The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MacBook Pro. Pops and Clicks Nightmare
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

MacBook Pro. Pops and Clicks Nightmare

Thought like everyone says that Mac is better for audio especially in regards with pops and clicks exactly what I’m experiencing, what an irony.

Was PC DAW user for more than 20 years,
recently decided to try Mac,
before getting tan expensive Mac, got 2012 MacBook Pro.

High Sieera. Mackie Onyx Producer 2ch interface.

pops and clicks apparently happen not just at outputs but also get recorded on input tracks.
I also found on recorded tracks where the pop occurs there’s a break in a waveform (see attached image)

I tried:
aggregate device: built in audio for out and onyx for input,
Just built in audio,
Just mackie onyx,

Is there a way to optimize Mac for audio ?
Or how to fix this annoying pops and clicks ?
Attached Thumbnails
MacBook Pro. Pops and Clicks Nightmare-08227f2b-2540-4c4a-916e-8dcf4b4b61d3.jpg   MacBook Pro. Pops and Clicks Nightmare-11843250-11b2-440e-acf1-e1a26d4bb00e.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Thought like everyone says that Mac is better for audio especially in regards with pops and clicks exactly what I’m experiencing, what an irony.

pops and clicks apparently happen not just at outputs but also get recorded on input tracks.
I also found on recorded tracks where the pop occurs there’s a break in a waveform (see attached image)

I tried:
Just built in audio,
Just mackie onyx,

lots of info but .. what Buffer Size are you trying to work at ????
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
lots of info but .. what Buffer Size are you trying to work at ????
Lots of info but no solution. Tried everything I can think of.

Tried buffer sizes 128, 256, 512 and 1024. No luck
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Crap, i thought you would say 32 or 64 ...

i do not see what DAW you are using ??
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Crap, i thought you would say 32 or 64 ...

i do not see what DAW you are using ??
Cubase 10 and Logic X.
Same problem in both
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear
It is a 2012. You’re looking at a multi core geekbench of circa 6000. The mbp I just got is over 22000. It could be just outdated hardware running too new of an OS. An older OS and version of Logic would possibly work better.

Otherwise reset pram and smc, delete logic preferences plists, etc. probably all in vain.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
It is a 2012. You’re looking at a multi core geekbench of circa 6000. The mbp I just got is over 22000. It could be just outdated hardware running too new of an OS. An older OS and version of Logic would possibly work better.

Otherwise reset pram and smc, delete logic preferences plists, etc. probably all in vain.
Thank you will try.

Also reading around more I find this is a pretty common issue in high Sierra and Mojave and no solution available
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Cubase 10 and Logic X.
Same problem in both
how much RAM /Memory do you have on this 2012 MBP ???
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
how much RAM /Memory do you have on this 2012 MBP ???
just 8GB

But this recording I was working on yesterday,
is just 2 tracks and not a single plugin , it shouldn’t be even 1gb of load on ram
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
just 8GB

But this recording I was working on yesterday,
is just 2 tracks and not a single plugin , it shouldn’t be even 1gb of load on ram
sure, but the program itself needs more memory than ever !! i would look at the Activity Monitor on your Computer and see if you can see what is using up all the Cycles !!
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Addict

My feeling is that you should try downgrading OSX to Sierra or lower. It will take some work to get the install image, and redo you entire installation.

I have several Macs that aren't usable for audio unless I use OSX Mavericks; some people insist the last good OSX was Snow Leopard. I keep 2 SSD partitions to be able to change OSX. A big problem is that the old OS have security holes. I disconnect the internet when running old OS.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

I hope it helps to have a listen and look to this: YouTube
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Nut

