The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much did you spend on plugins? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How much did you spend on plugins?

question in the title...
I'm currently on about 4400€
Old 1 week ago
I feel embarrassed as I only use freebies that I find online or ones that come with a DAW. I think I have bought one Reason Refill and also one vst drum instrument so I've spent less than $100AU on plugins since I started recording all digital in 2008. I also have picked up a few freebies from Waves and Eventide during promos over the years and still have the licenses.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

maybe like $500 over the last 23 years
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I mean....

Komplete Ultimate
Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, Keyscape
All MusicLab guitars
IK Multimedia bundle
AAS bundle
Nexus
Europa

than for processing... Soundtoys bundle, several Slate plugs, a couple Softube

It's easy to get into the thousands quick. And I mostly bought sales.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Around $500., best guess. Been using them since 1999. I've bought McDsp Filterbank, Oxford EQ (didn't bother to buy the upgrade), Fabfilter ProL, Valhalla Room, and a few of the Massey things.

The times I wish I had plugins I don't have are mainly when I'm mixing a project I didn't track, which is hardly ever. Damage-control tools.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ugh, when I first got into plugins...it was a lot. I’m sure if I added it up I’d be horrified especially because I hardly touch those plugins anymore now that I’m a synthslut. I’m sure if I had all that plugin money back I could probably nab at least a Quantum
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hah...more than I should have. And way more than I told my wife about (It's easier to spend money on plugins than hardware, guns or instruments, since she never sees you walk in with them ). Let's see...

Waves Mercury, SSL 4000 Bundle, Abbey Road Collection, Metric Halo Production Bundle, iZotope RX5/6, Ozone, Trash, Eventide Ultra Channel, Ultra Reverb, Precision Time Align, Stereo 2016, SP2016, Plug and Mix VIP Bundle, Exponential Audio Phoenix, Nimbus, R2, R4 and Stratus, SSL Bus Compressor and Drumstrip, Sound Toys Echo Boy, annual subscriptions to Slate Everything Bundle and the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle (though, now that I have PT Ultimate it's included).

And I have a bunch of the free collections too: Blue Cat free collection, Melda Production, HOFA, Tokyo Dawn Labs, Plugin Alliance, Flux, and Sound Toys.

Plugins that came with interfaces or software: Focusrite Red 2/3, Softube Time and Tone Bundle, Air Effects and Instruments.

In my defense though, I have bought pretty much everything when it was on sale, or as upgrades from other plugins when they were on sale. Probably saved at least 50% of the total price. I'm probably in for a good $5 grand-ish over the last 5 1/2 years since I got back into recording.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

zero - i'm mixing on a digital desk and use (digital) outboard...

...and turn to a friend if i ever need to use a highly spezialized tool such as cedar.

(costs on hardware: north of 100k)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I guestimate around £1200 over the years, and I barely even use software these days....won't be buying anymore unless it's a sick plugin that's heavily discounted.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Well now I don't feel so bad. I've resisted (mostly) buying plugins for a long time, just a couple here and there, and then from November last year I went a little nuts. But I top out at around €1100. And the temptation to buy more is now greatly reduced, resisted several sales in the last month - I've reached the point where I know I don't need, e.g., another compressor or reverb. If I can't do it with what I have then I'm doing it wrong. There are a few plugins I still want that do something I don't already have but I'm waiting until they're on major specials (except a couple I know never go on sale but are already well priced, I just don't need them immediately.)

Almost everything I have bought was heavily discounted. Though I am fairly sure certain retailers price high and then put out regular specials to hook people into thinking it's a better deal than it is.

Edit: also everything I have spent was from money specifically saved for "spend it on whatever, waste it, burn it, it's there for your pleasure." Which helps in not regretting my purchases. As does the fact that in all but a couple of cases I thoroughly enjoy using them and find they each bring a little something to my music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
A lot less now JCBigler is going to pay me in Bitcoin to not tell his wife how he's been cheating on her w/plugins....... Acct# 348965........
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

if I paid full price for all mine it would be close to 9k

Thanks to waves and plugin alliance for their sales I've saved quite a bit.

