3 and other goodies going.

I realize that may not be much by today's standards, but I rarely go beyond 40 tracks in my projects and don't have experience pushing my DAW any harder.

All I can say is from my experience, it is a great platform for DAW and I am pleased with the results.
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB1965 View Post
I just built a 2700X DAW for my home hobby studio and it has been excellent so far. I also read quite a bit about Ryzen and the latency/real time vs Intel when I was deciding on parts for my build, but I have not noticed any issues with latency or dropouts whatsoever. Often the benchmark comparisons appear to be significant, but real world difference between A and B are not always going to be noticeable in a hobby studio like I have.

I run Cubase 10 Pro and typically keep my projects at 48K and run at a 256 buffer size while tracking. I'm able to run 7-10 instances of guitar VST's (Helix Native, TH3, etc) in a project without freezing tracks while also having 8 or 9 instances of Kontakt plus Superior Drummer 3 and other goodies going.

I realize that may not be much by today's standards, but I rarely go beyond 40 tracks in my projects and don't have experience pushing my DAW any harder.

All I can say is from my experience, it is a great platform for DAW and I am pleased with the results.
Thanks for your sharing.

Could you please let me know which motherboard and ram are you using?
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Thanks for your sharing.

Could you please let me know which motherboard and ram are you using?
Absolutely!

ASUS TUF B450 Gaming MATX Mobo
Corsair Vengance DDR4/3000 32GB - CMR32GX4M2D3000C16 RAM

I'm running in a Corsair 280X case with 4 Corsair 120MM fans and stock AMD Prism cooler. Very quiet machine and since I don't overclock, stays nice and cool.
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB1965 View Post
Absolutely!

ASUS TUF B450 Gaming MATX Mobo
Corsair Vengance DDR4/3000 32GB - CMR32GX4M2D3000C16 RAM

I'm running in a Corsair 280X case with 4 Corsair 120MM fans and stock AMD Prism cooler. Very quiet machine and since I don't overclock, stays nice and cool.
Very helpful! Thanks for your details.

This would be my starting point.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Very helpful! Thanks for your details.

This would be my starting point.
Not sure about the AMD CPU fan but I wen't with Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 which is nearly silent at a reasonable cost. Here is a review of the top 6 CPU fans.

Best CPU Cooler: 6 air coolers reviewed for heat and noise | Trusted Reviews
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Not sure about the AMD CPU fan but I wen't with Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 which is nearly silent at a reasonable cost. Here is a review of the top 6 CPU fans.

Best CPU Cooler: 6 air coolers reviewed for heat and noise | Trusted Reviews
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

Depending on what AMD cpu you get I'd just start with the included cooler, and if it's an issue get a 3rd party one. My stock cooler has done perfectly well for me on my 1700. OC to 3700 was fine, all cores. Not particularly loud and it ran smooth.
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Sure, AMD is viable for music production, but with the caveat that it fails to match Intel for low latency performance. People who want to use realtime VSTis or monitoring effects will find that machines with AMD CPUs glitch-out and crackle before their Intel competitors. Also, note that most consumer Intel CPUs have on-board video which is more than sufficient for DAW purposes. AMD shines in multicore performance where realtime processing is not required, like for rendering video or other CPU tasks which are not time critical.

AMD's Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X CPUs reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 7
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Sure, AMD is viable for music production, but with the caveat that it fails to match Intel for low latency performance. People who want to use realtime VSTis or monitoring effects will find that machines with AMD CPUs glitch-out and crackle before their Intel competitors. Also, note that most consumer Intel CPUs have on-board video which is more than sufficient for DAW purposes. AMD shines in multicore performance where realtime processing is not required, like for rendering video or other CPU tasks which are not time critical.

AMD's Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X CPUs reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 7
Yeah, I know this inferior in term of low latency. But my friend is on a really tight budget, so we can just go with AMD R5 2600/2600x or Intel i5 8400 only.

In this case, at first, I lean more on AMD because in the end, it has some more threads and a little margin in OC possibility (maybe 4.1Ghz...).
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Addict

I don't recommend overclocking DAW computers because the timing is too critical and can lead to instability. The built in drive controllers on both platforms are junk. The only reason why it seems the intel chip works better is the timing for the sata driver is optimized for intel hardware. But in both cases, any form of raid is going to have its own performance hit because it uses a software and part of the cpu to run the controller. The bus is shared with the other accessories, so there is the hardware bottleneck.

In all cases, a drive controller card is about a 30% performance increase.

If you need lots of drive i/o because of high sampling rate, I use a sas card in non raid mode which is 400% faster than the SATA drives with DAW applications.
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I don't recommend overclocking DAW computers because the timing is too critical and can lead to instability. The built in drive controllers on both platforms are junk. The only reason why it seems the intel chip works better is the timing for the sata driver is optimized for intel hardware. But in both cases, any form of raid is going to have its own performance hit because it uses a software and part of the cpu to run the controller. The bus is shared with the other accessories, so there is the hardware bottleneck.

In all cases, a drive controller card is about a 30% performance increase.

If you need lots of drive i/o because of high sampling rate, I use a sas card in non raid mode which is 400% faster than the SATA drives with DAW applications.
I honestly don't think any of the above makes much sense in context of this thread.

What do you base the above on?
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Maybe it make sense to get a low end Ryzen 2 now and upgrade to a Ryzen 3 CPU when they are released in July. Ryzen 3 should be backwards compatible.
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

If that's the plan then even a ryzen gen 1 might be appropriate, if it's cheaper.
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

If that's the plan then even a ryzen gen 1 might be appropriate, if it's cheaper
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Maniac

We build with Ryzen all the time and they're great, but gotta be built right. YMMV
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Maniac

I've got 2600x + Aorus Pro B450. It's quite a great build until now. We're still testing our build to see how it handles modern music production.

Thanks all for your comments.
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've got 2600x + Aorus Pro B450. It's quite a great build until now. We're still testing our build to see how it handles modern music production.

Thanks all for your comments.
Hey! After these days, how worked that build?? I have in mind the R5 2400G. How many instances can you work with? What vsts? Thanksss!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi, just wondering where are we with Ryzen 7 mobile chips for music production.

I am looking at somethings that has a Ryzen 7 2700u chip, 16rb RAM and a SSD.

I will be using mostly as a mobile station with Cubase 10 pro and Maschine and bunch of VSTs. Are there still issues with real time effects and latency on the mobile Ryzen chips?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a ryzen 5 2600 rig with Asus nighthawk mobo and 32 gigs of ram and it ut still has serious lag and crackling it crashes with really complex Vst usage I went through three different USB 3.0 AND USB C preamp before I realized that it is the CPUs poor performance on real time computations. Went back to my Intel i5 rig and such a great difference and the i5 is 4th gen to boot I'll be steering clear of any and for DAW until they fox this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looking forward to reading more of your posts..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free43 View Post
I have a ryzen 5 2600 rig with Asus nighthawk mobo and 32 gigs of ram and it ut still has serious lag and crackling it crashes with really complex Vst usage I went through three different USB 3.0 AND USB C preamp before I realized that it is the CPUs poor performance on real time computations. Went back to my Intel i5 rig and such a great difference and the i5 is 4th gen to boot I'll be steering clear of any and for DAW until they fox this.
Sounds like a poorly-configured system. Never had that issue with Ryzen when we build with it.

YMMV
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search