The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best PC Alternatives to UAD Interfaces? 2019
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

Best PC Alternatives to UAD Interfaces? 2019

Hello all,

I'm genuinely curious on your opinions! I will try to keep this short...

So, I'm not sure if it's common knowledge that being able to seamlessly use Universal Audio's interfaces (e.g. the Arrow, Apollo, etc) is quite a challenge for PC users. Basically, if your motherboard isn't thunderbolt 2-3 ready capable, you can't power/data transfer with the interface correctly. Yes, I already know about the PCIE thunderbolt adapters. However, my motherboard in question would still need to have the thunderbolt ready chipset connector pre-integrated, in which it doesn't have. Anyway, rather than buying a completely new motherboard, I was just wondering what my fellow gearslutz opinion would be for a similar interface? Something with a comparable output and pre-amp. Also, in which to work well with a PC. I was originally aiming for the UAD Arrow ($499. I would prefer something more towards $400). Any response would be appreciated! My fellow gearslutz have yet to let me down

Thank you in advance,
Pity

Edit 1: Here is a link to my motherboard's specs for port info etc:
Specification for X370 GAMING PLUS | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global
I am also using a Ryzen 5 1600 processor (3.2GHz, 6 cores and 12 threads) with 32GB DDR4 RAM (2666MT/s) if that matters at all. I'm just asking for advice on AI brands and models that can try to compare with the product line at UAD. All I'm doing with the AI is using one input for recording on a mic. My outputs are to my computer and studio monitors. I currently have a Steinberg UR22MKII AI. I was hoping to at least get an upgrade from that. My computer's fastest port (non-PCIe) is a USB 3.1 (Gen2, Type C). The second best would be a USB 3.1 (Gen2, Type A). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by IPityTheFoo; 30th January 2019 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Specifications
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPityTheFoo View Post
I'm genuinely curious on your opinions! I will try to keep this short...
Pity
Your post does not contain any specific information on which we could give advice you.
You only write about TB connectivity issues.
What do you expect from the interface? how you will use, how many inputs / outputs you need, etc
Although you write that your motherboard does not have TB, but what does it have? USB type A? 2.0? 3.0? type C?
if you just don't understand anything about it and want a AI with a great sound, but dont have any TB option (2or3), so I think there are no competitors to clarett2pre USB ver. (typeC) in this price. there is not so many alternatives.

but you must understand that the connection is not only "the type/option". this is a huge difference in the quality of work with CPUs (interruptions and so on), and TB is a more stable and high-quality option, with lower delays than any USB. also buy PCI adapter not so big problem i think, it just better to use native port but, not must. just read recomendations to adapters model on the site.
But if you work with PC and dont need a mobility so is one best option is buy only PCE-e audio card. extremely low latency and stability ever.
I would even advise to overpay, for example for lynx e22, since the quality will be higher, latency lower and you can use such a card atleast for a 10 years without any problems and "obsoleting"... The PCIe port will not become obsolete soon..
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by remle View Post
Your post does not contain any specific information on which we could give advice you.
You only write about TB connectivity issues.
What do you expect from the interface? how you will use, how many inputs / outputs you need, etc
Although you write that your motherboard does not have TB, but what does it have? USB type A? 2.0? 3.0? type C?
if you just don't understand anything about it and want a AI with a great sound, but dont have any TB option (2or3), so I think there are no competitors to clarett2pre USB ver. (typeC) in this price. there is not so many alternatives.

but you must understand that the connection is not only "the type/option". this is a huge difference in the quality of work with CPUs (interruptions and so on), and TB is a more stable and high-quality option, with lower delays than any USB. also buy PCI adapter not so big problem i think, it just better to use native port but, not must. just read recomendations to adapters model on the site.
But if you work with PC and dont need a mobility so is one best option is buy only PCE-e audio card. extremely low latency and stability ever.
I would even advise to overpay, for example for lynx e22, since the quality will be higher, latency lower and you can use such a card atleast for a 10 years without any problems and "obsoleting"... The PCIe port will not become obsolete soon..
Here is a link to my motherboard's specs for port info etc: Specification for X370 GAMING PLUS | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global
I am also using a Ryzen 5 1600 processor (6 cores 12 threads) with 32GB DDR4 2666MT/s RAM if that matters at all. I'm just asking for advice on brands and models that can compare to the product line at UAD. I'm not necessarily looking for a PCIe audio card. All I'm doing with the AI is having one input for recording vocal audio on a mic. My outputs are to my computer and studio monitors. I currently have a Steinberg UR22MKII interface. I was hoping to at least get an upgrade from that. You think a clarett2pre USB ver. typeC would be my best bet around a $400 price range? I think my fastest port is a USB 3.1 (Gen2, Type C). Second best would be a USB 3.1 (Gen2, Type A). Thanks in advance.
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here is a link to my motherboard's specs
I'm not necessarily looking for a PCIe audio card. All I'm doing with the AI is having one input for recording vocal audio on a mic. My outputs are to my computer and studio monitors. I currently have a Steinberg UR22MKII interface. I was hoping to at least get an upgrade from that.
yes your motherboard have typeC, so you no have any problem with it.
so here not so much choice in this price and as i said, clarett is leader IMO.
AI like this is for mobility dont think if it looks cute is better, PCIe is how it must be and everything else - compromises
but if you dont care anything, just vox rec so i dont see a reason to "upgrade"..
becouse AI is all about latency and drivers stability, for mixing or vox monitoring. you cant get a best mic signal with AI only, if it is your goal you need good preamp, but it not very cheap and better if it be for rack, but rack cost also money even for 1 slot..so it not easy to get it all in 400bucks..
Perhaps the preamps in Clarett will be a bit cleaner.. but not so much that it is critical, and as a whole is far from "full-fledged" preamp (i mean something like ssl vhd500, bae1073 etc), even for the $400.. so i think you dont hear any difference here. no updrade..There are no miracles, unfortunately. and IMO it's not worth it. It is better to think about a full bundle with a normal preamp, if there is not enough sound quality. also no obsoleting for preamps..but Usb, TB etc it live not so long..so dont afraid to buy a good preamp, it forever, your kids will be use it for their albums. lol
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by remle View Post
yes your motherboard have typeC, so you no have any problem with it.
so here not so much choice in this price and as i said, clarett is leader IMO.
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I think you really helped me make my decision!
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I think you really helped me make my decision!
AMD Motherboards are compatible with TB. I heard there was a workaround but I'm not familiar with the details. Unless you need a ton of bandwidth you don't really need anything more than USB 2. The Clarette range is nice on your price range but I would be looking at the USB version. As far as anything save for USB 2.0 with AMD, they pretty much all use the Asmedia chipset which unfortunately cause problems with most audio interfaces. You'll be more than fine with USB 2.0 though.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
AMD Motherboards are compatible with TB.(...)
Its is not official...
Ryzen Threadripper
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search