The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
using iPad live Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Question using iPad live

While I own hardware synths I am interested in integrating an iPad into a live setup.

How do I get the sound out of the iPad into my mixer etc? Particularly if I swung for the new USB-C iPad Pro

Advice welcome (hope this is the correct forum for this question)

Thank you
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

If you dont have a Kronos, or somrthing else that acts as interface, youll need one for the iPad. You have to get the midi in and the audio out. I just plug the one USB from the kronos which carries audi and midi....I did buy an adpater that allows it to charge over lightning while connectd.

Thats said, Ive not found much in the way of instruments that beat the Kronos in the iOS marketplace, so my 9nly use it to add noises from EPs from one library to the Kronos’s EP modeling engine. Which is more a studio subtlety than live requirement.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Oh, damn, they killed headphones out on ipads too!
Bastards.
I use old ipads and their headphone outputs, they’re of a pretty high quality, you’ll need a very very good USB class-compliant interface to beat them.

If you need HW MIDI - try something like Roland Duo-capture, it works fine with iPads, so do Tascam 2x2 and RME Babyface. You’ll need an external PSU for interface.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
If you dont have a Kronos, or somrthing else that acts as interface, youll need one for the iPad. You have to get the midi in and the audio out. I just plug the one USB from the kronos which carries audi and midi....I did buy an adpater that allows it to charge over lightning while connectd.

Thats said, Ive not found much in the way of instruments that beat the Kronos in the iOS marketplace, so my 9nly use it to add noises from EPs from one library to the Kronos’s EP modeling engine. Which is more a studio subtlety than live requirement.
I'm using a Yamaha CP4 stage piano and Nord Lead A1. Guess I've plenty of sounds between those but some iPad synths might be useful in addition
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Oh, damn, they killed headphones out on ipads too!
Bastards.
I use old ipads and their headphone outputs, they’re of a pretty high quality, you’ll need a very very good USB class-compliant interface to beat them.

If you need HW MIDI - try something like Roland Duo-capture, it works fine with iPads, so do Tascam 2x2 and RME Babyface. You’ll need an external PSU for interface.
I remember many years ago Apple created their own audio out jack on iMacs. It wasn't long before they had to return them. An odd choice.

My current iPad has the headphone jack.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I remember many years ago Apple created their own audio out jack on iMacs. It wasn't long before they had to return them. An odd choice.

My current iPad has the headphone jack.

Thanks for the advice.
They cut jacks on iPhones since the 7 (I know because I have one and I curse at apple at least once a week for this). They now cut it on iPads, apparently.
I'm sure Tim Cook is a nice guy, but from a professional point of view I want to strangle him.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search