The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are good USB audio interfaces for listening music? Audio Interfaces
Old 26th January 2019
Here for the gear

What are good USB audio interfaces for listening music?

Hi!

There are a lot of USB audio interfaces out there. They all have good and bad reviews out there. If my intention is to to get high quality sound from my computer to studio monitors, which audio interface would you suggest?

So far I have looked in my price range:
Focusrite scarlet solo; Focusrite Itrack Solo Lightning; Focusrite scarlet - 1) Are they good (output quality wise)? 2) I heard a lot of people are complaining about driver problem and even BSOD on Windows 10 - do these things only happen when recording huge projects or is it normal to happen? One guy reported that these send loud pop to speakers every time computer powers on. Any ideas on that?
Mackie Onyx Artist 1x2 - Anyone know how good this is for listening? Some reviews report that the output is not very good.
Rode AI-1 - seems easy plug and play. But any ideas how is it's sound quality?
Roland RUBIX22 - But out of my price range already but has ground lift that deals with ground loop noise - how likely do I need that? Reported cons was that it has low output volume. Any ideas on that report?
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Nut

If you don’t need the inputs why not get a DAC?
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Didnt know these. Are they as good/better? Could you recommend some specific DACs that are USB powered and that give out good sound?

A quick google search showed me that they are at least as big and as expensive as USB audio interface.

Plus it would still be interesting to hear if someone can comment anything about Focusrite driver problems. Do they still exist and do they affect listening too or do they only become evident with heavy projects?
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear
Choose the card with the rock steady drivers.
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Choose the card with the rock steady drivers.
Quality wise they are equal? So basically I just choose what has the steady drivers and if 2 are equal in that aspect just take which one I like more?

The reason why I asked this here was, I wanted to know if there is like noticable difference between these. Like if I make poor choice, could I get something that has as low quality as built in audio card on motherboard? Or are they are guaranteed to be better?
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveOutProc View Post
Quality wise they are equal? So basically I just choose what has the steady drivers and if 2 are equal in that aspect just take which one I like more?

The reason why I asked this here was, I wanted to know if there is like noticable difference between these. Like if I make poor choice, could I get something that has as low quality as built in audio card on motherboard? Or are they are guaranteed to be better?
For me the differences sound between sound cards are in the use not in the hardware.
bad power supply, bad motherboard can cause noises or hum even with high end laptop or pc. i knew this (high laptop) issue and build a computer with quiet mother board and power supply five years ago.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search