The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Mini USB problems Monitor Controllers
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Mac Mini USB problems

I will try to briefly summarise a problem that's been ongoing for a couple of weeks;

Mac Mini late 2012, i7, 16GB on High Sierra and using both Logic and Ableton.
In use with UAD apollo thunderbolt, and a host of external USB peripherals including 5 storage drives, a CD/DVD drive, two MIDI keyboards, a Moog S37 synth, Ableton Push 2, a memory card reader, and one or two others I can't recall. All via two 10-way USB3 powered hubs.

All the above working perfectly fine without a hitch for a year or so.

I'm now getting problems with various of the above often not making the USB connection on boot up or switch on. Even swapping cables around and plugging things stright into the back of the Mac doesn't always solve it (although occasionally it does). The various disk drives never seem to have problems, it's things like the Push and the Moog which are giving me headaches with not connecting.

Thinking back, a couple of weeks ago I plugged one of those portable mobile phone charging devices into one of the hubs, in order to charge it up. The problems seem to have started ever since then.

My question is; is this the sort of thing that an SMC Reset and/or PRAM/NVRAM reset might solve? Is there a possibility that charging the phone charger may have caused some sort of hardware damage to the USB circuitry of the Mac?
(Note: since this happened I have replaced the 10-way hub in question with a brand new one, and it has made no difference).
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I can't imagine that charging your phone would cause any damage. I've charged my phone many of times through my 7 port USB3 hub with no problems.

If you haven't already. Do a First Aid check on your main OS drive via Disk Utility and then restart and see if that fixes anything. Afterwards, doing a SMC reset as well as a NVRAM can't hurt either, so definitely try them two methods afterwards if First Aid doesn't solve it.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Hop Mop View Post
I can't imagine that charging your phone would cause any damage. I've charged my phone many of times through my 7 port USB3 hub with no problems.

If you haven't already. Do a First Aid check on your main OS drive via Disk Utility and then restart and see if that fixes anything. Afterwards, doing a SMC reset as well as a NVRAM can't hurt either, so definitely try them two methods afterwards if First Aid doesn't solve it.
Yes I've charged phones many times. This wasn't actually a phone though, it was one of those portable chargers which you keep in your pocket to charge the phone when out and about. I only mention it because the problem didn't exist prior to charging it up.

Will try to fix it at the weekend. Thanks for your help, am fairly new to Mac and this is the first problem I've encountered.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search