The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient id14 vs RME Babyface pro Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audient id14 vs RME Babyface pro

Hi all, looking to get into the world of audio recording.

Have read incredible things about the Babyface Pro, but obviously it’s significantly more expensive than the id14.

I just need something simple and reliable to record with in my home. No bells and whistles.

Would the Babyface Pro be too much audio interface for me?

Should I save my money and go with the id14?

Anything similar in this price range you’d recommend?

Thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'm in the exact same situation as you and there's something important to consider: if your OS is Windows, it seems RME is unbeatable.

And have you thought about RME PCIe cards? People seem to like it a lot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

For your first interface, Audient would allow you to just record music. With the RME I feel TotalMix would take a solid bit of learning before you get used to it, especially if your completely new to audio interfaces.

Your choice, but I’d say Audient and save your money, RME maybe in a couple years after you’ve got used to recording. They are both great interfaces regardless.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You might also consider the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.
For 270$ you get 2 nice mic preamps, bundled with ProTools first, Ableton Live lite and softube time and tone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

rme supports their interfaces still many years after production, drivers for both platforms are available for download anytime, no registration needed; if totalmix is above your needs/skills, you can disable it (at least in cubendo); many of their interfaces allow to be used together with other rme interfaces (should you ever need to expand), their most sophisticated interfaces have huge channel count and can record on a usb stick without using any pc/daw (or this can be used for redundant recording)...

imo you'll need a very good reason not to go rme!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

i had both. kept the babyface pro and still use it daily. no contest.

the audient sounded good. but the drivers were problematic in my experience and the routing software of the audient is like a toy compared to totalmix. totalmix is pretty easy, too, just way more powerful.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
You might also consider the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.
For 270$ you get 2 nice mic preamps, bundled with ProTools first, Ableton Live lite and softube time and tone.
...unless he doesn't need all those inputs and outputs, in which case it's a waste of money. The 2i2 sounds like it would be plenty, though I personally would opt for the Steinberg UR22. It would help if we knew a budget though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapollo View Post
Your choice, but I’d say Audient and save your money, RME maybe in a couple years after you’ve got used to recording. They are both great interfaces regardless.
If there is audible difference between the too, would you forgive yourself having a couple of years worth of recordings that could have better quality and can't be fixed?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
If there is audible difference between the too, would you forgive yourself having a couple of years worth of recordings that could have better quality and can't be fixed?
forget about difference in sound between most newer quality interfaces: of course there is some, but it's their functions which really sets them apart!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapollo View Post
For your first interface, Audient would allow you to just record music. With the RME I feel TotalMix would take a solid bit of learning before you get used to it, especially if your completely new to audio interfaces.

On the contrary, I feel that NOT having the routing control and flexibility of TotalMix costs you in the long run, both in time and money. RME interfaces should last you 10 years, so buying both is a waste, and the time spent working around the routing limitations of a less flexible interface might take more time and compromise your workflow which you will kick yourself for once you do end up getting uour hands on the more flexible routing offered by totalMix.

Source: I replaced my Black Lion Sig Mod digi002r with a UFX+ and wondered why I waited so long

just my 2c
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
The audio quality difference is marginal from what I've heard - I own an RME Babyface Pro for at home/mobile and the new UFX II for in the studio. I previously had a couple of Focusrite and Presonus interfaces including the better ones like the Studio 192 etc). The preamps and AD/DA are generally all very similar in this range from what I have heard with my actual ears. The biggest difference between them all where RME is just flat out better is the driver software quality.

So I don't think this is particularly a concern.

Better recordings will come from better quality mic's and dedicated preamps in this domain. The RND Shelford Channel changed my lyf!

Quote:
On the contrary, I feel that NOT having the routing control and flexibility of TotalMix costs you in the long run, both in time and money. RME interfaces should last you 10 years, so buying both is a waste, and the time spent working around the routing limitations of a less flexible interface might take more time and compromise your workflow which you will kick yourself for once you do end up getting uour hands on the more flexible routing offered by totalMix.
I only say it might be worth working up to the RME with Totalmix coming from personal experience - I'm primarily a gigging musician with a background in computers for most of my life, had around 4 years recording before getting my Babyface Pro and it still took me a while to find my way around at first. Yes, it is easy and makes logical sense ONCE YOU ALREADY KNOW IT. So it depends on the person I guess. Just as a very first interface it's easy to be overwhelmed by it imo unless you're really tech/audio savy. Just imo though.

If you can afford the money and time however and really just want the best out the gate, then yeah - RME without a shadow of doubt :P
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What do I really get with greater routing options though? I just want to plug a synth or mic in, one at a time, record and overdub. This is why I am now leaning toward Audient.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFood View Post
What do I really get with greater routing options though? I just want to plug a synth or mic in, one at a time, record and overdub. This is why I am now leaning toward Audient.
My point exactly, if it's just you recording yourself or one other person... when first getting into recording? The Focusrite's and Audient's are excellent for it. Save your money imo. And don't bother upgrading until you feel like you're actually missing something, eg needing more inputs or features. And they're so cheap they can be kept as a spare or sold to a friend etc.

The better routing is for separate mixes (headphones/main moniters) and sending/receiving signals out to other pieces of hardware. Which I doubt you have since you're just starting. Maybe some other tasks which don't come to mind right now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have an Antelope Zen Tour, and picked up an Audient iD14 for use with a portable rig. The converters on the iD14 are not a million miles away from the Zen Tour.
Not quite as crystal clear, but still very detailed. Great preamps too.

I had a Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen before the Zen Tour, and a Steinberg UR824 before that. The 18i8 was a noticeable step down from the UR824, the iD14 would be something similar to the UR824. Hard to beat for the price.

The latest drivers and firmware for the iD14 now allow it to go as low as 16 samples in Win10. ASIO usage in Cubase is very good also. It comes bundled with a couple of really nice Eventide plugins, as well as Cubase LE 9.5 (10 now, I am assuming) which is a great starter DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I went with Audient. Thank you for all your suggestions, particularly Rapollo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFood View Post
oh yeah, if you are just looking for a couple of simultaneous inputs, and have no intention of using outboard then that probably makes the most sense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search