The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motu 16A?? Audio Interfaces
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Motu 16A??

How is the Motu 16A holding up these days? Anything comparable in the same price range? I’m looking to potentially upgrade my modest focusrite saffire pro 40 and octopre and go with a 500 series rack. One of the things I wasn’t sure about was the 1/4” inputs and outputs on the motu. It slightly turned me off because of the idea of buying a lot of 1/4” to xlr adapaters, but not even sure that really matters? Does that affect impedance at all? Thoughts on any of this? Any contenders in the same price range?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I have one and I love it. No frills, really top-shelf conversion and no built-in pres and other crap that I don’t need or want to inflate the price. There is no sonic difference between TRS and XLR. TRS lets them keep it down to 1U size, which I appreciate.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I did the same upgrade from a Saffire 40 to the Motu 16a and I couldn't be happier. I didn't want to pay for a lot of stuff I don't need, like pres etc.
I am absolutely happy with my purchase!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

If you could use thunderbolt port I would recommend 16a. I had REALLY bad experience with USB connection though (support tech couldn't find solution and suggested using thunderbolt.).
But otherwise, it's really fine product.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihi DDL View Post
I did the same upgrade from a Saffire 40 to the Motu 16a and I couldn't be happier. I didn't want to pay for a lot of stuff I don't need, like pres etc.
I am absolutely happy with my purchase!
Nice! Did you hear a difference in sound with the upgrade? I’ll be using the saffire pres until I get outboard pres.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I have one and I love it. No frills, really top-shelf conversion and no built-in pres and other crap that I don’t need or want to inflate the price. There is no sonic difference between TRS and XLR. TRS lets them keep it down to 1U size, which I appreciate.
Cool! Thank you for the heads up! If I’m not mistaken, you can use the onboard eq and compression and record to tape like that too, no?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojei View Post
If you could use thunderbolt port I would recommend 16a. I had REALLY bad experience with USB connection though (support tech couldn't find solution and suggested using thunderbolt.).
But otherwise, it's really fine product.
Thunderbolt is the plan for sure! However, I may switch to PC up the road from mac. I think PC’s are doing thunderbolt now too, no?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Anything comparable in the same price range?
I'd be interested in a comparison between the 16a and the new Presonus Quantum 4848.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool! Thank you for the heads up! If I’m not mistaken, you can use the onboard eq and compression and record to tape like that too, no?
Possibly. I wouldn’t know, because I’ve never done it and I’m not interested. I got the 16A in tandem with slowly acquiring outboard preamps and later compressors and EQs for my front end. I only use plugins for mixing.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrowe View Post
I'd be interested in a comparison between the 16a and the new Presonus Quantum 4848.
You’ve got me pondering this too! My only concern was that it had no dedicated outs for monitoring, but as far as I know, neither does the motu. My concern about both of these units too is that I’d like the option to leave my axe fx patched in without needing to open a daw to hear what I’m doing. Anyone know if this feasible?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Nice! Did you hear a difference in sound with the upgrade? I’ll be using the saffire pres until I get outboard pres.
Definitely! The sound is much clearer and less "harsh".
I still use my Saffire pres for drum recording, since I only got 4 Channels of outboard (Dakings) and they sound much better with the Motu conversion (but not even close to the Dakings ;-) )

The routing is really cool and flexible, once you get used to the interface.

So I can definitely recommend it.. Hope that helps a bit!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
thanks to everyone that has commented in this thread, I also have a Saffire 40 and have been considering the 16A for the converter upgrade when I am ready - hopefully before the end of the year.

For any Saffire users out there - if you added any additional channels through ADAT, what did you use? Seems like the Presonus Digimax and Behringer ADA8000 are popular choices. I have a few days of full band sessions coming up in a few weeks and need to get some additional channels.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihi DDL View Post
Definitely! The sound is much clearer and less "harsh".
I still use my Saffire pres for drum recording, since I only got 4 Channels of outboard (Dakings) and they sound much better with the Motu conversion (but not even close to the Dakings ;-) )

The routing is really cool and flexible, once you get used to the interface.

So I can definitely recommend it.. Hope that helps a bit!
Nice! Can this play my computer audio easily, and do you know if I can have my axe fx patched in so I can play along with youtube or spotify without having to open a DAW?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search