The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica Audio - Mono plugin versions please - reduce CPU by 50% Audio Interfaces
Old 6 days ago
Acustica Audio - Mono plugin versions please - reduce CPU by 50%

Thinking about the CPU issues related to Acustica's Audio's plugins, as most of the mixing chain very likely uses mono channels, could Acustica Audio kindly implement mono versions of all their plugins like Waves has done, and save us 50% of CPU.

This is so simple, I wonder why it has not been done already!!.

I cannot imagine any significant difficulty with creating mono versions of all their plugins, from a software development perspective.

This tweak in the product approach, is a much simpler assured optimisation, than the years of effort put into making their plugins more efficient.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Do you know for sure mono versions would reduce cpu by 50% with Acustica's tech?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Do you know for sure mono versions would reduce cpu by 50% with Acustica's tech?
My suggestion is a logical one, based on experience with software like those from Waves which are almost always delivered in at least 8 VST versions on Windows, 4 mono versions and 4 stereo versions

1. VST2 - 32 bit mono
2. VST2 - 32 bit stereo
3. VST2 - 64 bit mono
4. VST2 - 64 bit stereo
5. VST3 - 32 bit mono
6. VST3 - 32 bit stereo
7. VST3 - 64 bit mono
8. VST3 - 64 bit stereo

The only exceptions to this with Waves, are plugins which are intended only for stereo busses or intended for surround.

My Waves goto EQ - Q10. uses up twice the CPU in the stereo version. I triple checked this myself.

Sure if some Acustica plugins are intended for the stereo bus, my suggestion does not apply, but most of their plugins and the Nebula engine deal with audio as mono channels, which could yield a 50% reduction in CPU.

The devices which they sampled are mono or dual mono. The only exceptions I can think of are compressors which ideally should also have mono capability, and when operating in stereo, one should have a choice of dual mono compression, i.e channels are completely independent in compression, or the internal or external sidechain - sums up both channels as input to the compression engine applying the same compression to both channels of a stereo track.

Further to my thinking of this as a possibility, I ran into a post on this page (link below) provides one of the most lucid clarifications, of how this works in Reaper. Better you read it, rather than me attempt to explain it all over again.

How to Get Reaper 64 bit to See VST3 Plugins? - Cockos Incorporated Forums
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search