It's about 10% of the cost if it were hardware... and then it could only be used on channel
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One Million Dollars ..... ok, Too Much !!! think the DAE Era, TDM PLugins were not Cheap ... i needed to buy Digitranslator 3 times ... at 500.00 Each Time !!! Masterlist 500.00 .. Ummmm - 29.00 Waves PLugins - a No Brainer !!! i played alot more for the Gold Bundle 20 years ago than it does now !!!

i am very particular as to what PLugins I buy Now !! Quality vs Quanity .. like Beer or Women !!! Things that are Unique and give a different texture ... and some cool channel strips to emulate a console ... fun stuff to inspire !!!
Old 1 week ago
I don't want to know and I'm not prepared to go there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’ve never added it up, but it’s probably the cost of one or two high-end hardware units. I got all on UAD plugins back when they actually used to issue coupons every month and had nice sale prices as well. I upgraded my Waves Gold bundle to Diamond during a crazy good upgrade sale. I have probably paid zero dollars for maybe 1/3 of my 46 plugin alliance plugins by being patient and not rushing to use the coupons. The rest of them I’ve paid very little for. The Kush subscription is so cheap it’s a no-brainer. So is the Avid complete bundle. And Soundtoys 5 during a black friday sale is a must-have. Considering the amount of plugins I have I think the balue is unbeatable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I relied on free stuff for a long time before jumping on the $200 Waves Gold bundle. That and SD2 plus some expansions. So prob about $500 total.

Still use a bunch of free Amp Sims for guitar. bias, guitar rig, blue cat. Lots of great free stuff out there still.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
I wanna see Jeezo weigh in here. That guy has everything........ Cool reviews also.......
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Probably $2000 over the years. And as a sad reflection, I probably use 1/4 of them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Demo to death. Add to a wish list. Keep an eye on prices. Buy only on sale.

Of course, this is GS, and rules are meant to be broken....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildschwein View Post
I feel embarrassed as I only use freebies that I find online or ones that come with a DAW. I think I have bought one Reason Refill and also one vst drum instrument so I've spent less than $100AU on plugins since I started recording all digital in 2008. I also have picked up a few freebies from Waves and Eventide during promos over the years and still have the licenses.
You're embarrassed about spending your money wisely? Lost me there.

PS in case any sensitives types are building up to a hissy, I'm not saying people shouldn't buy plugins or what amount is right or wrong. But if you're using all or mostly freebies and happy with the results, and aren't stinking rich, I'd be damn proud.

Anyway you almost took the under (as in over/under) prize until you mentioned the $100ish range. I've spent $2. Top that However I'm mostly in rough demo mode so I may bite the bullet on a few things when I go for final cuts, but I still won't go crazy. I see no need to. I've heard/tried enough of the pricey stuff to be only more convinced as time goes on that most are unnecessary and I'd get little extra benefit if any.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
You're embarrassed about spending your money wisely? Lost me there.

PS in case any sensitives types are building up to a hissy, I'm not saying people shouldn't buy plugins or what amount is right or wrong. But if you're using all or mostly freebies and happy with the results, and aren't stinking rich, I'd be damn proud.

Anyway you almost took the under (as in over/under) prize until you mentioned the $100ish range. I've spent $2. Top that However I'm mostly in rough demo mode so I may bite the bullet on a few things when I go for final cuts, but I still won't go crazy. I see no need to. I've heard/tried enough of the pricey stuff to be only more convinced as time goes on that most are unnecessary and I'd get little extra benefit if any.
Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm embarrassed because I know there is a lot of high-end pros here who may have spent a lot of $ on plugs. So, I'm admitting I'm way out of my depth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I wanna see Jeezo weigh in here. That guy has everything........ Cool reviews also.......
I'd like to hear what "has everything" sounds like.
Old 1 week ago
Waves, around 1000 USD, PA, same, like 1000 USD, Soundtoys 5 bundle 250 USD, UAD 1500 USD, that's about it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Including Steinberg - Cubase 7.0, Ableton - Live 9 Suite and ImageLine - FL Studio 11 (Producer Edition) which I don’t use anymore I’ve spent (much purchased on sale) a bit north of 5700 Euro. I always considered myself wise (“a try demo and only buy if really necessary kind of guy”) but this really got me thinking… I should probably get my head checked…

