The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite multiband compressor circa 2019?
Old 1st February 2019
Question Favorite multiband compressor circa 2019?

I'm looking for a very nice multiband compressor that can go on the mix bus when needed -- other uses would be nice but that's the primary purpose.

I've demoed the UAD Precision one, not really familiar with anything else.

I have one or two dynamic EQ's so just interested in straight up multiband compression here.

What do y'all like?

EDIT: I used to have MD3 for the Powercore and LOVED it -- but that was years ago!

EDIT 2: looking for a plug-in, not hardware...

Last edited by radiospace; 1st February 2019 at 04:22 AM..
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Nut

I'm a big fan of Fabfilter Pro-MB.
Old 1st February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
I'm a big fan of Fabfilter Pro-MB.
was just visiting their website reading up on that
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear
AA's Pink2 (I don't recall the model, but it's included in the suite), same with Ivory, and TDR Nova
Old 1st February 2019
downloaded the 30 day demo of the FabFilter, really digging it, especially the interface (which is important in a really complex plug-in like this)
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Yeah, Fabfilter's GUI designs are fantastic. The way they can communicate a lot of information at a glance, and also let you choose how many advanced controls, etc that you want to see is great.

It's become indispensable for me - on any mix I do, there's likely gonna be a few instances on MB on there. You can often get much more musical sounds that you would with eq, especially when you start getting into frequency-dependant sidechaining fun!
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

What would make you choose a multiband compressor over a dynamic eq for a particular situation?
Old 2nd February 2019
FabFilter Pro-MB over here!
Old 3rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
Yeah, Fabfilter's GUI designs are fantastic. The way they can communicate a lot of information at a glance, and also let you choose how many advanced controls, etc that you want to see is great.

It's become indispensable for me - on any mix I do, there's likely gonna be a few instances on MB on there. You can often get much more musical sounds that you would with eq, especially when you start getting into frequency-dependant sidechaining fun!
I especially like that the bands don't have to touch.... seems simple and obvious but haven't seen that before.
Old 3rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
What would make you choose a multiband compressor over a dynamic eq for a particular situation?
great question -- I'm just flying by the seat of my pants on that decision --- maybe attack/release times to preserve a punch of low end before the multiband compressor takes it away?
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
Basically:
DEQ is used to tame or boost a certain frequency dynamically.
MC is used to reduce the dynamic range of a frequency range and shape it (attack/release)

DEQ: A band is centered around one frequency and, when used as a bell, that frequency will be more affected than the frequencies surrounding it.
If used as a shelf it comes closer to the highest or lowest band of a MC
MC: will affect the whole range of frequencies of a band equally (although the effect will be less at the crossover frequencies, as two bands overlap there).

DEQ: Typically uses no form of makeup gain as it is used to reduce (or boost) a frequency
MC: Typically uses makeup gain as you generally would want to change the gain of the compressed range after compression.

So generally you could say that you use a DEQ when one or more frequencies are bothering you and you use an MC when the dynamic behaviour of a certain frequency range needs adjusting.

So, say you have a nasty resonance in a certain frequency (and maybe one or more overtones) of an instrument (solo cello for example). You could set up a DEQ to reduce the resonating frequency and it's overtones whenever it occurs and thus bring it in line with the rest.
Or when you have a kick that could use a little more of a frequency, but only shortly after the attack. You could set up a DEQ to boost that frequency shortly.
I typically use a DEQ with a side chain to reduce one or two frequencies in the music a bit whenever a voice over speaks. The result sounds less dramatic than ducking the whole mix while it can help a lot with intelligibility.

When you have a sloppy low end and want to tighten it up a bit, an MC can help. Or if you want to compress a complete mix, but find that the low end for example has been compressed enough you could use an MC to leave the low end and start compressing where you feel it's needed.
You can get very close to a DEQ if you use a narrow band.

Obviously there are many more uses and a lot of uses that cross over. There are occasions where you'd find the less obvious one gives you a better result.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex View Post
Basically:
DEQ is used to tame or boost a certain frequency dynamically.
MC is used to reduce the dynamic range of a frequency range and shape it (attack/release)

DEQ: A band is centered around one frequency and, when used as a bell, that frequency will be more affected than the frequencies surrounding it.
If used as a shelf it comes closer to the highest or lowest band of a MC
MC: will affect the whole range of frequencies of a band equally (although the effect will be less at the crossover frequencies, as two bands overlap there).

DEQ: Typically uses no form of makeup gain as it is used to reduce (or boost) a frequency
MC: Typically uses makeup gain as you generally would want to change the gain of the compressed range after compression.

So generally you could say that you use a DEQ when one or more frequencies are bothering you and you use an MC when the dynamic behaviour of a certain frequency range needs adjusting.

So, say you have a nasty resonance in a certain frequency (and maybe one or more overtones) of an instrument (solo cello for example). You could set up a DEQ to reduce the resonating frequency and it's overtones whenever it occurs and thus bring it in line with the rest.
Or when you have a kick that could use a little more of a frequency, but only shortly after the attack. You could set up a DEQ to boost that frequency shortly.
I typically use a DEQ with a side chain to reduce one or two frequencies in the music a bit whenever a voice over speaks. The result sounds less dramatic than ducking the whole mix while it can help a lot with intelligibility.

When you have a sloppy low end and want to tighten it up a bit, an MC can help. Or if you want to compress a complete mix, but find that the low end for example has been compressed enough you could use an MC to leave the low end and start compressing where you feel it's needed.
You can get very close to a DEQ if you use a narrow band.

Obviously there are many more uses and a lot of uses that cross over. There are occasions where you'd find the less obvious one gives you a better result.
Exactly the kind of detailed response I was hoping for. Thanks for the thorough explanation, it is much appreciated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search