I have an Early-2013 quad Retina Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, which shares basically the same hardware specs as the mid-2012. If you've got a non-Retina one, I presume it's related to the hard disk drive. Get a SSD and the clicks will disappear. In my Apogee Element 46 (thunderbolt), I'm not getting clicks even at a buffer size of 32 samples. I'm quite impressed, since it's a Macbook Pro 5 years old. I presume your issue will be solved after upgrading to a SSD capable of using all SATA-III bandwidth (~500MB/s) and 8GB of RAM.
------
P.S.: my Mac has a Geekbench score of ~3500 (single core) and ~12000 (multi core).
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmusician View Post
I have an Early-2013 quad Retina Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, which shares basically the same hardware specs as the mid-2012. If you've got a non-Retina one, I presume it's related to the hard disk drive. Get a SSD and the clicks will disappear. In my Apogee Element 46 (thunderbolt), I'm not getting clicks even at a buffer size of 32 samples. I'm quite impressed, since it's a Macbook Pro 5 years old. I presume your issue will be solved after upgrading to a SSD capable of using all SATA-III bandwidth (~500MB/s) and 8GB of RAM.
------
P.S.: my Mac has a Geekbench score of ~3500 (single core) and ~12000 (multi core).
It’s an SSD already , 2TB OWC aura
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post
My feeling is that you should try downgrading OSX to Sierra or lower. It will take some work to get the install image, and redo you entire installation.

I have several Macs that aren't usable for audio unless I use OSX Mavericks; some people insist the last good OSX was Snow Leopard. I keep 2 SSD partitions to be able to change OSX. A big problem is that the old OS have security holes. I disconnect the internet when running old OS.
Can I downgrade without reinstalling all software one by one ?
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
I hope it helps to have a listen and look to this: YouTube
Thank you but my issue has nothing to with audio buffer
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

that youtube video is from 2015. maybe it isnt as relevant now...?
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear
Try turning off the wi-fi , and Bluetooth separately, easy to do and post outcome if anything changes ?
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Realllly hard to troubleshoot this via text on GS.

It's likely an issue with the Mackie and some core audio weirdness on your Macbook and the version of OS X that you're running, which is not uncommon at this point, being that OS X breaks all kinds of things with each and every release.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Here are screenshots of activity monitor , as you can see CPU load is below 50%
Attached Thumbnails
MacBook Pro. Pops and Clicks Nightmare-d93a09ec-ce7a-4225-8a07-b3ac65a223a1.jpg   MacBook Pro. Pops and Clicks Nightmare-0feb8195-e11c-480f-b335-ea9bf706dbdf.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you but my issue has nothing to with audio buffer
You're welcome. Again, go back to what @ studer58 and the referenced youtube video says: eliminate as many interrupts as possible.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Guru

yeah, Google Chrome running .. hmm .. do the Clicks / Pops still happen if Internet Connection is Turned OFF ???
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Can I downgrade without reinstalling all software one by one ?
I don't know, but probably not. Too many variables. I'm pretty sure you can't even downgrade OSX by running an older installer, and Apple doesn't normally supply OS installers older than 1 or 2 versions back. Thus, you have to be cagey about getting old OSX installers and doing upgrades. The other software may or may not run under older OS, or may install something into the OS that would disappear if you changed the OS. So I would start the whole computer from scratch, like it was new. You might have to find someone with another Mac, and empty hard drive, and a collection of old installers. It can be very complicated, as hardware has changed a lot over the years.

I run older Firewire Mackie Onyx-i mixers and Reaper, so I keep the older Macs. Mackie's Onyx-i drivers are not approved for any Mac OSX newer than 10.10.x, but I tried Sierra (10.12.x) and it's working. But I have other problems with audio and video software not working right or clicking/popping under Sierra, so I can boot with Mavericks (10.10) which has other legacy advantages. I also completely clone my entire system drive before any major upgrade, so if it does not work with my stuff, I can nearly instantly go back. The clone is actually also part of my regular backups. Just remember that old OSX do not get security updates, so are vulnerable.

