The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I just copy all VST plugins .dll files to new PC ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Can I just copy all VST plugins .dll files to new PC ?

Built new PC, will do a clean install because old computer has too much junk like conflicting drivers and also has been infected with virus last year (virus was from super audio converter).

Can I just copy all VST plugins .dll files to new PC and re-authorize them ?
Or do I have to go thru the long and painful way of reinstalling one by one ?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Built new PC, will do a clean install because old computer has too much junk like conflicting drivers and also has been infected with virus last year (virus was from super audio converter).

Can I just copy all VST plugins .dll files to new PC and re-authorize them ?
Or do I have to go thru the long and painful way of reinstalling one by one ?
For many (if not all) of the free plug-ins you have, you may get away with just copying the .DLL (or .VST3) files to corresponding folders in the new computer. Unfortunately, for most of your paid ones, you'll almost certainly have to re-install them, as they also create Registry entries and/or put other supporting files in other folders on the drive.

Steve
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

sucks..

Thanks for the answer
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
sucks..

Thanks for the answer
Yeah, you win some, you lose some.

It probably won't take you as long as you think, and bundles of plug-ins (such as those from Waves, NI, IKMM or others) usually install all at once, and fairly quickly.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

you may need to move the program data folders to C:/ProgramData and some of the foders to the user documents. i've done with good success
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
i was in same situation like you and fresh installed everything. its gonna take a day but imagine a more beautiful sunday then having your coffee and installing new stuff, organized as it should on your new workstation
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Did recently just that.. took me a full day just to reinstall everything. I wish it was just a matter of putting dlls...
Long live your new computer!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

wish there was a way to move directory and other hidden files that are part of plugins..

but that would probably move all the un-needed junk as well.

this is where Mac OS wins, but eh dont wanna spend 4x $$ for a mac.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I'd strongly suggest reinstalling everything - you *will* save yourself time in the long run.

I suppose this depends on how many plugins you have that need authorizing, and how they're licensed. I have...I don't know, let's say around 80. I really truly don't know, but it probably isn't too far away from that number in one direction or the other. The last time I tried to do this I copied/pasted some and reinstalled some, and a week later I was kicking myself for not just reinstalling everything. If you don't like periodically wasting 15-30mins every now and then trying to chase something down in the middle of a session for the next month and a half, I'd suggest reinstalling everything.

But if you only have a handful of plugins, or a lot but mostly from the same company, it really might be fine - I wouldn't know.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
yeah really, its not a big work as you think it is. trust me
Old 4 days ago
Story of my business life...nothing beats fresh installs on new systems. DO it right from the beginning, plan ahead, take the time, put on some good music and a nice drink nearby. Do a bit of testing. When all is fine, save a backup image on an external drive. Then rock n lol.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Last time I had to do fresh install of everything, took me almost a week, few hours each day,
and than few more after loading previous projects and seeing missing plugins or incorrect version of plugin etc,

That’s why I’m terrified of reinstalling everything haha
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Last time I had to do fresh install of everything, took me almost a week, few hours each day,
and than few more after loading previous projects and seeing missing plugins or incorrect version of plugin etc,

Nobody looks forward to it. But on the bright side it's once every 6-7 years so it's not that bad. There is a simple version though. If your moving to the same chipset and only install Reaper and all your plugs authorizations are on a USB dongle or freebies you could get away with reinstalling a back up image with Acronis or Macrium Reflect or similar. And you'd be done in 20 minutes or so. But the problems come with challenge/response copy protection based on Machine ID/Mac address and that exists for Mac users as well.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You might consider having/using fewer plugins. I mean wow - I have a lot and I could reinstall all of them in probably an hour or two total if not less. A few hours every day for a week? Yikes
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

...Because I was a hoarder of free plugins and synths.

But I bit the bullet and went with windows 10, now have my fingers crossed that my old old instrument plugins like sound burst Ethnosphere, steinberg virtual guitarist v1 and v2 and few other old ones will all work.

I guess this is a good time to go thru all the plugins and reinstall only the ones I really used.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I think most of us are plugin hoarders to some degree or other. I need to do some housecleaning myself but waiting till I get a new laptop
Old 19 hours ago
Quote:
...Because I was a hoarder of free plugins and synths.
You are worthy of the title "True Gear Slut". Well done.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search