Complete list: Bitwig Studio+upgrade to get v2, D16 Group (SigMund, , Redoptor 2, Toraverb, ToraVerb 2, Punchbox, Drumazon, Nepheton, Nithonat, Phoscyon, LuSH-101), Klanghelm (MJUC), Cytomic (The Glue), Freakshow Industies (Backmask), Valhalla DSP (all plug-ins), iZotope (Nectar 2 Vocal Suite), Cableguys (all plug-ins), FabFilter (all plug-ins + upgrades to L2,Q2,Q3), Spectrasonics (Omnisphere, Trilian), lennarDigital (Sylenth1), Sample Modeling (The Sax Brothers), DS (Thorn), Korg (M1 VST), AAS (Lounge Lizard EP-4), Sugar Bytes (Cyclop, Effectrix), Softube Modular (+some extra modules), Xfer (Cthulhu, Serum), Soundtoys (all plugins in V5)

The only given instant buy is the 159 EUR 1 year upgrade plan to make sure I get Bitwig Studio 3 once it’s released later this year (if my current plan does not cover the upgrade).

/Reik Napalm
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
I don't want to know and I'm not prepared to go there.
The ONLY credit I can give myself is that I have never bought something that wasn't deeply discounted. Like I buy last years version of everything when this years comes out
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm embarrassed because I know there is a lot of high-end pros here who may have spent a lot of $ on plugs. So, I'm admitting I'm way out of my depth.
Still not following; pricey doesn't equate to good and cheap/free doesn't equate to bad, esp where plugins are concerned. If you'd spent a ton on plugins and didn't feel they were very good or you could have bought something comparable for much less, now that might be embarrassing
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Still not following; pricey doesn't equate to good and cheap/free doesn't equate to bad, esp where plugins are concerned. If you'd spent a ton on plugins and didn't feel they were very good or you could have bought something comparable for much less, now that might be embarrassing
Totally agree! Just overly class conscious I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Around $4,000
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally agree! Just overly class conscious I guess.
Let it go smart shopper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Demo to death. Add to a wish list. Keep an eye on prices. Buy only on sale.
Wisdom there. That reminds me I lied I've spent $5 total so far, forgot a few $1 sales at Plugin Boutique, love that place
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
I must say I have several premium plug ins like VSM3, Kush, Clariphonic, Electra, UBK-1, Soundtoys, etc. and don't regret buying them at all. Companies like Sonimus, TDR, Hornet, SKNote and Klanghelm, also make wonderful tools. I probably have spent $1-2K on plug ins and have become very selective about what I buy. I fell into the trap of buying the next cheap and cheerful emulation and am trying to understand what I have better.

I go by the principal that almost everything we have available are tools I would have killed for way back when. It is really easy to be lazy and buy something that is the next miracle emulation to fix perceived problems, that have more to do with bad technique. Free plug ins are truly incredible and you could mix happily using them. At the end of the day it's all about workflow. Everything analogue I've ever bought I can turn around and sell for real money, and there is a lesson there.

I do find that cheap analogue is something that falls into the same trap. Don't like your vocals, buy a new mic!.... There is so much on offer. I really had to ask myself, how many eq's, compressors, or consoles do you need? Discipline is your friend. Obviously if I had real training and a client based studio, there would be a need to cover many bases. Ironically the pros I know are very limited in what they reach out for, and pick their battles based on what saves them time.

Great times indeed!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search