I would think a 2012 Mac should not have a problem doing 2 track audio. I have no problem with a 2009 iMac recording 48 tracks of 24/48 from a Midas over USB on Reaper, and not even an SSD. IIRC the Mackie Producer needs no special driver on a Mac.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
yeah, Google Chrome running .. hmm .. do the Clicks / Pops still happen if Internet Connection is Turned OFF ???
It's one of the first recommendations routinely made for Windows laptops, so why not try it...you'll be reducing background activity so it can't hurt. Any sort of 'always running' anti-spyware/antivirus....same thing. Your Macbook's packing an Intel processor, right ? Turn off the internal modem temporarily in System /Settings so that it's not continually trying to re-establish a wifi connection, ditto for Bluetooth. If it fails to effect an improvement, at least it's another variable eliminated.

Last edited by studer58; 4th February 2019 at 01:33 AM..
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Maniac

If you can, try the built in soundcard.
The Mackie Onyx is known for making pops and clicks, at least what I have read and heard.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Try some of these OSX tweaks (with appropriate caution as necessary, if you're running a different version of OSX than the one listed....search the site for the relevant one):

Optimization of Mac OS X for Music Production ???????

https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/opti...r-audio-video/

Mac Guide - Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Optimizations and Troubleshooting

Access to this page has been denied. <<<<. If this link fails, go to Sweetwater's OSX Optimization guide

Last edited by studer58; 4th February 2019 at 03:44 AM..
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Try some of these OSX tweaks (with appropriate caution as necessary, if you're running a different version of OSX than the one listed....search the site for the relevant one):

Optimization of Mac OS X for Music Production ???????

https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/opti...r-audio-video/

Mac Guide - Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Optimizations and Troubleshooting

Access to this page has been denied.
Thank you so much will try
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Did pretty much every single possible optimization suggested by you good people and from other online sources.
Also disabled WiFi and Bluetooth and uninstalled malwarebytes.

The big spikes - clicks on recorded waveforms seems to have disappeared, only quiet 1 second crackles get recorded sometimes like every 5 minutes,

But clicks on audio outs happened both with internal and external sound card , clicks are sometimes in left or right or in both channels randomly.

Idk maybe this MacBook is too old for high Sierra , but I don’t have the time right now to spend 2 weeks reinstalling all audio software on fresh install older OS..

I don’t know what else to do,

I’m thinking of getting a new MacBook form the store, reinstall OS and everything form time machine backup and see how the new MBP will behave.
But I don’t wanna be stuck with 2 MacBooks both glitching, especially with super expensive new one
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

I tried:
Just built in audio,
Just mackie onyx,

Thius is sometimes due to unstable current that makes unstable the internal clock of the device, can happen with the mac's playback engine, also can happen with external devices if they are not the best quality, I had this issues with a PreSonus interface. was connected only by usb 3.0 which made the electric support for the device unstable, and generated clicks and pops. also some newer models of MacBook Pro 13 and 15 inch do experience physical clicks and pops due to a misinteraction with the screen, this makes metal expand and contract, causing clicks and pops, audible and reelable through the machine's body.

i apologize for my spelling, I am not native English speaker :D

hope this works or helps ! (apple sucks :D )
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Unexpected Logic popping/crackling fix

Hi

I just came across this thread after troubleshooting a similar popping + crackling issue in Logic Pro X. I had to sign up to Gearslutz just to share my (unexpected) fix.

Quitting out of Google Chrome solved it for me!

A bit of background - I'm running MacOS Mohave on a 2015 Macbook pro (quad core i7 cpu + 16GB ram), and was experiencing frustrating popping + crackling in Logic Pro X whenever playing / recording any VST, even though CPU usage was showing really low. I tried all sorts of audio and buffer settings with no luck.

As a test, I quit out of everything running on my system, re-opening things one by one. To my complete surprise, Google Chrome was the culprit. As soon as I closed Chrome my pops and crackles in Logic disappeared completely. If I re-opened Chrome, they'd come right back.

As another test, I then loaded a bunch of tabs in Firefox, to see if the issue wasn't just specific to Chrome, and the crackling doesn't appear in Logic at all. It's just when I'm running Chrome.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience, in case it might help.

Hope you can solve it, good luck!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search