The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I want to play back with headphones 24bit 192khz audio from my laptop - how?
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

I want to play back with headphones 24bit 192khz audio from my laptop - how?

I have a Dell XPS13 9370. Onboard audio handles up to 24bit 48khz audio. I record all of my audio on a different desktop PC. My projects are at least 24bit 96khz, but potentially 192khz too.

I tend to have quite poor health, so I spend more time than most unable to stand or sit up, which makes using my desktop studio setup difficult at times. I'd like to be able to edit/rough mix my audio projects on the XPS13 using headphones (don't try and school me on how this is wrong, as I said, I am not always capable of getting up to use my studio setup with monitors, but I'd still like to work as much as I can).

I need/want a device that can output ideally 24bit 192khz audio to headphones from USB (XPS13 has Thunderbolt 3 capabilities, would really like to take advantage of that, if possible). I don't need recording inputs or any other audio interface features, and I don't want any EQ features like those on consumer DACs - I just want as flat sounding as possible. Ideally less than $200 (I am Australian, so I need something that can get to me for $200 - sometimes postage from US costs as much as the thing you're buying).

Ideas? Recommendations?
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear
If your not recording you don't need thunderbolt. Besides there isn't anything in you price range that's Thunderbolt anyway. I was going to suggest the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt but it has recently been discontinued but the USB version is still for sale and supported. If that's too high the Focusrite Scarlett range is very good and the Audient ID14 or ID4 are quite good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search