The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What tests to know the best pc for audio? i7 920 D vs i5 haswell 4670k
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

What tests to know the best pc for audio? i7 920 D vs i5 haswell 4670k

Hi,

About 4 years ago my old i7 920 D had a malfunction so I mounted a new pc, a haswell i5 4670k, a few weeks later I discovered that the fault was in the psu corsair 650w tx v2...

... so I bought a new psu for the haswell i5, but tested again the i7 920 D that worked well with the new psu but as I only had one ssd and one 3x4gb kit I continued using the haswell on my home studio pc.

I always had the feeling that my old i7 920 D overclocked to 4.4 was faster than the haswell i5 4670k overclocked to 4.2, but as I only had one ssd and I did not want to have the work of formatting it and having to re-install all my plugins to test what would be the best for my home studio I continued using the Haswell until today.

After 4 years, it's time to format the pc and do a clean installation, I bought 3 new ssd's of 250gb each, one for windows 10 and daw, one for plugins and one for projects and other ableton live folders, the old 180gb ssd that was currently in haswell will be used to put my old i7 working again, I also bought a 700w psu for it.

So... What kinds of tests can I do to find out which is the best pc for my home studio?

Hardware I have to test the two pc's:

. one kit 3x4gb triple channel, ddr3 1600
. one kit 2x8gb dual channel, ddr3 1600
. three ssd's 250gb
. one ssd 180gb
. one gtx 960
. one gtx 560

The two soft synths I use are quite heavy on the cpu, trilian for basslines and u-he diva for drums, usually I have 12 tracks with diva just for drums and I only bounce the drums for audio at the end of the project, I still use two more tracks with diva for leads, but I'll usually bounce for audio every 8 bars...

... if I add another track with diva and make a complex patch the ableton live cpu usage rises from stable 60/70% to random 110/130% and starts cliping.

Will the i7 920 hyperthreading solve this problem?... the ideal for me would be 12 tracks for drums and 3 for leads.
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Maniac

You could just simply use DAWbench. Beyond that, just build your autoload templates with your plugins pre-loaded and see when it cracks.

You're possibly asking a bit much from your config, methinks, considering the plugins you've mentioned, but you should be able to eek out a little more life.

Good luck,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search